Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Demise of Uncle Sams

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Burgess Hill Uncle Sams is still spot on, can never decide between a chilli burger or a blue cheese one though.
We all seem in agreement, Uncle Sams rocked, yet it's in decline. Blue cheese for me. Chilli's probably good, but I go so rarely that I daren't have anything but blue cheese.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Uncle Sams is brilliant but does suffer from franchising make it a bit hit and miss

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Both uncle same and grubbs indeed serve a tasty burger as does big mouth's in peacehaven,my personal favourite is the malaysian(peanut butter and chilli),however i found a place in amsterdam called the burger bar which serve's kobi beef burgers only 10euro's a pop.I swear,i dare anybody to try one and not explode with excitement,seriously worth a trip there just to try them!!!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Has anyone ever tried Schwartz Bros in Bath? Worth travelling halfway across the country for.

Yes I have, and it's not a patch on grubbs. Everyone I worked with raved about it so I had one before watching Barf/Gloucester a few years ago. It was ok - better than McD's or BK, but for me, Uncle Jims in Worthing is where I get my "proper" burger fix.

Growing up in Tunbridge Wells, there used to be a church up the road from the local "nightclub" (I use the term loosely), and they used to do the most amazing burgers and hot dogs for about £2 a pop. Used to get volunteers to staff it and they were always incredibly friendly (even after some serious ale consumption on my part, they were always nice to us!!). Anyone who lives up that way know if they still do it??

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
When this subject came up a few months ago, the Real Burger Kitchen in South Street , Chichester was recomended. A recent trip to Chichester found me walking up and down the street looking for it, having not realised it was up a steep flight of stairs located between two shops. The walk and climb was very worthwhile and as a bonus it had a drinks licence.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Yes I have, and it's not a patch on grubbs. Everyone I worked with raved about it so I had one before watching Barf/Gloucester a few years ago. It was ok - better than McD's or BK, but for me, Uncle Jims in Worthing is where I get my "proper" burger fix.

Growing up in Tunbridge Wells, there used to be a church up the road from the local "nightclub" (I use the term loosely), and they used to do the most amazing burgers and hot dogs for about £2 a pop. Used to get volunteers to staff it and they were always incredibly friendly (even after some serious ale consumption on my part, they were always nice to us!!). Anyone who lives up that way know if they still do it??

Funnily enough I live round the corner from Uncle Jim's but haven't been in there for years because the smell of kebabs always made me want to throw up! Maybe I'll give it a try again.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
The one at the Strand in Worthing is horrible. Never had a "real" uncle sams, but no way can they taste that bad. They are tasteless, SOGGY and far too overpriced for the small portions that you get. Their cheesey chips are decent though, even if they are a bit on the expensive side. I presume it is a franchise?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The one in Lancing has seemed decent enough in the past, haven't been there for years though! This thread has made me really, really want one.
By the sounds of it I need to try the blue cheese and/or the double chilli.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The best burger I have ever had was in Los Angeles cant remember the name of the place but it is a burger van that apparently hasn't closed since World War II I am sure somebody will know its name. Havent had many in Brighton and none that I would say I remember as being extra special not even Uncle Sams.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Wish I'd caught up on this thread before I started drinking this evening, REALLY fancy one now:angry:

Hailsham seagull, would I know you from the downs? It's been my local and regular pub for the best part of 15 years!

I am going to have to try the burger bar behind the Sussex, did it used to be the busy bee cafe????????

The chip shop in woodingdean does a blinding 1/2lb double cheese burger. It's well worth a visit.

The woodingdean sams chips have got a lot better the last few months, last one I had was Saturday before Ipswich just before a pie at the ground:rolleyes:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Funnily enough I live round the corner from Uncle Jim's but haven't been in there for years because the smell of kebabs always made me want to throw up! Maybe I'll give it a try again.

Funnily enough, the smell is more than likely Star Kebabs or Worthing Kebab Centre, both revolting.

Uncle Jims is nicer than most places for food, and they were very kind to me when I had an epileptic fit in there one night after work. Never really been anywhere else since.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Doubt it spongy, probably before you were a twinkle, this was back in 1978/79:)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The little uncle sams in Montpelier road was the first one.

I used to run the one in burgess hill :)

I remember their burgers. Best ever. Outstanding relish.

I have stopped going to Uncle Sams in Shoreham as the standard of the burger went down below an acceptable standard last year. Now I make them at home using the chilliburgers from the butchers in Southwick Square.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This thread title implies Uncle Sams has gone out of business. Dictionary definition of demise:termination of existence or operation. Think a word from the mods required and a change of thread title. Besides, their Original is still the best in town.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Doubt it spongy, probably before you were a twinkle, this was back in 1978/79:)

You're right I wasn't born til Oct 78!!!!!!!!

My mate ran the woodingdean for a few years not so long ago, a lovely flat above the shop included as part of the job, remember he used to bring us unsold apple pies to us up The Downs when he finished, and they were still nuclear hot when we ate them.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Uncle Jims is nicer than most places for food, and they were very kind to me when I had an epileptic fit in there one night after work. Never really been anywhere else since.

I've known Kenny who now runs Uncle Jims for years (always keeps an eye on the Albion scores and has been to the Amex this season). Although most people only use kebab shops when drunk, Kenny prides himself on the quality of the meat he uses for his shish and koftas and also doesn't buy the really cheap doner meat that many places use (we've all had a doner with bits of bone in the meat somewhere).

The one at the Strand in Worthing is horrible. Never had a "real" uncle sams, but no way can they taste that bad. They are tasteless, SOGGY and far too overpriced for the small portions that you get. Their cheesey chips are decent though, even if they are a bit on the expensive side. I presume it is a franchise?

The Strand franchise is dreadful - went there once, food was appalling, staff cocked up the order and were too busy larking about to worry about serving customers or getting things right. The food from the one on Broadwater Road isn't that much better - I've always found the burgers very greasy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This thread title implies Uncle Sams has gone out of business. Dictionary definition of demise:termination of existence or operation. Think a word from the mods required and a change of thread title. Besides, their Original is still the best in town.

Shame Uncle Sams stopped expanding though, and closed down their central Brighton and many other outlets (Clock Tower, London Road, Chichester by the station) because they could have ruled the world :bowdown:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here