Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The fella who "invaded" the pitch

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Carting him off seemed a bit harsh.

In the aftermath I would have just booted him out and told him not to be so silly, in future.

No names no pack drill.

Totally agree. That was the way I was dealt with at the Goldstone on more than one occassion; thrown out by the OB, waited until the gates opened and went back in. But that was then. We didn't have an authoritarian CEO then who saw banning fans for very minor indescretions like this as a badge of honour.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
That's right. Tony Bloom runs an evil empire just to make money at our expense and his staff spend their time planning how to upset home fans. Pathetic take.

More out of frustration this one, its quite annoying as have emailed the club several times, one which was clearly a 1901 member who passed on his ticket to Aston Villa fans, who spent 90 minutes shouting homophobic abuse at our players from the home end (albeit this was a few years ago, and nothing was done). I've been repeatedly told that they pay their money and that it is fine. It would be incredibly useful if the staff on the day actually did something about this, as even on tuesday there was at least 1 Chelsea fan in the home end who spent his time singing Chelsea songs. The season ticket seats next to me have repeatedly been given to opposition supporters this season, and I've been told they are complimentary seats from the club. I don't think he runs an evil empire, which is a ridiculous over exaggeration, but certainly at the moment some decisions that have been made (probably not by Tony Bloom himself) have upset the fans, which could be perceived as money orientated.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I feel for the lad if banned just for this, however, it has been mentioned on this thread there may also have been an issue with the same person at the CPFC game.

We see every home game a montage on the screen of a fan running on the pitch celebrating promotion to the Premier League so the offence is a fan encroaching on the pitch therefore I doubt that fan (along with a possible 10,000 others) was/were banned so what's the difference if pitch encroachment is the offence ?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I feel for the lad if banned just for this, however, it has been mentioned on this thread there may also have been an issue with the same person at the CPFC game.

We see every home game a montage on the screen of a fan running on the pitch celebrating promotion to the Premier League so the offence is a fan encroaching on the pitch therefore I doubt that fan (along with a possible 10,000 others) was/were banned so what's the difference if pitch encroachment is the offence ?

Deleted

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
More out of frustration this one, its quite annoying as have emailed the club several times, one which was clearly a 1901 member who passed on his ticket to Aston Villa fans, who spent 90 minutes shouting homophobic abuse at our players from the home end (albeit this was a few years ago, and nothing was done). I've been repeatedly told that they pay their money and that it is fine. It would be incredibly useful if the staff on the day actually did something about this, as even on tuesday there was at least 1 Chelsea fan in the home end who spent his time singing Chelsea songs. The season ticket seats next to me have repeatedly been given to opposition supporters this season, and I've been told they are complimentary seats from the club. I don't think he runs an evil empire, which is a ridiculous over exaggeration, but certainly at the moment some decisions that have been made (probably not by Tony Bloom himself) have upset the fans, which could be perceived as money orientated.

Some of that is basic stewarding. I’d be texting the response line to report abuse during a game. And if nothing done film it and be sending it to the club after.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Totally agree. That was the way I was dealt with at the Goldstone on more than one occassion; thrown out by the OB, waited until the gates opened and went back in. But that was then. We didn't have an authoritarian CEO then who saw banning fans for very minor indescretions like this as a badge of honour.

I wasn't aware we did have a CEO who saw banning fans for very minor indiscretions like this as a badge of honour.
I wasn't aware anyone had been banned yet.
I didn't realise that when writing about multiple cases, the club were actually specifically talking about only one of them, the one that was the most minor.
We do now know that the one minor infraction isn't an exuberant one off.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I wasn't aware we did have a CEO who saw banning fans for very minor indiscretions like this as a badge of honour.
I didn't realise that when writing about multiple cases, the club were actually specifically talking about only one of them, the one that was the most minor.
We do now know that one minor infraction isn't an exuberant one off.

Well you've learnt something new today! :thumbsup:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

That would annoy me indeed, to have those seats next to me. Don't like rules bent to suit the club, particularly when money seems an influence, when they are rigid the other way (towards the normal, basic fan, you know the lifeblood of the club). Another thing to put you off the "Premier League Experience".

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We do now know that one minor infraction isn't an exuberant one off.

As always posters are getting over excited and using their spare time to compare today’s football/Albion with that of the 70s and to have a pop at the club we all say we love.

People are criticising the punishment before, i believe one has been dealt. On the surface the over excited fan was just that but from reports (on here) it’s not the first time and he was possibly on a warning.

Where do we draw the line on entering the pitch? Is it ok to go on the pitch “a little bit”, or on the pitch perimeter? Or should the boundary be the perimeter wall/fence? I know what is less ambiguous.

My bigger concern was the casual stewarding approach to the Chelsea fans that wandered on the pitch unchallenged at the end of the match and approached numerous players. Who knows what a drugged/boozed up nutter might do? Similarly the idiots who went on the pitch at the Palace game, potentially inciting other fans to do the same. I’d like to see a hit squad deployed to deal with them very very robustly.

