Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Demise of Uncle Sams

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I used to pick up an Uncle Sams on my way home from The Abinger in the late 70s and invariably chunder it up somewhere on the walk home. Happy days indeed.

I also used to eat them and keep them down when I was more sober. They were the best burgers in town. MackyDees and co remian a pale imitation.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
As a Shoreham lad, I have been going to get the best burger going for over 20 years from their outlet opposite Southlands, but my visits are just not the same anymore.

Yes, their burgers are still far better than Maccy D's, BK, Amex of even burger van at the station, but:-

Very Nearly £7 for a biggest burger meal
50p to pay by card
Extra money for ketchup or Mayonnaise dips
No WiFi
No Newspapers
No Sofa's or comfy chairs.

I can now buy a 2 course meal for 2 in a pub for less.

And to top it off, the lad serving there now looks, acts and talks just like Mr Wimpy!

Pathetic post, you're clearly simply a cheapskate. The burgers are fantastic, the double chiili with extra cheese is the best burger in the World & they have held the Guinness Book of Records World Record for the number of fries in a portion
The only issue is with you, worrying about the cost of Mayo, having to use a card for the paltry sum a burger comes to and sad comments about papers & wifi which are not reqd for a takeaway & shows you can't afford a decent phone that can pick data up.
Uncle Sams is a wonderful longstanding institution and you should be ashamed of yourself

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
London Road was our main one, we wernt allowed a darts team at the Downs Hotel, so we all played for the Kensington, walked the league as well.
After every game we caught the last 45 from St Peters Church, usually with at least one Uncle Sams, two sometimes, delicious memories.

The other end of the scale was O'Hagens hot dog and burger shop at the bottom of Ship Street was it, real basic but great burgers cooked how they used to be.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
burger off and grubbs are both superb.........never been massively into uncle sams but the montpelier road one is pretty good

double malaysian from grubbs makes my life worth living....i've just started a relationship with a 8/10 swedish girl who is unfortunately vegetarian, so it looks like i'm going to have to cut back on my meat intake....what are their vegetarian burgers like?

Does she know you only rate her 8 out of 10? Or is that her age and/or size?:)

If there is a better burger than Uncle Sams or Grubbs, then I haven't found it. I think I will try that one out behind The Sussex though.:thumbsup:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Pathetic post, you're clearly simply a cheapskate. The burgers are fantastic, the double chiili with extra cheese is the best burger in the World & they have held the Guinness Book of Records World Record for the number of fries in a portion
The only issue is with you, worrying about the cost of Mayo, having to use a card for the paltry sum a burger comes to and sad comments about papers & wifi which are not reqd for a takeaway & shows you can't afford a decent phone that can pick data up.
Uncle Sams is a wonderful longstanding institution and you should be ashamed of yourself

f***, try the chips at the hangleton outfit, mccains home fries, shit. absolute shit. you get about 5 as well and they charge too much for it, there is a chippy over the road for god sake what is wrong with them.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Last Uncle Sams I had and will ever have was from the one in Carden Avenue. Utter rank.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Has anyone ever tried Schwartz Bros in Bath? Worth travelling halfway across the country for.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Has anyone ever tried Schwartz Bros in Bath? Worth travelling halfway across the country for.

This thread is making me hungry. I used to like the burgers at Ed's Diner with a side order of cheesy chips and a cold beer but they are not quite so good of late. Have enjoyed some excellent burgers in the US but if we are allowed to nominate burgers beyond Sussex then I can recommend Ferg Burger in Queenstown, NZ if you are ever passing. Think 'Uncle Sams' but with Kiwi accents. Their 'Big Al' burger is a 1/2 pounder with everything including a couple of eggs (a challenge not to get yolk running down your arms). Not sure about the beetroot though! Very civilised to sit at the counter and down a couple of cold Speights Dark Ales while your burger is cooked. Best avoided before a bungee jump though.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I always thought the London Road one was the first, I guess my first Uncle Sams was 1978'sh, does the Montpelier Road one pre date that ?

Nothing to do with being cheap, more about convenience. I'm an eat in guy, and the effort Maccy D's have gone to with Papers, Wifi, Music, comfy chairs and a dam good price have not gone un-noticed.

15 years ago, the dine in experience would have been similar, so US would have won every time due to superior burgers. Now they don't!

You have an argument that we don't need papers - you even accuse my Iphone 4s of being a 'not decent phone'. I'm afraid you're wrong. If you was right, there would still be queue's of punters out the door at US and Maccy D's would not have invested a fortune in upgrading their restaurants.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
I moved away from brighton about 26 years ago but still remember uncle sams. Is Montpellier near Western Road as I'm sure that's where we used to go after a night out, superb burgers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here