Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The dusty and insidious Regency Society

The Regency Society are knifing each other in the back.

New row over Brighton Marina development From The Argus)

New row over Brighton Marina development
Thursday 28th January 2010

By Andy Chiles »

Two senior members of an influential conservation group face being thrown off its committee after publicly backing the Brighton Marina development.

Former Labour councillor Delia Forester and retired hotelier Audrey Simpson have been accused of undermining the Regency Society's opposition to proposals for 1,300 new homes in the marina by appearing at an inquiry into the plans last month.

The 370-strong society will now hold an extraordinary general meeting and secret vote on Friday, February 5, to decide whether to force the pair to step down.

The group is the most respected authority in the city on conservation issues and has often been a key voice on controversial plans since its formation in the 1940s. Brighton and Hove City Council's planning department regularly consults it on proposals.

In a notice circulated to all members, the Regency Society said Ms Forester and Mrs Simpson had undermined its position while giving evidence to the planning inspector who will decide whether to allow seven housing tower blocks, along with shops and offices, to be built at the current site of Asda at the marina.

Both spoke in favour of the plans, while saying they were from the society, despite the group itself being strongly opposed.

Yesterday the pair said they had done nothing wrong and would contest the vote.

The planning inspectorate is expected to make a recommendation to either permit or refuse the Brighton Marina plans to Communities Secretary John Denham by the end of March.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
The Brighton Society was founded after the construction of those buildings.

OK but what was the The Regency Society doing at the time?

Some real eyesores have been allowed to be built, and on the seafront too.

That hideous thing at the bottom of Bear Road is similar to the one near Preston Park, all galvanised bars and slatty wood.

Not sure where I stand on this. I like some new stuff if it's not built cheap and quickly as possible or with no soul, I like old if it's not been allowed to fall into disrepair.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This sort of post would be hilarious if it wasnt so dumb and dangerous!!

Brighton and Hove is a great place to live at the moment - busy, vibrant and full of life, however, if we keep cramming in 'developments' it very soon will become over-populated, over-congested and over-dirty!

With a few notable exceptions a lot of the architecture foisted on the city is a disgrace - just look at the New England Quarter or that hideous cheap and nasty block at the junction of Springfield and Preston Roads - if thats cutting edge I'm a f***ing Chinaman!

We are told several thousand homes need to be built in Brighton and Hove (and 600,000 across the south-east!!!) why FFS - for people already living here or for the London-by-the Sea second home brigade who are driving prices up and making it unaffordable for people born here?!
Well, QED. 'Over-populated', 'over-congested', 'over-dirty'. You've got no proof that any of that will happen, but just to be on the safe side let's turn those planning applications down eh? That's EXACTLY the type of attitude I (and the majority of others) are complaining about. You don't like the New England Quarter. Fine. I don't think it's particularly brilliant either - but it's better than the weed-filled wasteland that was there before. What would you have liked to have seen there? And whatever you say I bet it'll be either a) a total pipedream or b) will have as many objectors as NEQ had. And another forty years will pass. We can't sit around and wait for the 100% ideal 'landmark' or 'cutting edge' development to be proposed for every single site.

I know that politically you're a conservative and that you don't like change, but you are panicking a bit. No one's suggesting developments should be 'crammed in', and no one's saying that EVERY development should be approved, but if you want to keep this city a vibrant place as opposed to either a museum or a decaying slum you'll have to accept that not every new building is going to look like (or be around for as long as) the Royal Pavilion.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The Regency Society are knifing each other in the back.

New row over Brighton Marina development From The Argus)

New row over Brighton Marina development
Thursday 28th January 2010

By Andy Chiles »

Two senior members of an influential conservation group face being thrown off its committee after publicly backing the Brighton Marina development.

Former Labour councillor Delia Forester and retired hotelier Audrey Simpson have been accused of undermining the Regency Society's opposition to proposals for 1,300 new homes in the marina by appearing at an inquiry into the plans last month.

The 370-strong society will now hold an extraordinary general meeting and secret vote on Friday, February 5, to decide whether to force the pair to step down.

The group is the most respected authority in the city on conservation issues and has often been a key voice on controversial plans since its formation in the 1940s. Brighton and Hove City Council's planning department regularly consults it on proposals.

In a notice circulated to all members, the Regency Society said Ms Forester and Mrs Simpson had undermined its position while giving evidence to the planning inspector who will decide whether to allow seven housing tower blocks, along with shops and offices, to be built at the current site of Asda at the marina.

