• Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
we know they said also forcing other networks to allow access and it will be free. to deliver that you'll nationalise the industry, as there will be no viable market left.

There could be a viable market because superfast broadband is pretty much any broadband service that offers min 24mbps. So the assumption is likely that is what would be offered for free. Those wanting upward of 24mbps may well have the option to pay to upgrade. I don't know the details. Perhaps Labour don't. They said today they hoped private suppliers would get on board, implying there is room for that. A lot of conclusions are being jumped to.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It's been interesting following the reaction to the free broadband announcement. I don't see how it's something people can actually be against from a personal perspective (after all, given the choice, who wouldn't want free broadband?), although I can definitely see the practicality arguments. But what I think has been very interesting has been the way it's been criticised. I suspect there's a few anti-Corbyn / anti-Labour types who don't like that it's something which could genuinely be popular and as such are not sure how to counter it. Boris Johnson today called it a "crazed communist scheme", for example, but if communism means free broadband who is really complaining?

But it's not free. Taxpayers will pay for it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Do you like tax payers money going towards private shareholders pockets?

Depends on the alternative options, incentivising private companies to improve the network may be a better/cheaper option. Do you think a nationalised company will always provide a better cost-effective service? Do you like taxpayers money being used inefficiently?

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Depends on the alternative options, incentivising private companies to improve the network may be a better/cheaper option. Do you think a nationalised company will always provide a better cost-effective service? Do you like taxpayers money being used inefficiently?
Do you believe that my tax money going into a private shareholders profits is my money being used "efficiently"?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The evidence so far is they've failed. The UK is hugely behind many other countries in its superfast BB delivery, and is also one of the most expensive. Why are you happy to stand behind the current model we have when it's failing the country?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But it's not free. Taxpayers will pay for it.

Yes. That's how Government funding works. And yet people never seem to have a problem when people describe the NHS as being free.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tax payers are already paying for it. Unless tax payers are already getting free broadband....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Amazing to think someone paying on average £30 pcm for their broadband is incredulous at 'taxpayers having to pay for the broadband'! :lolol:

That £360 per annum is after tax of course, so you've had to earn about £470 gross to cover it....

It's not like BT is some altruistic public minded company....https://www.hso.co.uk/leased-lines/technology-news/misc-tech-news/ofcom-to-regulate-bts-fibre-broadband-profit-margin

Surely when you dig into the industry, companies with MASSIVE profits and APPALLING customer service – you realise that maybe it's not working for the many?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Yes. That's how Government funding works. And yet people never seem to have a problem when people describe the NHS as being free.

Broadband is not free now, everybody has to pay. But we pay the same regardless of ability to pay.

The wonder of taxation is that you are able to take public goods and have them paid for in a way that ensures the burden falls mainly on those that can afford to pay (and generally are also those extracting most from the healthy economy created by investment in public goods).

Anyway, I've stayed out of this as I know f*ck all about fibre broadband etc. And it all seems to be going swimmingly well at the moment, in the hands of the private sector, anyway:

broadband.jpg

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m looking forward to Corbyn becoming PM, all these nice goodies that he’s offering are truly scrumptious.

We already pay for Broadband. :shrug: If I saved £360 on BB charges, quite happy to pay £360 extra in tax to be honest. In fact I'd be better off because I have paid the £360 after tax, so £360 deducted would actually be cheaper.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yes, hence why i referred to "my" tax money.

So we know you object to tax payers money going into private shareholders pockets.

What would you do to change this?

When did I say I objected to taxpayers money going into private shareholders pockets?

Let me know when you have the evidence that a nationalised system would be a guaranteed better, more efficient use of taxpayers money and not just an ideological nationalise anything that moves policy/election bribe.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We already pay for Broadband. :shrug: If I saved £360 on BB charges, quite happy to pay £360 extra in tax to be honest. In fact I'd be better off because I have paid the £360 after tax, so £360 deducted which actually be cheaper.

Truly incredible that the old Diane Abbott interview is almost used as a trope by those who object to Labour, yet, on this thread at least, it's the ones objecting to Labour who can't do basic maths.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
When did I say I objected to taxpayers money going into private shareholders pockets?

Let me know when you have the evidence that a nationalised system would be a guaranteed better, more efficient use of taxpayers money and not just an ideological nationalise anything that moves policy/election bribe.

So you do want tax payers money to go towards private profits?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here