So where do we draw the line? I would say any encroachment is an offence with each case being judged on its merits with the starting point being you should have been behind the wall.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
As always posters are getting over excited and using their spare time to compare today’s football/Albion with that of the 70s and to have a pop at the club we all say we love.

People are criticising the punishment before, i believe one has been dealt. On the surface the over excited fan was just that but from reports (on here) it’s not the first time and he was possibly on a warning.

Where do we draw the line on entering the pitch? Is it ok to go on the pitch “a little bit”, or on the pitch perimeter? Or should the boundary be the perimeter wall/fence? I know what is less ambiguous.

My bigger concern was the casual stewarding approach to the Chelsea fans that wandered on the pitch unchallenged at the end of the match and approached numerous players. Who knows what a drugged/boozed up nutter might do? Similarly the idiots who went on the pitch at the Palace game, potentially inciting other fans to do the same. I’d like to see a hit squad deployed to deal with them very very robustly.

So where do we draw the line? I would say any encroachment is an offence with each case being judged on its merits with the starting point being you should have been behind the wall.

The line is just that its the gage indicating what is/is not acceptable but does need some interpretation just a bit of common sense really. Webster ran towards the fans and the fan(s) ran to the players one (at least) crossed a line and in retrospect it was clear there was no real issue. If he has been warned before then its a different matter but personally a slapped wrist might be enough.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I have noted the pearl clutchers who got all high and mighty about a curt response from Barber-Out a couple of weeks ago, are currently all over the socials sticking to boot into 'their' club, again.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We do now know that the one minor infraction isn't an exuberant one off.

We have a number of ground regulations which are common at most stadiums and then there are criminal offence. Leeds were pretty clear about this in their recent statement https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59896151. I'm sure the club have a legal obligation to provide details of any individuals breaking laws whilst at the stadium no matter how minor supporters may feel these are, similarly anything that people may have done in the 70's isn't the same measure of standard that is used now

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have a number of ground regulations which are common at most stadiums and then there are criminal offence. Leeds were pretty clear about this in their recent statement https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59896151. I'm sure the club have a legal obligation to provide details of any individuals breaking laws whilst at the stadium no matter how minor supporters may feel these are, similarly anything that people may have done in the 70's isn't the same measure of standard that is used now

and yet look at the state of this thread before a decision has even been made.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I think t's worth remembering the very stern warning that went out from the club (from PB himself I think?) about not going on the pitch/bans being issued etc towwards the end of our promotion season. In the event I remember stewards putting steps in place to help us get over the barriers and Barber laughing about it afterwards and saying ' that went well didn't it'.

Sometimes the club have to be seen to say something. Sometimes we need to learn to read between the lines and understand what is really being said and not take things too literally in order to get pleasure from being offended.

(notwithstanding the possibility of previous offences) I definitely didn't read that statement as 'that lad that hugged Webster is gong to be banned for life even if it's the first time he's been in trouble'. Maybe I will be proven wrong. But I suspect I won't.

What I read is: Don't be an arse and run around on the pitch when we score or after the match, to look good in front of your mates, because that's going to get you into real trouble and don't say we haven't warned you'

Which seems fair.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I was always amused on the last days of the seasons at the Goldstone where you would often get warnings over the PA system telling us that under no circumstances were we to run on the pitch, do not do it. Immediately followed by "In the event of a fire, please make your way onto the pitch."

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I'd just like to highlight this isn't a Brighton problem, its a PL problem, I can think of the last 4 or 5 games I've been to of all clubs there have been idiots on the pitch after late goals / final whistle. Sunderland v Arsenal there were 3 going around asking for shirts after Patino's late goal and again after the final whistle. Even at Boreham Wood v St Albans there were 4 pitch invaders in injury time, I think its the fault of viral videos of it actually working to get shirts. PL need to make a statement about it as it is happening every game.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd just like to highlight this isn't a Brighton problem, its a PL problem, I can think of the last 4 or 5 games I've been to of all clubs there have been idiots on the pitch after late goals / final whistle. Sunderland v Arsenal there were 3 going around asking for shirts after Patino's late goal and again after the final whistle. Even at Boreham Wood v St Albans there were 4 pitch invaders in injury time, I think its the fault of viral videos of it actually working to get shirts. PL need to make a statement about it as it is happening every game.

Didn't we even have a child who got put on the pitch at the end of a Liverpool game to go round and try and get a shirt or something equally embarrassing / irresponsible?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I was always amused on the last days of the seasons at the Goldstone where you would often get warnings over the PA system telling us that under no circumstances were we to run on the pitch, do not do it. Immediately followed by "In the event of a fire, please make your way onto the pitch."

The rainbow bridge in Tokyo bay offers excellent views of the city. When it was first opened there were signs exhorting you to not stop on the bridge on all the approach roads and repeated for most of the length of the bridge itself. I said ‘most’ because there was one sign that read ‘if you must stop on the bridge to admire the view, stop here’.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here