Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Demise of Uncle Sams

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The little uncle sams in Montpelier road was the first one.

I used to run the one in burgess hill :)

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Can't beat a blue cheese burger, remember it used to cost me 98p in the old days from the old st peters branch.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I was always far more a Grubbs than Uncle Sams fan, Both inifinitely better than the usual suspects but for me Grubbs edged it. Haven't been for absolutely years but their thousand island burger used to be awesome.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Has anyone tried Burger Off in Hove? Best burgers in town, and they also do a over 18 Hot Chilli Burger.

Got 4 bites into the XXX chilli burger before getting hiccups and having to have a drink. Couldn't get started again after that. Dismal attempt :down:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
As a Shoreham lad, I have been going to get the best burger going for over 20 years from their outlet opposite Southlands, but my visits are just not the same anymore.

Yes, their burgers are still far better than Maccy D's, BK, Amex of even burger van at the station, but:-

Very Nearly £7 for a biggest burger meal
50p to pay by card
Extra money for ketchup or Mayonnaise dips
No WiFi
No Newspapers
No Sofa's or comfy chairs.

I can now buy a 2 course meal for 2 in a pub for less.

And to top it off, the lad serving there now looks, acts and talks just like Mr Wimpy!

Don't forget the really cheap crap Coke that they now do. Always a thick shake with my bacon/cheese burger now.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Anyone remember Samson's in Kemp Town? The takeaway in the basement had the best burgers in Brighton at the time. Sometimes cooked by the bass player in that rockabilly band whose name escapes me. That said, the branch of the original Tucker Burgers in Waterloo Street did a cheeseburger with chili that has seldom been bettered this side of the Atlantic.

Oct 25, 2003
burger off and grubbs are both superb.........never been massively into uncle sams but the montpelier road one is pretty good

double malaysian from grubbs makes my life worth living....i've just started a relationship with a 8/10 swedish girl who is unfortunately vegetarian, so it looks like i'm going to have to cut back on my meat intake....what are their vegetarian burgers like?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Anyone remember Samson's in Kemp Town? The takeaway in the basement had the best burgers in Brighton at the time. Sometimes cooked by the bass player in that rockabilly band whose name escapes me. That said, the branch of the original Tucker Burgers in Waterloo Street did a cheeseburger with chili that has seldom been bettered this side of the Atlantic.

I do! We used to live down the road from it and now those burgers from Samson's were pretty incredible! Was it not a restaurant as well? I recall eating in there a few times when I was younger

Also there is still a remaining Tuckers in Kemp town but standards have really dropped to an all time low there

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
How are Uncle Sam's so different from shop to shop.

I understand that those that work in them will always make the overall experience different.

But dont they source their food from the same place, cook them on the same appliances and add the same sauces.

Isn't that what franchising is all about.

Having said that never liked the chips from Woodingdean.

D

Deleted member 18477

uncle sams is incredible!

however i'm the same, my visits have got fewer and fewer in the last 5 years. i'm gutted if im honest but mcdonalds is just better value for money. i personally like the taste of mcdonalds so uncle sams has become more of a treat.

domino's when its buy one get one free isnt a bad deal these days. they taste f-ing amazing, they've improved their toppings in recent months as well. they just taste nicer. i paid £12 for 2 medium chicken and ham pizzas the other day. per pizza thats cheaper than uncle sams and also on par with a BK meal.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Living in Kemp Town I've always been a Grubbs boy however I don't think their burgers are as good as once they were. But I'll tell you where you can fight a mighty tasty burger at a reasonable price in town and that's at the Burger Bar in the Lanes, round the back of the Sussex. At the moment it's run by the same folk who own the House restaurant but I understand the guy they have running the place is about to go it alone.

Freshly made up by hand every day these are BIG, BEEFY BADBOYS of meat and there's a great range of all your favourite varieties (bacon and cheese, chilli, Malaysian, the works etc.)

Best burgers I've had in town by a country mile, and they only cost between £2.80 and £3.25. If you're in town and have a craving for burger, it's the best place to go without question.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I do! We used to live down the road from it and now those burgers from Samson's were pretty incredible! Was it not a restaurant as well? I recall eating in there a few times when I was younger

Also there is still a remaining Tuckers in Kemp town but standards have really dropped to an all time low there

samsons got shut down for hygiene issues didnt it.

big mouths in peacehaven is good.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

There was a restaurant on the ground floor and the takeaway was in the basement. I think they were an offshoot of the original Montpelier Uncle Sam's (hence the name) but far better. Sadly they closed the takeaway, and the sit-down place disappeared a few years later.

While at the Super Bowl this year I went to Bub's Burgers and Ice Cream in Carmel, Indiana, home of The Big Ugly - a 22oz burger as featured on Man vs Food. It was okay, but not as good as an original Tucker Burger or Samson's ...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Burgess Hill Uncle Sams is still spot on, can never decide between a chilli burger or a blue cheese one though.

Double up! best of both worlds.

Was the first Uncle Sams just around the corner from Brighton Centre some time in the late 70's to early 80's? Anyway the one I used to frequent was the Rustington branch although my last one was in Shoreham before Christmas.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
samsons got shut down for hygiene issues didnt it.

big mouths in peacehaven is good.

Any burger joint can have the occasional hygiene issue - I know someone who worked at the Grubbs near St Peter's Church, and he told me ... well, let's not risk legal action, and it was just the once. Do Grubbs still do the fudge brownies? They used to be phenomenal.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
While at the Super Bowl this year I went to Bub's Burgers and Ice Cream in Carmel, Indiana, home of The Big Ugly - a 22oz burger as featured on Man vs Food. It was okay, but not as good as an original Tucker Burger or Samson's ...

Hardys, burger chain in the southern States of the US used to do a $6 burger, as they called it, for $3.99 and it was seriously mahoosive! That was a decade ago, wonder if it still tops their menu.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here