Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Dammed United.Tonight at 9.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
"Bollocks to bloody Brighton" :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Best line in a film ever.

That line cracked me up in the cinema. :lolol:

Superb film, without doubt one of my top 5 favourite films. No hype, no fanfare, just a well made film with some decent acting and a genuine story to it.

Michael Sheen. :bowdown: The only man who could go from being Prime Minister, to Brian Clough and then to a Vampiric Lord!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Had Peter Taylor stayed at Brighton and not gone back to join Cloughie, we might never have had the level of rivalry between our clubs that we enjoy, since we all know who took over from him... :moo:

Mullery got us out of Division Three with the nucleus of Taylor's team and given the budget he had in League Two he didn't have that much of a job to do to get us into Division One. Frankly he was rather overrated given the benefit of hindsight and his second spell when he has no cash to splash showed that very clearly.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Also being shown on BBCHD. You wont recognise the Brighton seafront scenes as they needed somewhere that still looked like it was the 70's , so these were shot in Scarborough.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Book was readable, film was average. I watched it on a flight so the swearing was dubbed over which was probably the funniest part of the film.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Cracking film, and a VERY absorbing book.

A deleted scene from the film at half time, when Derby are 0-1 down at home to Leeds (and Clough is Derby manager) has him coming into the dressing room ranting and raving about them playing so SHIT they clearly want him sacked. So he pours them all a brandy to toast him for his "final game", and he plonks the bottle down in the middle of the dressing room and tells Taylor that NO-ONE leaves the dressing room for the 2nd half until the rest of the bottle has been drunk. Cue some queesy looking Derby players going out for the 2nd half.

What you see in the film is Clough pacing around in the boardroom not watching the game, just listening to the oohs and ahhs of the crowd, before the final whistle goes and Peter tells him the score...

Cracking deleted scene. Dunno why they left it out.

I watched all of the deleted scenes and felt they actually added to the film, helping to give more detail to the events.

Still a good film but perhaps the directors cut would be even better.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Lets just remember,two European cup wins back to back something that has yet to be repeated by an English side. Look at the money in the English game now as to then that sorts your managers and players out. Lampard £130,000 a week but has he won (apart from the league in which only 2/3 sides can now ever win) ? Larry Lloyd,John McGovern and the list goes on,sure they were not great players BUT THEY PLAYED IN A GREAT SIDE. :drink:

I didn;t mean our fans I meant other fans. The fact that Peter Taylor came with him was more by accident than design.

Sorry, I misread your post - I thought you meant our fans!

But I don't agree Peter Taylor came with him more by accident than design. They were pretty much joined at the hip at that time, only separated when Clough was at Leeds on his own and when Taylor was at the Albion. They always worked better as a team, like Mercer and Allison, Booker and White, etc.

I didn;t mean our fans I meant other fans. The fact that Peter Taylor came with him was more by accident than design. I know that when he was in charge he missed games to pursue other interests, he was in Las Vegas for a World Heavyweight title fight for one home game. As far as I'm concerned he was a waste of space here whatever he achieved elsewhere. I remember loosing 8-2 at home to Bristol Rovers and then 4-0 at home to Walton and Hersham, (two games I had the misfortune to see). Whatever crap we've been served up over the years nothing was as bad as that, even loosing 5-0 to Palace pales by comparison.

Had to bunk off school for the walton and hersham game,afternoon mid-week game,went up to walton and hersham for the 0-0 game.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry, I misread your post - I thought you meant our fans!

But I don't agree Peter Taylor came with him more by accident than design. They were pretty much joined at the hip at that time, only separated when Clough was at Leeds on his own and when Taylor was at the Albion. They always worked better as a team, like Mercer and Allison, Booker and White, etc.

I didn't mean that what I meant was it was ALL Peter Taylor that got the ball rolling, as I said earlier Clough spent half time managing us from nowhere near the Goldstone whereas Taylor was the man who was committed. He laid down the roots of the dream team, it had sod all to do with Clough.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Lets just remember,two European cup wins back to back something that has yet to be repeated by an English side. Look at the money in the English game now as to then that sorts your managers and players out. Lampard £130,000 a week but has he won (apart from the league in which only 2/3 sides can now ever win) ? Larry Lloyd,John McGovern and the list goes on,sure they were not great players BUT THEY PLAYED IN A GREAT SIDE. :drink:

I think the European Cup/Champions League debate has been done a few times on here

To win the European Cup in the seventies, you had to win about five two leg ties, the first three of which were against poor opposition, then the final. Also, there wasn't the levels of fitness of today's players, who play a faster game...

It's a different ballgame as the saying goes...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its not bad but a little overrated imo. The Leeds men like Bremner did not take kindly to it as the bloke who plays him is a fat lardy jocko bastard.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Decent enough film - though a fairly facile take on the impressively dark book of the same name.

Oh, and you'd think they could have gone the extra mile and had at least a half-arsed attempt at actually setting the Brighton scene in Brighton instead of just lobbing in a shabby cliche. Lazy.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A glaring error was when they were in Brighton in 1973 and the Palace Pier had the Brighton Pier sign on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here