Both spoke in favour of the plans, while saying they were from the society, despite the group itself being strongly opposed.

Yesterday the pair said they had done nothing wrong and would contest the vote.

The planning inspectorate is expected to make a recommendation to either permit or refuse the Brighton Marina plans to Communities Secretary John Denham by the end of March.

Why do they even feel the need to get involved in a new development in the Marina anyway? I thought they were formed to help protect our heritage, but no listed buildings will be destroyed or modified as a result of this. Granted it will be visible from Lewes Crescent, but it's not exactly next door. It seems to me they now view themselves as having an extended remit as unofficial town planners and arbiters of taste.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well, QED. 'Over-populated', 'over-congested', 'over-dirty'. You've got no proof that any of that will happen, but just to be on the safe side let's turn those planning applications down eh? That's EXACTLY the type of attitude I (and the majority of others) are complaining about. You don't like the New England Quarter. Fine. I don't think it's particularly brilliant either - but it's better than the weed-filled wasteland that was there before. What would you have liked to have seen there? And whatever you say I bet it'll be either a) a total pipedream or b) will have as many objectors as NEQ had. And another forty years will pass. We can't sit around and wait for the 100% ideal 'landmark' or 'cutting edge' development to be proposed for every single site.

I know that politically you're a conservative and that you don't like change, but you are panicking a bit. No one's suggesting developments should be 'crammed in', and no one's saying that EVERY development should be approved, but if you want to keep this city a vibrant place as opposed to either a museum or a decaying slum you'll have to accept that not every new building is going to look like (or be around for as long as) the Royal Pavilion.

Spot on sir.

Unfortunately in this thread I am having to agree with people I would normally pick an argument with. Harumph.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton is Regency, if you want modern, f*** off to Milton Keynes.

It has Regency yes, see Edna's summary of our alleged Regency seafront.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton is Regency, if you want modern, f*** off to Milton Keynes.

..and if I wanted modern I wouldnt 'f*** off' to Milton Keynes, I'd go to any number of European or UK cities which have developed some wonderful architecture. There's plenty out there. Why, I could even go to that delighful little cafe in Littlehampton.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why didn't someone stand up to protect it ?

Oh.

No idea, I'm not writing about the past, I'm writing about now. To be honest I wish they had kept the previous buildings. I'm all for protecting our heritage. I'm not necessarily advocating we demolish existing buildings to build the modern stuff I'm rattling on about. Some stuff we should keep, some we should get rid of. The King Alfreds and the Centre are two which, in my opinion, do not need to be retained. I dont think there are many people who would fight to keep the KA or The Centre.

The Regency Society should stick to protecting Regency, not offering views and opinions on all new developments...which is what they are doing....and my main bug bear with them

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
WRONG.
It's largely Victorian.
If you want Regency, fck off to Bath.
:thumbsup:

You could even get a Brighton taxi to take you :lolol:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I fear where heading toward becoming Bexhill. When I'd rather be more like Liverpool with a good mix of old and new both bringing out the best in both.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fair enough. I have no idea why they would have specific views about the Marina.

Because they can.

There is, of course, no problem with anyone having an opinion on any given development proposal, but there appears to be 370 people quite happy to toe a party line on issues which ought to be outside their remit.

The reason they are so 'powerful' is that no-one seeks to challenge them. I am appalled that BHCC should consult with The Regency Society to such an extent. The Council has its own planning policies. So why does it need a bunch of self-serving Luddites to call the shots - especially when they have no mandate to speak on behalf of anyone other than themselves?

What do they think they are protecting Brighton from?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I suppose they would point to Grand Avenue.

I agree that developments should be tasteful and harmonious, and if possible complimentary to the existing environment, and that much 60s and 70s architecture is disgusting. I am also glad that someone can stand up for opposing those sorts of development proposals.

However, now they believe they've got the wind in their sails (and they do seem rather pleased with what they believe are their own achievements), they somehow appear to be the arbiters of taste and tradition. Who gave them the right to speak on so many people's behalf?

I'm not in favour of progress and modernity for its own sake, but The Regency Society, far from its original intention, can quite easily be considered a stultifying, reactionary force ultimately only serving those of that ilk.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe I do need to get involved with some campaign group. Generally speaking I do know what is best for Brighton. Whilst I am totally happy with the Falmer stadium I still think my proposal was better. I also once developed a solution to parking whilst I was in a floatation tank.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here