Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd imagine he is referring to the companies who currently lease their networks from Open Reach on long contracts. So effectively they are saying you can continue to run it but it's now free and funded by the multinational digital companies.

Otherwise we are taking it back under state control.

If what you are saying is true, Labour are threatening to nationalise Sky.

The article names Virgin Media as one of the 'join us or we'll buy you' companies.

I've worked in telecoms for more years than I care to remember and this policy is utter lunacy. One of the industries that privatisation has really worked, and possibly the only one, is telecoms. It's driven prices down and speeds plus investment up. Companies like Virgin have invested HUGE amounts in creating their own network which interconnects to the internet - why on earth should they have to effectively sell their network to government ? Businesses can now have very high speeds for a few pounds. And there are plenty of smaller ISPs that have their own infrastructure - including fibre - such as CityFibre. The idea that the government could - a. run this and b. it would only cost £20bn is fanciful.

EDIT - and one of the reasons the cost Labour have suggested is fanciful is something called Excess Construction Charges (ECCs). These are one off charges to get a connection to a property. No charge if you're already in an area that is fully fibre covered. Different story if you're not. So an example, a customer of mine decided to place their business in the country side in a renovated barn. Very scenic. Spent loads on doing it up and creating a really nice office. Then they looked at getting a fibre internet connection. Problem being it was in the middle of nowhere - rural in government speak. Openreach refused to quote. Virgin Media came back with ECCs of ………….. £1m !!!!!! Now this is just one single business - and there are plenty of businesses in rural areas let alone private houses. There is no way the £20bn could even cover putting in the infrastructure even before accounting for 'buying' Openreach and other ISPs. Madness, utter madness.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Pie in the sky politics.

I'm waiting with bated breath for the next freebie.

The article names Virgin Media as one of the 'join us or we'll buy you' companies.

I've worked in telecoms for more years than I care to remember and this policy is utter lunacy. One of the industries that privatisation has really worked, and possibly the only one, is telecoms. It's driven prices down and speeds plus investment up. Companies like Virgin have invested HUGE amounts in creating their own network which interconnects to the internet - why on earth should they have to effectively sell their network to government ? Businesses can now have very high speeds for a few pounds. And there are plenty of smaller ISPs that have their own infrastructure - including fibre - such as CityFibre. The idea that the government could - a. run this and b. it would only cost £20bn is fanciful.

It's just been pointed out on the Today programme that free broadband is also the policy of another party at this election. The party? It begins with B and ends in rexit Party.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This forum is just a bunch of middle aged middle class men shouting at clouds. This country need change and if you can't see that take a look outside for 5 minutes, or don't and keep voting tory so children keep turning up to school malnourished and teachers have to keep buying their pupils food and clothes.

Don't worry, when Labour get in, they will nationalise Tesco and Sainsburys and everyone will have free food and clothes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But if the state had money to spend what would you spend it on ?

A high speed rail network, a new airport or a high speed broadband network into every home ?

a broadband network and universal service is a really good idea - lets do that. build out network to cover gaps, subsidise uneconomical parts. if we are worried about state subsidy of business then own that built capacity and lease it back to the industry.

problem with the announced policy is how much it will cost (it'll be more than £20bn for the infrastructure and nationalisation), for a service that far beyond what is needed for universal service. its like building out a 2 lane road network to every house and a delivery service by lorry every day, for free. we pay for universal service of roads and postal services, why not pay something for broadband? borrowing billions is one thing, not even expecting any costs to be met is simply not sustainable.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Don't worry, when Labour get in, they will nationalise Tesco and Sainsburys and everyone will have free food and clothes.

That policy has already been introduced by the Tories austerity measures with the increased need of people using food banks and clothing banks. It's proved very successful in a constituency like mine, with child poverty now 8% above the national average, since Universal Credit roll out.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That policy has already been introduced by the Tories austerity measures with the increased need of people using food banks and clothing banks. It's proved very successful in a constituency like mine, with child poverty now 8% above the national average, since Universal Credit roll out.

I have to acknowledge that as a very clever answer to my tongue in cheek remark, Sussex Man, and whatever the merits or otherwise of Universal Credit, I do believe the administration and implementation of UC has left an awful lot to be desired and has caused unneccessary hardship in many cases.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1195045327050625031[/TWEET]

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Watching Johnson interviewed by Naga Munchetty on the BBC this morning and Corbyn interviewed by Laura Kuenssberg last night, it struck me that, in their different ways, they are both fairly awful in formal interviews. Johnson is a waffler and just comes across as making it up and not being remotely genuine while Corbyn just can't hide his feelings of distain and annoyance at being asked questions and having to explain things. Corbyn is clearly a lot more comfortable, when meeting real people, while Johnson knows how to play up to a friendly crowd and to put on an act. But in these more formal settings, under pressure, slick they are not!

Personally I don't give a toss, I'm interested in their actual politics, and the people around each of them, but I wonder whether this contrast will have much impact on voters as they see alot more of this, and especially wonder how the head-to-head debate is going to play out...could be pretty painful on both sides.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Watching Johnson interviewed by Naga Munchetty on the BBC this morning and Corbyn interviewed by Laura Kuenssberg last night, it struck me that, in their different ways, they are both fairly awful in formal interviews. Johnson is a waffler and just comes across as making it up and not being remotely genuine while Corbyn just can't hide his feelings of distain and annoyance at being asked questions and having to explain things. Corbyn is clearly a lot more comfortable, when meeting real people, while Johnson knows how to play up to a friendly crowd and to put on an act. But in these more formal settings, under pressure, slick they are not!

Personally I don't give a toss, I'm interested in their actual politics, and the people around each of them, but I wonder whether this contrast will have much impact on voters as they see alot more of this, and especially wonder how the head-to-head debate is going to play out...could be pretty painful on both sides.

The head-to-head is going to be a car crash. I'd rather watch Emmerdale.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

spot on. and neither of them really have any ideas for themselves, they are fed everything from others.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Free Fibre.
So how exactly will it work? Fibre is essentially a telephone line which costs £18 month (roughly) and then the internet is thrown in on top. My fibre & line rental costs me £24 month so will my bill be reduced to £18 or, if I'm getting a line for free, will that include a phone line?
What exactly will be 'free'?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
spot on. and neither of them really have any ideas for themselves, they are fed everything from others.

With these two it really is a choice of the fantasist or the liar

Even if Brexit wasn't in the equation I'd still be voting Lib Dems, the only national party with sensible ideas.

Critically they will deal with the Climate Emergency as top priority, we started the industrial revolution we need to spearhead the next revolution. Time for leadership, Brexit or not...

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Free Fibre.
So how exactly will it work? Fibre is essentially a telephone line which costs £18 month (roughly) and then the internet is thrown in on top. My fibre & line rental costs me £24 month so will my bill be reduced to £18 or, if I'm getting a line for free, will that include a phone line?
What exactly will be 'free'?

Its a silly idea, but plenty of silly people will like it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Can't wait to hear the details on this free broadband.I expect they will get the BBC to run it,round up the compulsory license fee to £200 a head to pay for it,and put Balding and Spanneker in charge.Free unicorns for all:mad:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Free full-fibre broadband to EVERY household is a very metropolitan idea; From an engineering perspective it's relatively easy in towns and cities but getting it to the top of a mountain or a Scottish island (many of which are currently fed by radio) presents a whole raft of problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here