Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The dusty and insidious Regency Society

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I locked swords a few times on the Argus with Valerie Paynter (of SaveHove fame). She comes across as a self-important, unelected fruit loop. It seems SaveHove have a presence at every single public planning meeting. I wish they'd f*** off.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Only this week the 'Save Hove' group claimed that we should not be using uPVC windows as they are bad for the envoiroment, nothing to do with not being 'Regency' of course!

I'm not an expert, but don't uPVC windows carry sealed double glazed units which help to insulate a property, therefore reducing the level of heating required in a property, therefore reducing the use of gas/oil/electricity for heating? Which is surely environmentally sound

Wooden frames need wood, a dwindling resource, they need painting regularly, paint is not environmentally sound, and not all of them hold double glazed units. So surely they are no better, in fact possibly even worse for the environment. Aluminium frames must use even more resources or a larger carbon footprint for production than uPVC.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I locked swords a few times on the Argus with Valerie Paynter (of SaveHove fame). She comes across as a self-important, unelected fruit loop. It seems SaveHove have a presence at every single public planning meeting. I wish they'd f*** off.

I had a similar experience with some doddery old SaveHove fool who had an anti-Gehry stall at the end of George St a few years back.

He explained to me that no analysis of wind patterns around the proposed buildings had taken place. He then went on to say that due to the twisted design of the building it could create a vortex which could bring the towers down. I asked where he got this information from as by his own admission no analysis had taken place. He then showed me a picture of the buildings and said "but you can see by the twisted design of the building it will cause wind to spiral round it".

Crank. As an aside, he also had a tremor and yellow flaky skin.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not an expert, but don't uPVC windows carry sealed double glazed units which help to insulate a property, therefore reducing the level of heating required in a property, therefore reducing the use of gas/oil/electricity for heating? Which is surely environmentally sound

Wooden frames need wood, a dwindling resource, they need painting regularly, paint is not environmentally sound, and not all of them hold double glazed units. So surely they are no better, in fact possibly even worse for the environment. Aluminium frames must use even more resources or a larger carbon footprint for production than uPVC.

Mmmmm. Got mixed feelings on this. I do support the Osborne Villas conservation order which, amongst many things, prevents anyone installing uPVC windows. And woe betide anyone who installs a satellite dish. Besides, they both lower the tone of the neighbourhood :) Keep the Regency Regency, but dont let this stop us moving forward with new developments.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Mmmmm. Got mixed feelings on this. I do support the Osborne Villas conservation order which, amongst many things, prevents anyone installing uPVC windows. Besides, they lower the tone of the neighbourhood. Keep the Regency Regency, but dont let this stop us moving forward with new developments.

as a former resident of said fine road i entirely agree.

pvc and plastic windows on regency houses look appalling!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I had a similar experience with some doddery old SaveHove fool who had an anti-Gehry stall at the end of George St a few years back.

He explained to me that no analysis of wind patterns around the proposed buildings had taken place. He then went on to say that due to the twisted design of the building it could create a vortex which could bring the towers down. I asked where he got this information from as by his own admission no analysis had taken place. He then showed me a picture of the buildings and said "but you can see by the twisted design of the building it will cause wind to spiral round it".

Crank. He also had a tremor and yellow flaky skin.
You really have got some front accusing me of being bitter and twisted, you're quite a nasty, vicious character when the veneer is stripped away aren't you , whats made you like this , do these people remind you of the parents you dont get on with or something ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You really have got some front accusing me of being bitter and twisted, you're quite a nasty, vicious character when the veneer is stripped away aren't you , whats made you like this , do these people remind you of the parents you dont get on with or something ?

Errrrm, I'm scratching my head a bit here, not to mention rolling my eyes.

And here you are again with your wild and bizarre conjecture. This time about my parents.

Stop picking fights, you're becoming a very boring person.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
HT - have you considered joining the Regency Society? It costs £15 and gives you the ability to start the change you want to see.

If they are a bunch of old farts then it is - as you say - time for change. Step up young fella.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Errrrm, I'm scratching my head a bit here, not to mention rolling my eyes.

And here you are again with your wild and bizarre conjecture. This time about my parents.

Stop picking fights, you're becoming a very boring person.
ok, forget the bit about your parents, why so nasty and personal about the savehove person from george st ? it appears to me that you can dish it out but not take it , you certanly seem to have an agenda with any person of a certain age who doesnt meet with your approval.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone

Upvc windows are oil based and therefore made of a finite resource, any decent timber window will come from a sustainable source which has acted as a carbon sink throughout its growth. A double glazed timber window will have the same U values (thermal efficiency) as their upvc equivalent. Whilst needing painting every 10 years or so with maintenance the windows will last for over a century. Upvc windows have a life time of a couple of decades, further as they do not 'breathe' they can cause major condensation problems in old houses and cannot be recycled (whilst metal can).

Basically I would not put Upvc windows in any house, let alone a regency villa, although the upfront costs are higher for wood its a price worth paying in my view.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
HT - have you considered joining the Regency Society? It costs £15 and gives you the ability to start the change you want to see.

If they are a bunch of old farts then it is - as you say - time for change. Step up young fella.

You've got a point actually. In theory all I need is 371 people and I've got a route into the council and a say in the future of this city.

Maybe I could form a splinter group. The Real SaveHove?

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
not a huge amount of weight is given to comments from these societies anyway - Comments from English Heritage and the Councils Conservation officer are far more important.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ok, forget the bit about your parents, why so nasty and personal about the savehove person from george st ? it appears to me that you can dish it out but not take it , you certanly seem to have an agenda with any person of a certain age who doesnt meet with your approval.

upon reflection I take back what I said about his skin colour and tremor. But, the rest still holds.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes,only 15 quid to join for a year.Bit more than white membership,and no chance of an away ticket(well,okay,if we have to go to Cheltenham any time soon),but get four hundred fellow travellers and the Regency Society could back pvc windows,multi coloured paint jobs on the Regency Buildings,the extension of Falmer with a mock Regency Hotel.For a six grand outlay that could be some return.Oh,and no need to demolish the Pav.Just gut it and bring back the Brighton Tigers to a Regency ice stadium in the shell.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How does that work? We have only mentioned Save Hove a couple of times and we are in the top 6 hits! :lolol:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 136

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Although the Gehry towers were not appropriate. Rather than cramming loads of housing on the site they should just build a state of the art sports centre. It didn't help that it was forced through by councillors on a nod and a wink.

Again, I had mixed feelings but my overall one is that it should have been built. Ideally a stand-alone classy modern sports centre would have done. But, it would cost us millions and we, the city, simply dont have that money. The deal to give the land over to development in return for a state of the art sports centre at no cost to the tax payer was a good one and far out weighed the negative elements (mainly the need to build residential property to fund it).

As another aside (no ailments this time) I did find it funny when the council announced they wanted a 'landmark' development to replace the King Alfred. And one of Regency or SaveHove bods piped up and said the proposal didnt fit in with the surroundings. Isnt that part of the idea of a landmark development?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here