Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The dusty and insidious Regency Society

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and is still being built:facepalm:

Is it? What is the current timeline these days? It seems to have stalled a number of times. I have a fear it is going the same way as the West Pier.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a feeling that the planning permission has expired. Possibly wrong about that.

Dont know, be good if someone can inform us.

I know the wheel idea got thrown out. Shame, that area of the seafront could do with a bit of sprucing up; Preston Street is on it's last legs.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
These bodies play an important part in protecting places. Sure there is a balance to be made - but don't leave it to the developers.

Rottingdean Preservation do a great job in keeping that place the way it looks.

I like the look of the Sea-Front - apart from the obvious eye-sores. Shame they did not do more preserving down Grand Avenue.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Upvc windows are oil based and therefore made of a finite resource, any decent timber window will come from a sustainable source which has acted as a carbon sink throughout its growth. A double glazed timber window will have the same U values (thermal efficiency) as their upvc equivalent. Whilst needing painting every 10 years or so with maintenance the windows will last for over a century. Upvc windows have a life time of a couple of decades, further as they do not 'breathe' they can cause major condensation problems in old houses and cannot be recycled (whilst metal can).

Basically I would not put Upvc windows in any house, let alone a regency villa, although the upfront costs are higher for wood its a price worth paying in my view.

Very good points, and I agree to a point. I think the materials used to make uPVC are by-products of the oil industry, so would be produced regardless of whether used for making uPVC, but I stand to be corrected on that.

As for sustainable sources for timber, you think so? I would imagine it's preferable to use hardwood, one of the major environmental issues of using hardwood is the question of sustainability.

As for not using contemporary materials on Regency Buildings, that is a matter of opinion, I agree in general, but I am not agaisnt the use of modern materials produced to a standard and design that reflects the style. For example, I am sure it would be possible to design and extrude aluminium or PVC window frames, finished in the correct colour, that from 5 paces away you would not be able to tell the difference. The initial cost, the ongoing maintenance costs (don't forget H&S nowadays, need to get scaffolding up, close the road etc), the efficiency (no swelling, warping) would be tangible and prefarble to some.

uPVC can last much longer than 20 years, requires far less maintenace, does not require ongoing use of paint and associated products, and contrary to belief, there are recycling options for uPVC. Timber window frames will rot in the end, and will be disposed of, not recycled.

I am all for maintaining heritage, I just think that we are capable of adapting to use more modern materials and products, which are beneficial, not just on cost, but on environmental points too. Sometimes, people like the Regency Society are just so beligerant, they gets very little positive press, because they simply are living in the past, life is about compromises, but if those people got their way we'd be riding around in carraiges and sending our kids up chimneys to sweep them.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I like Embassy Court. There are many more buildings on the seafront that deserve flattening. The West Pier Hilton for a start.

True, however a massive art deco building has absolutly no place on a Regency seafront. It looks ridiculous.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You've got a point actually. In theory all I need is 371 people and I've got a route into the council and a say in the future of this city.

Maybe I could form a splinter group. The Real SaveHove?
It's funny you should say that because I've been semi-seriously toying with the idea of forming a group called BDS - the Brighton Development Society. Our basic brief would be to lobby the council and to counteract the knee-jerk opposition to every scheme that gets proposed. Also we'd combat the "we'd prefer to see Brighton a decaying slum, actually" mentality which seems all to prevalent.

I was inspired partly by the knee-jerk opposition to Falmer but also by the fact that places like the Brighton Station site and Jubilee Street were eyesores for DECADES whilst people argued the toss about various schemes. Even the current 'New England Quarter' development was opposed as it wasn't 100% perfect. (There was a supermarket with a car park!) Now there's arguments over the Marina, West Pier, King Alfred, the Brighton Centre and of course Black Rock is still empty. And weve not had a proper ice rink since 1967!

Because we'd (usually) side with the developer it would inevtiably mean that we'd occasionally back the wrong horse and end up supporting the 21st century equivalent of New England House, and also no doubt there would be the odd unfinished monstrosity - but if development were easier that wouldn't be a disaster as it would also be easier to knock down mistakes and re-develop the sites.

C'mon, let's do it. Brighton Development Society: "Acknowledging the Past, Planning for the Future."

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I think thats a great idea Brovion, much for the reasons I stated in my post above. Almost like a "Voice of Reason" to add balance to the knee-jerk bollocks that goes on everywhere these days, You could make it a nationwide group, working to apply common sense to planning considerations everywhere.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You really have got some front accusing me of being bitter and twisted, you're quite a nasty, vicious character when the veneer is stripped away aren't you , whats made you like this , do these people remind you of the parents you dont get on with or something ?

