Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The fella who "invaded" the pitch

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Indeed. Far more pressing and important. There was no one endangered last night by a bit of over enthusiastic celebration. The events after the Palace game were far more serious.

It's ok as apparently there was a sincere apology in some programme notes a handful of people would have read so that makes it all OK.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
That was hilarious, ran on to get selfie with Chelsea player, had his phone knocked out of his hand so no selfie and then dragged off (without his phone!) with the East stand shouting winker, winker at him. Gutted mate!

The linesman picked up the phone and slippped it in his pocket.....I think it was Trossard who was next to the Lino and pointed out it was the invaders phone.

To be honest I couldn't jump over the hoarding onto the pitch anyway and wouldn't now as it's against the law. However, the lad celebrating with Webster was just a bit excited and momentum from people behind. Nothing like the 1s who deliberately jumped against palace to wind up opposing fans they, should and will be facing charges. Looking back to villa v man u just last weekend and villa goalkeeper jumped in and hugged fans when they equalised! Are players to be banned for years for doing that?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He could have had a bottle top

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I know - I saw it all with my own eyes from my seat in the front row of the WSU, north of the halfway line. I was well-placed to see it all unfold.

I saw him get one leg back over the boards and pretty much plead with the stewards to let him go back, It was evident that he knew he'd done wrong, immediately regretted it and wanted to atone for that. I personally felt gutted for him as I saw him led away, still making his apology.

I would both hope and expect the club to act with leniency based on that one incident, and I would gladly speak out should any long-term ban come from what I saw alone. Indeed, I made a case for him last night, directly to the club, as soon as I got home from the game.

However, as I have also said, what I didn't know last night was there may be a further incident which may mean that leniency is not shown. I don't know a great deal, so I won't say any more.

What I won't do though, is seek to lay the boot into the club about their statement today, having seen 8-10 fans at the Amex go where they shouldn't have gone over the last few days. The Premier League is screened to hundreds of millions of people around the world. Whether we like it or not, it's a massive business, and the club has to take it seriously when people are on the pitch wandering around the players. That's never going to be tolerated, and rightly so.
Good work Bozza making a case for the fella, the players are obviously reacting to the atmosphere, I don’t know about you I’ve left the Amex on the last two occasions thinking I’ve been to football match if that’s makes sense. The atmosphere at football is what makes football some will go overboard on occasion which is part of the territory if you want cracking home support.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good work Bozza making a case for the fella, the players are obviously reacting to the atmosphere, I don’t know about you I’ve left the Amex on the last two occasions thinking I’ve been to football match if that’s makes sense. The atmosphere at football is what makes football some will go overboard on occasion which is part of the territory if you want cracking home support.

Absolutely - two proper matches played out in front of big crowds with great atmospheres. It's what we go to football for.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
OH MY DAYS! I've just remembered that last night I was served a bottle of Sprite WITH THE TOP ON!!!

Scenes.
I've just remembered that I asked for 6 bottles of Sprite, but they picked 7 up instead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know - I saw it all with my own eyes from my seat in the front row of the WSU, north of the halfway line. I was well-placed to see it all unfold.

I saw him get one leg back over the boards and pretty much plead with the stewards to let him go back, It was evident that he knew he'd done wrong, immediately regretted it and wanted to atone for that. I personally felt gutted for him as I saw him led away, still making his apology.

I would both hope and expect the club to act with leniency based on that one incident, and I would gladly speak out should any long-term ban come from what I saw alone. Indeed, I made a case for him last night, directly to the club, as soon as I got home from the game.

However, as I have also said, what I didn't know last night was there may be a further incident which may mean that leniency is not shown. I don't know a great deal, so I won't say any more.

What I won't do though, is seek to lay the boot into the club about their statement today, having seen 8-10 fans at the Amex go where they shouldn't have gone over the last few days. The Premier League is screened to hundreds of millions of people around the world. Whether we like it or not, it's a massive business, and the club has to take it seriously when people are on the pitch wandering around the players. That's never going to be tolerated, and rightly so.

Thank you very much for posting that (and for what you did on the lad's behalf, notwithstanding the uncertainty). I am minded of other events over the last 20 years, of which I have no need to remind you, which eventually turned out for the individual for the best, with some bumps (ahem) in he road along the way :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be honest I couldn't jump over the hoarding onto the pitch anyway

Me

8M0w.gif

If I made it over.
Upon being summoned into Barber's lair.
I'd expect a well done and slice of cake.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Why Paul Barber? Why not the stadium manager? Or head of stewarding? Head of Operations?

Back at the Withdean we regularly had threads about the head steward who'd go round picking people out in the crowds and being bit of a trouble maker, no-one called out Dick Knight for it. Yet now we are here, everything is the CEOs fault. Very odd behaviour

I once got in a bit of trouble abroad with England and it was followed up - I was invited into a call with the England Fans travel club rep and the FAs head of security for a chat about it. I don't think for any second the FAs CEO was involved so can't really see why it would happen here?

People on here seem to think Paul Barber runs the ticketing, makes arrangements around stewarding + policing, single handedly runs it himself and is now involved with match day incidents and banning people. Believe it or not there are very capable people doing senior jobs at the Albion that do not rely on the CEO to help them with every task they do.

Great post it amazes me how few people understand this, the Albion is a huge operation but reading on here you would think it is just Paul Barber in a office on his own with a whiteboard where he captures his ideas and plans to upset fans on a daily basis

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great post it amazes me how few people understand this, the Albion is a huge operation but reading on here you would think it is just Paul Barber in a office on his own with a whiteboard where he captures his ideas and plans to upset fans on a daily basis

You have to admire the fact that no matter what has happened, something is..

.. ALWAYS PAUL BARBER'S FAULT.

It's a level of consistency rarely found these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here