Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The dusty and insidious Regency Society

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
It's funny you should say that because I've been semi-seriously toying with the idea of forming a group called BDS - the Brighton Development Society. Our basic brief would be to lobby the council and to counteract the knee-jerk opposition to every scheme that gets proposed. Also we'd combat the "we'd prefer to see Brighton a decaying slum, actually" mentality which seems all to prevalent.

I was inspired partly by the knee-jerk opposition to Falmer but also by the fact that places like the Brighton Station site and Jubilee Street were eyesores for DECADES whilst people argued the toss about various schemes. Even the current 'New England Quarter' development was opposed as it wasn't 100% perfect. (There was a supermarket with a car park!) Now there's arguments over the Marina, West Pier, King Alfred, the Brighton Centre and of course Black Rock is still empty. And weve not had a proper ice rink since 1967!

Because we'd (usually) side with the developer it would inevtiably mean that we'd occasionally back the wrong horse and end up supporting the 21st century equivalent of New England House, and also no doubt there would be the odd unfinished monstrosity - but if development were easier that wouldn't be a disaster as it would also be easier to knock down mistakes and re-develop the sites.

C'mon, let's do it. Brighton Development Society: "Acknowledging the Past, Planning for the Future."

I'm in. One note of caution though. If you want an entrenpreunaral (sp) economy you need some buildings that are crap with low rents to allow businesses to start up and have modest expansion without having to pay sky high fees. In that respect New England house is a good thing for Brighton.

In general though, I agree with all your points.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
it used to be called the palace pier. i fished there every sunday for years . what smart prick decided to change the name?

Noble who own the pier and did so attempting to foist their tatty little structure ahead of the West Pier. I still prefer the West Pier to that grotty hole.

They of course had nothing to do with the major fire that destroyed any hope of saving the West Pier...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barrel Of Fun, is of course correct in his assertion that the NOBLE GROUP, had NOTHIING at all to do with the unfortunatel West Pier Fire.

Nothing.

Not anything. At all.

Nope.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Couldn't agree more. The thing is no development proposal is going to be 100% perfect and will get 100% agreement - and even among Brighton fans we acknowledge that Falmer isn't 100% ideal. There has to be an acknowledgment that there will be winners and losers and there is such a concept as 'the greater good'.

As far as development is concerned you can also add the Greens to that list who in Brighton are a sad bunch of reactionary NOTEs and BANANAs

This sort of post would be hilarious if it wasnt so dumb and dangerous!!

Brighton and Hove is a great place to live at the moment - busy, vibrant and full of life, however, if we keep cramming in 'developments' it very soon will become over-populated, over-congested and over-dirty!

With a few notable exceptions a lot of the architecture foisted on the city is a disgrace - just look at the New England Quarter or that hideous cheap and nasty block at the junction of Springfield and Preston Roads - if thats cutting edge I'm a f***ing Chinaman!

We are told several thousand homes need to be built in Brighton and Hove (and 600,000 across the south-east!!!) why FFS - for people already living here or for the London-by-the Sea second home brigade who are driving prices up and making it unaffordable for people born here?!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Interesting thread this and I agree with Herr T and Brovion. Surprised that nobody has mentioned the Brighton Society led by the monstrous Selma Montford, another incomer who has her own very definite views of what Brighton should look like.

The sad fact is that very little of interest has been built in the last 40 years and these groups are a key reason. The planning disasters of the 60s have been followed by a half century of boring, bland architecture - and this in a place that likes to see itself as innovative. And sure as hell the so-called Green Party won't improve things.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting thread this and I agree with Herr T and Brovion. Surprised that nobody has mentioned the Brighton Society led by the monstrous Selma Montford, another incomer who has her own very definite views of what Brighton should look like.

The sad fact is that very little of interest has been built in the last 40 years and these groups are a key reason. The planning disasters of the 60s have been followed by a half century of boring, bland architecture - and this in a place that likes to see itself as innovative. And sure as hell the so-called Green Party won't improve things.

Selma Montford is just a wizened old windbag who sits at home all day scanning the Argus for planning applications purely so her Brighton Society cronies can raise objections. It's people like that who have ensured that Brighton & Hove, while undoubtedly still a popular destination, has been allowed to fester and stagnate, with very little notable new development. Other cities of similar size have vastly superior public facilities, for example: swimming pools, leisure complexes, indoor ski slopes and so on. Yet every time someone proposes the construction of a new wendy house in this city, there's someone in the background banging on about the impact on the Regency skyline(c).