Flakiest thing about you is your morals!:p

Mmmmm. Got mixed feelings on this. I do support the Osborne Villas conservation order which, amongst many things, prevents anyone installing uPVC windows. And woe betide anyone who installs a satellite dish. Besides, they both lower the tone of the neighbourhood :) Keep the Regency Regency, but dont let this stop us moving forward with new developments.

as a former resident of said fine road i entirely agree.

pvc and plastic windows on regency houses look appalling!
Blimey ... as another former resident of Osborne Villas, can I join in?

We had CURTAINS to keep us warm. And we went down the pub instead of watching TV.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
what morals ?:lolol:

morel.jpg

???

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure that the development that has already taken place at the i360 means the planning permission is implemented and therefore cannot expire.

I don't believe the ferris wheel planning application has been thrown out either, as I understand it has been deferred for consideration at a later date so that the developers can provide extra details on the motor it will be using and therefore it's noise output. They also have to find a legal solution regarding providing safe access to the i360 site as the two sited infinge on eachother somewhat. Essentially the ferris wheel will need to be dismantled once the i360 developer is ready to complete their development. I dont think there are any heritage reasons stopping its development- read the Planning Officers report.

I think you're going a tad overboard regarding the Regency Society and its influence- many forward thinking proposals get approved in Brighton it's just the present economic circumstances that are a cause for delay. And we were going to have an ice rink at the Marina until the funder dropped out- my company lost substantial fees from that debacle but I understand a funder is still trying to be found although I highly doubt anoyone will be found the way things are as they are at the moment.

Last edited:

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I think these groups tended to be formed as a result of a reaction to the terrible planning mistakes of the past, in particular the 1960s where many historic buildings were destroyed.

The problem as I see it is that these groups have evolved to be made up of elderly inherently conservative (in the non-political sense) people who, rather than focusing only on protecting our heritage, have became voice groups who opposite any development regardless of the impact on sensitive areas simply because they don't like change and don't like modern buildings. They can pretty much always be relied upon to express a negative knee-jerk reactionary opinion on any new proposals.

These days I think there are adequate procedures and regulations in place to ensure that ensure developers don't have it all their own way and a balance between protection of our heritage and the need for development can be achieved.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
It's funny you should say that because I've been semi-seriously toying with the idea of forming a group called BDS - the Brighton Development Society. Our basic brief would be to lobby the council and to counteract the knee-jerk opposition to every scheme that gets proposed. Also we'd combat the "we'd prefer to see Brighton a decaying slum, actually" mentality which seems all to prevalent.

I was inspired partly by the knee-jerk opposition to Falmer but also by the fact that places like the Brighton Station site and Jubilee Street were eyesores for DECADES whilst people argued the toss about various schemes. Even the current 'New England Quarter' development was opposed as it wasn't 100% perfect. (There was a supermarket with a car park!) Now there's arguments over the Marina, West Pier, King Alfred, the Brighton Centre and of course Black Rock is still empty. And weve not had a proper ice rink since 1967!

Because we'd (usually) side with the developer it would inevtiably mean that we'd occasionally back the wrong horse and end up supporting the 21st century equivalent of New England House, and also no doubt there would be the odd unfinished monstrosity - but if development were easier that wouldn't be a disaster as it would also be easier to knock down mistakes and re-develop the sites.

C'mon, let's do it. Brighton Development Society: "Acknowledging the Past, Planning for the Future."

There was a group formed to support the King Alfred development. "Hove Up" I think, possibly run by the owner of the South African restaurant in Hove St.

Having said that I like your idea.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Embassy court needs to be flattened. That place is a monstrosity.

I really like embassy court.

The problem I have with organisations like the regency society is not that they are trying to protect our heritage, but that they are trying to preserve it in some imagined pastiche of the past. By all means prevent any more fine buildings from being pulled down but this doesn't have to mean a complete moritorium on any devlopment in a 10 mile radius.

patcham lad

Nov 27, 2009
it used to be called the palace pier. i fished there every sunday for years . what smart prick decided to change the name?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I really like embassy court.

The problem I have with organisations like the regency society is not that they are trying to protect our heritage, but that they are trying to preserve it in some imagined pastiche of the past. By all means prevent any more fine buildings from being pulled down but this doesn't have to mean a complete moritorium on any devlopment in a 10 mile radius.

I wonder how these people would have reacted in the early 19th century to proposals to build a massive house in a small fishing village in a style completely out of keeping with its surroundings. I suspect they would have been up in arms and would have been vehemently opposed to the Royal Pavilion being built. If people like this are allowed undue influence then few Royal Pavilions of the future will be built today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here