Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As apposed to the alternative, £5bn of tax payers money subsidising the network upgrade.

another alternative could be to fund that upgrade and seek a rent from private companies. its not clear why we need to borrow so much and to nationalise the telecoms industry, to deliver the objective of universal broadband access.

unless there is a different objective ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What about the independents building out fibre to areas Openreach aren’t? Talk Talk, Sky, smaller players like CityFibre, Gigaclear etc

There is no way a nationalisation in this area is feasible or a good idea.

Currently we are so far behind the rest of the developed world in superfast broadband it is a bit embarrassing. While Labour's approach is currently a plan, we know our current approach has been failing for over a decade and has been far from a good idea.

It's also not true smaller players build out fibre as Openreach is responsible for all the UKs fast fibre other than Virgin Medias cable network. The reason BT got fined such a huge some by Ofcom's £40m fine and £300m compensation to competitors is that they intentionally delayed installation that would benefit competitors.

We haven't seen the detail of Labour's plan yet. It might be the most basic package is free, then other companies can continue to use the infrastructure to offer faster speeds to those that want to pay it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
another alternative could be to fund that upgrade and seek a rent from private companies. its not clear why we need to borrow so much and to nationalise the telecoms industry, to deliver the objective of universal broadband access.

It's not the telecoms industry, it's Openreach. Slightly different. They haven't said yet whether private service providers could continue to offer better packages. It might be the offer is the most basic package is free, with upgrades available.I don't know, I haven't jumped to conclusions because I haven't seen all the detail, it was only announced this morning. :shrug:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I know of at least one road in Hove where all punters have to go via Virgin since the BT speed would be less than 5 due to the wirey cabley things.

Any issues, Virgin know they have them for keeps. Maybe Jezza's scheme will give them a release, once all of the necessaries have been completed of course.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's also not true smaller players build out fibre as Openreach is responsible for all the UKs fast fibre other than Virgin Medias cable network. The reason BT got fined such a huge some by Ofcom's £40m fine and £300m compensation to competitors is that they intentionally delayed installation that would benefit competitors.

Sorry mate but this shows you don’t really know what you are talking about.

You’re also talking about openreach being privatised - but openreach just lay cables and sell access. They don’t provide internet access so how does that help anyway? You then need a BT Retail or similar to provide internet over the top

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016

I assume because it could help drive the economy people having more spending power?

Still a good idea to put forward a rent. However, do you really envisage the Tories to be that savvy and make their rich friends pay up?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It currently costs people £300.00 a year for line rental and BB. I'm sure most people would prefer to pay a lot less or nothing when their money is ALREADY going towards dividends to private share holders for something nearly everybody now considers a necessity.

As apposed to the alternative, £5bn of tax payers money subsidising the network upgrade only for the PROFITS to go back to PRIVATE SHAREHOLDERS through DIVIDENDS. The TORIES are constantly giving YOUR money away to PRIVATE SHAREHOLDERS.

Considering what a AAA* job Jeremy Corbyn's Labour party have done in opposition I think we can all be certain their numerous nationalisation plans will be implemented smoothly, as advertised on time and on budget with no impact on the taxpayer...

tenor.gif

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Considering what a AAA* job Jeremy Corbyn's Labour party have done in opposition I think we can all be certain their numerous nationalisation plans will be implemented smoothly, as advertised on time and on budget with no impact on the taxpayer...

tenor.gif

After the Tories have set a precedent for trying to bypass and ignore Parliamentary majority to get their way it'd be fun to watch their implosion if Corbyn tried to do the same with renationalising everything. I'm assuming all the pro-Brexit people would be fine with it and absolutely wouldn't want any legal challenges to take place to stop it.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
implemented smoothly, as advertised on time and on budget with no impact on the taxpayer...

Why would it be a problem if it isn't? Doesn't seem to be a problem currently for big projects like Crossrail, Hs2, the roll out of Universal Credit etc etc. Whilst I don't think that is a good thing I am not sure that you can argue that it would somehow be different or worse under a different government.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Scotland Yard receives allegations of electoral fraud following Farage claims, says report

Nigel Farage accused No 10 of offering peerages to Brexit Party figures to get them to stand down before nominations closed.

Farage has said: “I expect there will be police investigations into what has gone on here.”

Well, according to the editor of the Left Foot Forward website, the Metropolitan Police has received “two allegations of electoral fraud and malpractice”.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016

tenor.gif

Do you like tax payers money going towards private shareholders pockets?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
0_Boris-Johnson-Campaigns-For-Conservatives-In-The-North-West.jpg

Boris unveiled his new BREXIT bus today.

bus-crash-fall-seat-smash-1339631408n.gif

Boris at the wheel, 5 minutes later.
Shouldn't that read:-

:Get the end of the start of Brexit done.
So we can then move on with what Brexit actually entails'.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It'll mean people will have easier access to further education. It'll mean people can apply for work. It'll mean people can make sure they get the correct payment from the wholly online Universal Credit system (or whatever it's successor will be called). All of which will help ensure that people no longer need to use food banks.

Wouldn't this be better achieved by putting money into local Library and mobile Library services instead? Would be far cheaper and easier and would provide all of this and more.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's been interesting following the reaction to the free broadband announcement. I don't see how it's something people can actually be against from a personal perspective (after all, given the choice, who wouldn't want free broadband?), although I can definitely see the practicality arguments. But what I think has been very interesting has been the way it's been criticised. I suspect there's a few anti-Corbyn / anti-Labour types who don't like that it's something which could genuinely be popular and as such are not sure how to counter it. Boris Johnson today called it a "crazed communist scheme", for example, but if communism means free broadband who is really complaining?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Scotland Yard receives allegations of electoral fraud following Farage claims, says report

Nigel Farage accused No 10 of offering peerages to Brexit Party figures to get them to stand down before nominations closed.

Farage has said: “I expect there will be police investigations into what has gone on here.”

Well, according to the editor of the Left Foot Forward website, the Metropolitan Police has received “two allegations of electoral fraud and malpractice”.

I'm afraid if you sleep with dogs you catch fleas...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Why would it be a problem if it isn't? Doesn't seem to be a problem currently for big projects like Crossrail, Hs2, the roll out of Universal Credit etc etc. Whilst I don't think that is a good thing I am not sure that you can argue that it would somehow be different or worse under a different government.

I agree most/all governments have a problematic track record in delivering big projects, therefore, it is likely to be much worse when a government wants to make numerous radical changes.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry mate but this shows you don’t really know what you are talking about.

You’re also talking about openreach being privatised - but openreach just lay cables and sell access. They don’t provide internet access so how does that help anyway? You then need a BT Retail or similar to provide internet over the top

It's not me, Labour have said they were only planning to privatise Openreach - exactly the cables and access. We don't know the full details of the plan yet, so I might not know, but you certainly don't know either. :wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not me, Labour have said they were only planning to privatise Openreach - exactly the cables and access. We don't know the full details of the plan yet, so I might not know, but you certainly don't know either. :wink:

we know they said also forcing other networks to allow access and it will be free. to deliver that you'll nationalise the industry, as there will be no viable market left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here