The same Regency skyline featuring, among other notable horrors, the King Alfred, the drag leading to Shoreham harbour, the Brighton Centre, the Kingswest, Embassy Court, the Hilton West Pier, and also overshadowed further back by those well knowns Regency tower blocks Sussex Heights, St James's House etc and the RSCH. WELL worth preserving, Selma.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Selma Montford is just a wizened old windbag who sits at home all day scanning the Argus for planning applications purely so her Brighton Society cronies can raise objections. It's people like that who have ensured that Brighton & Hove, while undoubtedly still a popular destination, has been allowed to fester and stagnate, with very little notable new development. Other cities of similar size have vastly superior public facilities, for example: swimming pools, leisure complexes, indoor ski slopes and so on. Yet every time someone proposes the construction of a new wendy house in this city, there's someone in the background banging on about the impact on the Regency skyline(c).

The same Regency skyline featuring, among other notable horrors, the King Alfred, the drag leading to Shoreham harbour, the Brighton Centre, the Kingswest, Embassy Court, the Hilton West Pier, and also overshadowed further back by those well knowns Regency tower blocks Sussex Heights, St James's House etc and the RSCH. WELL worth preserving, Selma.

The Brighton Society was founded after the construction of those buildings.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Brighton Society was founded after the construction of those buildings.

I would guess that, I'm just querying that this magnificent skyline they so frequently bang on about preserving has long since disappeared. I'm not suggesting that everything should be allowed, but that a lot of the objections appear to be merely for the sake of it.

And it irritates me that they just seem to object to any new development, merely on the basis that it's new or unfamiliar, with no regard to any architectural merit. New= monstrosity to them, it seems to me that if it's in any way innovative, it is instantly branded ugly. Which is not always fair.

I'm willing to bet that plenty of the world's most famous buildings had their detractors prior to being built. Sydney Opera House was slated prior to being built, was it not, because of the design and cost?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just been round the Regency and Brighton Society websites, and they puff themselves up to how wonderful they are at preserving Brighton's heritage. As if they were people of any importance. No mention, however, of their embarrassing and inept performance at the Falmer Public Inquiries though. Funny that.

I notice they're tied in with the North Laine Community Association. Now there is a closed shop of nutters. I could go into their behaviour, but it would take TOOOO long, so I'll satisfy myself with a :facepalm:

The sad fact is that very little of interest has been built in the last 40 years .

Always an exception to every rule tho:clap2::clap2:

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I quite like the Brighton Library - shame the content is pretty poor.

What is the name of the tall building behind Brighton station. The one with the car park underneath? Blackman St/Trafalger St - I am having a brain fade. It would be nice to have that redeveloped. I am sure that the block could be lowered and widened without losing any precious parking spaces. (Obviously cost would be a factor!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
True, however a massive art deco building has absolutly no place on a Regency seafront. It looks ridiculous.

Be thankful it is not art deco then (it's modernist).

Last edited:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I quite like the Brighton Library - shame the content is pretty poor.

What is the name of the tall building behind Brighton station. The one with the car park underneath? Blackman St/Trafalger St - I am having a brain fade. It would be nice to have that redeveloped. I am sure that the block could be lowered and widened without losing any precious parking spaces. (Obviously cost would be a factor!)

Theobold House?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

and dont forget the beautiful Regency that flanks either side of Grand Avenue. Grand indeed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With a few notable exceptions a lot of the architecture foisted on the city is a disgrace - just look at the New England Quarter or that hideous cheap and nasty block at the junction of Springfield and Preston Roads - if thats cutting edge I'm a f***ing Chinaman!

I dont think anyone is suggesting it is cutting edge, in my opinion it the opposite, i.e. not having the bottle to do something cutting edge. Something which is inoffensive but ultimately bland.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Surprised that nobody has mentioned the Brighton Society led by the monstrous Selma Montford, another incomer who has her own very definite views of what Brighton should look like.

First let me state I'm NOT defending her but not sure what makes you think she's an incomer ? I went to school with her son - the whole family are .... er ..... excentric !

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I dont think anyone is suggesting it is cutting edge, in my opinion it the opposite, i.e. not having the bottle to do something cutting edge. Something which is inoffensive but ultimately bland.

The point is that this council, and more importantly, the previous administration, promised a lot but really delivered shite architecture.

A classic example is Gehrys abomination at the King Alfred which, despite the Tin-Can hype, would have been surrounded by TEN blocks of unadulterated shite for the poor people to allow the project to go ahead!!

When will we learn DEVELOPERS DONT GIVE A FLYING f*** ABOUT OUR CITY - THEY WANT PROFIT!!!

it really is that simple!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here