Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The future of the phone-in

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
To be honest I'm getting a little bit tired of this endless slagging off of the phone-in, Mike Ward and other related issues.
A number of you may already know that I have recently resigned from my job and am about to start up 'IAN HART FUNERAL SERVICE' in Worthing so really in some ways my priorities are about to change.
I love doing the phone-in, it took a long time and a lot of badgering to get the thing on in the correct slot, post match, but if people really dislike that much is there any point going on?
Colon may not be the best producer in the world, maybe not even the second best, be he does his best and basically like me its his hobby.
For those who want an all singing all dancing slick professional show, its not going to happen, this local radio with strict budgetary controls, we all do our best but as I've said before the content is dictated by the callers.
As for Mike Ward, I wish people would get off his case, he helps me out on SCR and I actually think he comes across very well.
So basically its quite simple if you don't want the phone-in keep slagging it off and slating the people connected with it, and sooner or later we'll probably go back to what we had before, part Albion, with Aldershot, Woking and Farnborough thrown in for good measure.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Stick with it Harty. There is only a minority even here that moan about it and about Wardy.

The fans could help out by ringing in with proper Albion issues.
I agree with what you say about Mike Ward. I've met the guy and he is a decent bloke.

So to you on NSC if you think you can do any better then contact SCR otherwise leave Harty alone.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
harty, even if people slag the show (which is a small minority on here, and this site certainly doesnt cover all fans) they still listen.

i think its a cracking show, we dont WANT a professional all singing and dancing job, we want a FANS phone in, and thats exactly what it is.

keep up the good work i say, everything will have its doubters. just take on any useful constructive crtiicism and ignore the general abuse!!!

:clap: :clap:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You can't please everyone but that's life.

Check your PMs as well - there appears to be a spoof texter

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Keep up the good work Harty, yes it might not be the most professional show on the radio but its 100% Albion and deserves to be praised :clap: :clap: :clap:

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Harty you are an Albion legend, and you have done a lot of hard work for the club. You should keep up the hard work with phone-in and not let the moaners get to you.

:clap: :clap2: :clap:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
I quite agree, Ian. I enjoy listening to the phone-in on my way home from matches at Withdean and, although I don't agree with some of what is said, at least it creates an opportunity for Brighton fans to have a say. I'd rather that than having to listen to 606 or Talk Sport with high flying Premiershite fans moaning on about how they're in crisis when they lose the odd game! Also, what has Mike Ward done wrong? He supports Brighton now, having previously supported a Premiership team. His style will obviously not suit everyone's taste but he is a regular at Withdean and I have seen him at away matches too. Keep up the good work, I'd miss it if it went off the air!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Stuart Munday said:
Keep up the good work Harty, yes it might not be the most professional show on the radio but its 100% Albion and deserves to be praised :clap: :clap: :clap:
is right , after albion games wouldn't be right without the show!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
harty,theirs a lot of twats on this board that slag it of,at the end of the day you dont have to rise to their level,keep it up mate i know with my several chats face to face with you,your bha through and t hrough and as i said half of the posters havent a clue,keep it up fella and respect to you as always,not the twats that slag you off behind their keyboards!!!!!

Keith B Wetherill

Oct 6, 2003
Helsinki,Finland
:dunce: Ian,
I didn't have you down for a quitter! You must know by now that Albion fans contain amongst the numbers some real fickle people.
Just ignor the knockers. This phone-in is important to most of the fans,the format is A OK,it doesn't need changing and above all it doesn't need ANY change of personnel at all..
Now from the Nordic countries the best of luck with your new venture,REMEMBER to leave time to relax,and you do that best on SCR.
Keith..Helsinki

There seem to be some people who think the phone-in should be an extension of North Stand Chat. It can't. And it shouldn't.

I'd like to see an end to the practice of NSC users calling in under their NSC names. To the average phone-in listener, this gives the impression that there is a "special community" of Albion fans who are acting as if they have particular insights into the Club and its doings. The effect can only be to discourage other potential callers from phoning in.

And just because someone doesn't agree with the NSC consensus on a particular topic, doesn't mean that they are wrong, or (worse) that their opinions aren't worthy of respect from the NSC community.

That's not to say that views expressed on the phone-in should be exempt from being slagged off here. But don't blame Harty for what is said by some callers.

SCR doesn't vet callers' opinions before letting them on. And neither does Harty. So stop slagging him off.

I remember the phone-in when it was fest of Farnborough fans, a wittering of Woking women and only a smattering of Seagulls supporters. Let's heed Harty's warning. And support him in keeping it the way he wants it.

