Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The future of the phone-in

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
Dont you dare give it up Harty!!! Getting rid of the phone in would be like stopping pre match beers!!

Ignore the minority of comments you get on here - sometimes people forget - THIS IS ONLY AN INTERNET CHAT BOARD!!!

Lush

Mods' Pet
Trotster said:
Dont you dare give it up Harty!!! Getting rid of the phone in would be like stopping pre match beers!!

Ignore the minority of comments you get on here - sometimes people forget - THIS IS ONLY AN INTERNET CHAT BOARD!!!

Wise words from a wise woman.

I bet when Harty was selling Gulls Eye there were a few people who said "I'm not buying that f**king rubbish, it's crap".

It's just a few ill-considered comments on NSC. Don't slit your wrists over it. You know you do a great job.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I concur on the whole - the phone-in works because it isn't 606 or any one of the other similar programmes out there, it echoes the feelings of the fans, and it is run by a fan, which is too rare for clubs in the lower leagues - it's always interesting listening.

As for Mike Ward, I don't like his column, I did like his book, I'm indifferent about his commentary - but we've all got different opinions, so I can't see the harm in that minor debate if you take in in context

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Don't give it up Harty. Ignore the ignorant.

Your passion for the Albion and your contribution to ALL our campaigns, not just Falmer, has been inspirational.

Best wishes for the business.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
For me, the phone-in is like the uncle you see at Christmas - sometimes you are embarrassed by him, and for him, at his antics - but it wouldn't be the same without him! :lolol:

Anyway - they can't get rid of you Harty - you know where all the bodies are buried! :rolleyes:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
A phone in is only as good as it's callers so I suggest you stop letting SHEEBO on.

Only kidding.

Just gonna echo everybody elses comments. The moaners are probably the same people that don't bother ringing in to out their view across. If they did the pace of the show would probably pick up and the chat would become more lively.

Keep it up Harty.

It is a vital part of the after match service. I say this as someone who could not make it to the game on Saturday and whilst listening and looking at NSC may have posted a couple of derogitory comments about a couple of callers (No one on here that I am aware of), but surely that is half the fun of it.

When you get strange and pointless callers, unfortuately at times it is but human nature to mock. I agree you can't vet them all, but would argue that slating a fool does not constitute an attack on the show or those producing it.

Apologies if necessary. As Mickey says ' Keep the Faith'.

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
I listen fairly regularly, and have to say I always enjoy it when I do.

No complaints here:)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Don't let them beat you harty,I personally think the shows great
and its good to hear some of the anti-falmer brigade as well
because they always trip themselves up and sound complete
idiots.I remember b4 we had the phone-in/live commentary and
it was complete tosh listening to bbc radio surrey with a odd
bit about the albion.keep it going or as mickey would have
said "KEEP THE FAITH"

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I used to switch on to Five Live after matches as I couldn't give a monkeys about how Woking, Farnborough, Aldershot et al got on. I could never understand why the interviews went on for sooooooo long.

Moving the phone-in to after the game was a masterstroke as it meant that people who had attended the game could give their opinions about what they had just seen. It also meant an end to the likes of Hugo wasting valuable time each week wittering on about what they think might happen. The phone-in is now very much part of my match experience and I often sit in the car outside my house for the last ten minutes or so to make sure I don't miss any. I am never tempted to listen to Five Live anymore on a match day, except when I have to on the way back from an away match.

Regret I have never called in, but next year when I go to fewer games (due to family circumstances) may be tempted. Keep up the good work Harty!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Harty, the phone-in show is an important link between the fans and the club, so you must keep it going. I am a regular listener and think the show is great.

As regards the North Stand Chat username question, I don't see that there's much of a problem. Nobody's going to stop contacting the show because the previous callers name was Sheebo, rather than Colin or something.

Right now I think people are generally pissed off because of the Falmer situation and having to go to Withdean, so take all the negativity with a pinch of salt.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
NSC is a very small and somewhat unrepresentative part of the Albion support. I sometimes worry about this board. When its good, its superb as in galvanising people for Falmer etc, but when its bad, it can dissapear right up its own arse. Someone posts something vaguely amusing about Roberts or david Lee and before you know it 10 other peole have posted responses to try and be funnier, shock or top the post before it. This then gives the impression that the vast majority feel the same way. To be honest if I was a player reading this board, I would probably think that alot of the comments on here are uninformed, unfunny and made by spotty 20 somethings working in IT who think its funny to refer to Roberts as Coco. Yeah really really funny and really going to endear him to the fans. So f*** 'em Harty, your talking about 10% of the Albion support at most, this isn't a representative place to judge whether the phone works or not, just keep it lively.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Southy said:
NSC is a very small and somewhat unrepresentative part of the Albion support. I sometimes worry about this board. When its good, its superb as in galvanising people for Falmer etc, but when its bad, it can dissapear right up its own arse. Someone posts something vaguely amusing about Roberts or david Lee and before you know it 10 other peole have posted responses to try and be funnier, shock or top the post before it. This then gives the impression that the vast majority feel the same way. To be honest if I was a player reading this board, I would probably think that alot of the comments on here are uninformed, unfunny and made by spotty 20 somethings working in IT who think its funny to refer to Roberts as Coco. Yeah really really funny and really going to endear him to the fans. So f*** 'em Harty, your talking about 10% of the Albion support at most, this isn't a representative place to judge whether the phone works or not, just keep it lively.

:clap: :clap:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Southy said:

Exactly! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Harty: is it still possible to ring in for John Byrne's opinion on the home matches? :cool:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've got to say I agree whole-heartedly with what the majority of people have said. It is only a minority who slag off the phone-in, but they listen anyway, doesn't that say something?

Personally I enjoy listening to the show as I wend my way back up to Guildford, and apparently my route home is better than Bwian's as I always get to hear the end of the show. The drive home wouldn't be the same without it.

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well said Southy!

Keep the phone-in on the airwaves. A Saturday late afternoon (or indeed Tuesday evening) wouldn't be the same without it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here