Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not a Labour supporter however that isn't correct.

They plan to nationalise Open Reach which is owned by BT's holding company but is separate legal entity from BT.

and what will be the function of BT when broadband is free? BT sport and some commercial operations, run over the nationalised network, so it'll all be nationalised to deliver this.

It's not long ago, the idea was being thrown around it would be added to the licence fee.

and theres a wierd irony, free broadband but will still have the TV licence fee.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Corbyn is a joke. What will his next unaffordable bribe be? Every voter to be entitled to a place in the England squad for 2020 and dinner with Taylor Swift?

You should hear the Tory bloke, he can't remember his lies. He's not even sure how many kids he's got.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I see in the article they will be nationalised if they dont give access to their networks.

I'd imagine he is referring to the companies who currently lease their networks from Open Reach on long contracts. So effectively they are saying you can continue to run it but it's now free and funded by the multinational digital companies.

Otherwise we are taking it back under state control.

If what you are saying is true, Labour are threatening to nationalise Sky.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And today Farage reports abuse, intimidation and even attempted bribery (offers of jobs with the Tories if they stand down) directed at Brexit Party election candidates by teamBoris cheerleaders. Lovely people. I dislike both parties in the conflict but as you voted for one in the last election and will presumably vote for the other in the next you must be distraught.

#twonastyparties

I thought the Tory's were the party of " Business " ? Rather odd that they want to close down Farage's nice little business... especially when Nige was cleaning up on cash from prospective members who wanted to stand for parliament ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Free broadband . Labour are mad. How can that be afforded?

Well to give them credit (and I don't usually) the Tories are planning billions of "investment" which is really just a state subsidy to privately owned companies like BT Open Reach.

Labour are saying (as in the railways) if the state is having to fork out billions to a private company, why don't we just nationalise the private company ?

It's also quite clever to tax the multi-national digital companies to fund it. Because if it happened they would have no choice in reality. Their future growth relies on high speed networks.

Actually sounds like a good idea to me and I very rarely say that about Corbyn :ohmy:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd imagine he is referring to the companies who currently lease their networks from Open Reach on long contracts. So effectively they are saying you can continue to run it but it's now free and funded by the multinational digital companies.

Otherwise we are taking it back under state control.

If what you are saying is true, Labour are threatening to nationalise Sky.

i read it as the other end, the tier 1, tier 2 ISP that provide backbone infrastucture. Sky broadband and other consumer ISPs will be out of business.

and this isnt funded by multi-nationals, its funded by borrowing. anything raised from companies (if not avoided) will pay some of the running costs and debt. free broadband is a great vote winner, £20bn to fund the nationalisation is a problem.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Corbyn is a joke. What will his next unaffordable bribe be? Every voter to be entitled to a place in the England squad for 2020 and dinner with Taylor Swift?

I'll take that. The things i'd wanna do to Taylor Swift...

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Hastings, this thread is full of sanctimonious patronising individuals using it for collective whining therapy. No point trying to create any decent conversation.

Off you go then :wink:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

But if the state had money to spend what would you spend it on ?

A high speed rail network, a new airport or a high speed broadband network into every home ?

With the third we would be the envy of the world and a very attractive country for companies wishing to sell us stuff via it. It revolutionises the television industry. No-one in the country requires a TV aerial let alone a dish.

It would also be a very attractive proposition for industries who business to business interchange large files between themselves. Very attractive (for example) for media companies who are moving out of the UK because of Brexit.

Those companies (who would probably pay under a new state owned system) wouldn't give a stuff who owned the infrastructure, just as delivery industries care who owns the roads.

I'm coming from a position like the railways where I care more about they work and the coverage rather than who owns them.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I wouldn't worry about all the freebies corbyn is promising. They'll turn out to be 'ambitions'.

I’ve already called Virgin Media this morning to canx my media package, they asked why I was leaving them and I said don’t you watch the news, free broadband for everyone.

Oh and what with my upcoming 4 day week I might get Netflix ...

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This forum is just a bunch of middle aged middle class men shouting at clouds. This country need change and if you can't see that take a look outside for 5 minutes, or don't and keep voting tory so children keep turning up to school malnourished and teachers have to keep buying their pupils food and clothes.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I’ve already called Virgin Media this morning to canx my media package, they asked why I was leaving them and I said don’t you watch the news, free broadband for everyone.

Oh and what with my upcoming 4 day week I might get Netflix ...

Pie in the sky politics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here