And good luck with the business, Ian.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Ian,

Stick with it. I personally really enjoy it, I can only ditto Yorkies comments, its great and its only the very small minority on here that seem to put time aside every week to come and slate it. It is because a small number of people 'dislike' it that they start threads, the thing is, when its a good phone in (and it generally is) it isnt worth commenting on. This therefor makes it look as though you are not wanted. Which couldnt be further from the truth.

I think your funny guy, and the jokes at colon are a good laugh. The caller are generally very interesting i.e lush/yorkie/rougvie etc however when complete nutcases like Fifi get on, its quite interesting to see the different ways you can find to get rid of them!

Keep the faith, we enjoy listening to it that goes for everyone, not just NSCers, I look forward to it after the game. If anyone has a problem with it then why dont they come on the show - the reason they dont? because there cowards.

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT LISTEN TO IT. BUT DONT GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO MAKE OTHER PEOPLES LIVES DIFFICULT.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Harty, can understand your annoyance. There is a handful of bores on this board who always know better. Frankly they're legends in teir own minds, ignore and keep up the good work.

Maybe the detractors should just switch off.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Come on Ian - don't let the buggers get you down.. we are all bound to whinge about something said--- it's not worth quitting over though. Reign on my son...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Ian,

I love the show, really enjoy the phone in and the callers. Always like hearing the likes of Sheebo and Yorkie calling in. I am guilty of criticising Mike Ward this week but that was for one reason. You asked his opinion of a couple of incidents and he replied that he did not see them as he gets distracted and drifts in and out the game.

To me, this was frustrating. I wanted to hear what happened in the game as I could not make it in person, his comments were not particulaly helpful shall we say.

The rest of the show is top class and I for one would miss it very much indeed should it come to an end. Perhaps you could invite a different NSChatter to each away game to comment and give opnions on points in the game they DID see.

Keep up the good work mate

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I like the phone in for all it's faults. It's local radio so people can't expect top presenters and I for one don't particularly want them.

It would be very hard to find a more passionate Albion biased host than Harty. If the phone in came to an end it would be a big loss to a lot of Albion fans.

There may be some whingers but to be honest they are a minority. The fact that so many of us listen to the show surely shows that we want it. My guess is that without Harty then phone in would be lost to us. Stick at it mate.

BTW Harty, if you stop doing it I may have to start another online petition for it's revival!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I just wish I could continue listening to it as I wend my way up the A23 en route to Guildford.

As soon as I'm near Handcross Hill (or whatever it's called) the signal disappears. Bollocks to the Surrey/Sussex split-Albion fans live in and around Crawley, Redhill and around the M25.

You lot who moan about the phone in should try listening to the cack that goes out to Surrey.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Wilko said:
Ian,

I love the show, really enjoy the phone in and the callers. Always like hearing the likes of Sheebo and Yorkie calling in. I am guilty of criticising Mike Ward this week but that was for one reason. You asked his opinion of a couple of incidents and he replied that he did not see them as he gets distracted and drifts in and out the game.

To me, this was frustrating. I wanted to hear what happened in the game as I could not make it in person, his comments were not particulaly helpful shall we say.

The rest of the show is top class and I for one would miss it very much indeed should it come to an end. Perhaps you could invite a different NSChatter to each away game to comment and give opnions on points in the game they DID see.

Keep up the good work mate
Well said Wilko,I agree with all your points.I would certainly miss the phone-in if it ended,and I think we should count ourselves lucky that we get the opportunity to express our opinions immediately after a game.If we had to rely on the National stations we would barely get a mention

Last edited:

Chin up Harty!

Do you remember the advice you gave Yorkie this week when she said she would get slated for her views on Trev? You told her not to worry, it was just an opinion.

Really that's all this NSC wittering about the phone-in and Wardy is too. I find it a bit tiresome too but it's a free country and people are allowed crappy bolix opinions.

I don't think a few moaners on NSC should in any way affect the phone-in. You know how valuable a service it is - it would be terrible if it ever went. Do you really need all these people on this thread telling you how wonderful you are - come on!

And dear old Wardy is fat enough to stand up for himself surely.

When you take a high-profile role in the media, you need a tough skin. Because it doesn't matter how many people praise you in this thread, you know full well that next week the same knockers will come out of the woodwork and start again. It goes with the territory, sadly.

It's not just you who gets boring cheap shots, but also the Argus too and Andy Naylor, in fact anyone in any remotely high-profile role, Paul Camillin all the way to Dick Knight, anyone is fair game to small-minded jealous nobodies.

Although I suspect these days maybe you join in with the Argus slagging :lolol:

Can I just back up Lord B's point about people not using silly messageboard names on the phone-in. Obviously it's fine if it's the nickname people generally know you as, but otherwise it sounds utter self-indulgent WANK

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here