Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The future of the phone-in

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
Keep it up mate a lot of people listen to it who are not Albion fans but live in Sussex and we can get our message across to them, also the anti Falmer's who do phone are unbelievable like the guy from Hastings who kept on calling Falmer Fulmar.
Ignore the whingers keep it up.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
After every home game I get on the Park & Ride, into the car, switch on the phone in. It's all part of the day. To take it away would be like removing the pre-match beer. It's just not on.

Tazman

Jul 5, 2003
Seaford Where else!
Harty, stick with the phone-in. Most people who knock your show on here are just saying things to provoke a reaction. They'll be the first to complain if there was no albion show at all. Ignore the critics and carry on doing what you enjoy doing...Stuff 'em!
Loving your work ! :clap2:

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Turkey said:
After every home game I get on the Park & Ride, into the car, switch on the phone in. It's all part of the day. To take it away would be like removing the pre-match beer. It's just not on.

Same here - as soon as we're in the car the radio is straight on!

Don't let the moaners grind you down Harty - purely from the fact there is so much said about the phone-in on here shows that you're generating passion amongst fans.
I'm sure if there was no mention of your show you'd be far more worried?
You can't please 'em all so just keep doing what you've been doing so well :clap2: :clap:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
For various reasons, i don't get to listen to the phone-in as much as I would like but when I do, it's a great listen.

Harty, you are rare amongst those people who are let loose on our airwaves. You are a genuine fan of the subject matter of the phone-in and are given licence to broadcast this. This cannot be done with the (Nationwide) coverage of FiveLive and TalkSport.

Keep it up mate

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Harty never give it up my friend THE PHONE IN IS PART OF THE ALBION. there are stupid people who are too scared to phone in themselves on here that slag off others -i've had abuse from people saying i sound like all sorts - rise above it as i do - the phone in is great listning for the journey home

regards

Sheebo

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Harty,

As soon as I leave the Withdean, the radio goes on. Your show is very much like an extension of the game itself and Saturdays would be the poorer without the phone in.

In any democratic society you are going to get your fair share of moaners and whingers and local radio is no different. Perhaps the answer is just to ignore what these people say and crack on with the job in hand. If they know they're getting to you, it will only encourage them further.

Every true Brighton fan knows that you have the club's best interests at heart Ian, so please stay on and keep up the good work.

And for it's worth, the fact that there are occasional hitches with the programme just make it all the more entertaining. There is nothing more boring in life than perfection.

Good on ya.

:clap: :clap2: :clap: :clap2:

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree 100% with what Lord Bracknell says I believe that NSC names should not be permitted on the radio. When the person refuses to give theier name the telephone operators do not have to call them back, as they usually do. I phone in with my views, which others may or may not agree with but at least I use my correct name and am prepared to answer any critisicm that arises and God knows I have had some over the years.

Brian previously from Guildford, Midhurst, Burges Hill and now from Haywards Heath.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Couldn't callers give both their NSC names and real names if there are worries about people hiding behind aliases?

:)

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I feel safer using Yorkie than I do using my real name which is very unusual

Not being offensive but Brian or Simon is fairly anonymous.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yorkie said:
I feel safer using Yorkie than I do using my real name which is very unusual

Not being offensive but Brian or Simon is fairly anonymous.

As is Zebedee come to that.

:D

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
ditto yorkie - everyone calls me sheebo anyway - albion related or not - i doubt harty could pronounce Sheehan without hearing me say it first!! it's hard!

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Harty, just remember that the moaners on NSC are only a small minority and as such are not representative of NSC let alone all Brighton fans.

They have NSC as a forum, and when they go onto your show they need to remember they represent their own opinion and no-one elses.

Keep up the good work.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Thanks for all your support, you will appreciate that the move I'm making in my day job is probably, aside from marriage and fatherhood, the biggest step I've ever taken and as Keith is Helsinki points out my leisure time at SCR is very important. But when I eventually got back from Vale Park on Saturdaynight, as always I logged on to NSC to see yet more slating of both the phone-in and Mike Ward and I really wondered if we were wasting our time.
I know were not, probably deep down I always did and I'm now looking to going to Saltergate tomorrow night with Sir Norman for three points and full and frank exchange of opinions on the phone-in.
Thanks again.
Harty

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hey, good work Harty, just ignore the wankers.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
No don't quit Harty! We love the phone in! Everybody who has said that it's part of the day is right. It's great. I love the brilliant mixture of callers from the old timers to the children that phone in.

Keep it up! (And that goes for your column in the Herald too!)

The moaners are probably the same bunch who sit in stoney silence at Withdean.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would suggest that when the phone in comes on air that the moaners stick their fingers in their ears. At least they won't be accused of being wankers for a short while.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Keep going Harty - the fact that the show is a bit rough around the edges is part of it's appeal.

Granted callers like Fifi etc can be irritating but they lighten up the show and I for one feel we are lucky to have a phone in at all. Most of the people who knock the show probably arn't Albion fans anyway.

Good luck with the new job.
Andy

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There you go Harty, whole hearted approval of the phone-in from here.

I agree with a couple of things, if the callers won't give theier real names you don't have to have them on, but more importantly, if people start slagging off the presenters then cut them off, I doubt any of us will care.

It's not about you letting all people have their say, you are a Brighton fan, you wear your heart on your sleeve, you hang up on them if they are being abusive.

Phone-in - YES

:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here