Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Dammed United.Tonight at 9.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
'Taylor's Army' we used to sing from the North Stand!

It seems strange that the three people in the film connected to Brighton (Bamber, Clough and Taylor) are all no longer with us.

Bamber bringing in Clough, meant Taylor, who was (with hindsight) a really fantastic 'player finder' - and the layer of great foundations for the Mullery teams.

My memory seems to be that Taylor left us when we just missed out on promotion, to join Clough at Forest.

I haven't read the book, but intend to when I go on holiday. Didn't the Clough Family get rather upset about it (the book?)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Didn't the Clough Family get rather upset about it (the book?)

Indeed they did, In particular Barbara was quite distraught about it (it is generally thought to be quite an inaccurate portrayal of his character)

To create a novel that has lot of factual content and many direct quotes is always going to be a bit dodgy.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bottom line, Clough without Taylor wasn't much cop.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One of the most enjoyable books I've read, and a very watchable film too. I think Michael Sheen is my favourite actor and I can't imagine anyone else being able to portray Clough as well as he did.

It's a fascinating era for football and it all seems another world away. What I can't get my head round is how a manager can have gone from Derby > Brighton > Leeds > Forest. It's the modern day equivalent of making Sheff Wed Premier League champions, then coming straight down the the modern day Albion, then taking over Chelsea, then switching to Coventry and making them double European Cup winners.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
im not losing sleep over it, but the blantant ommission removing a year of his life immediately before move to Leeds, made me wonder how accurate the rest of the story was.

It was certainly a little misleading for those that didn't know the sequence of events. Was watching it with Mrs P and she asked "did he come to Brighton after Leeds then?"

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It was certainly a little misleading for those that didn't know the sequence of events. Was watching it with Mrs P and she asked "did he come to Brighton after Leeds then?"

Frankly, it was crap from a Brighton point of view. It looked like he never actually managed Brighton and went to Leeds before he could start at Brighton. I thought the program that followed was better.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
From a Brighton perspective, the biggest inaccuracy of the film was giving the impression Clough walked out on Brighton before a single game was played, making him to look like he was reneging on a verbal agreement with Mike Bamber. Maybe had the makers inserted scenes from after the Bristol Rovers & Walton & Hersham disasters, it could have added to the film.

Making Brighton appear more like a sleepy seaside town akin to Herne Bay or Bexhill on Sea wasn't very accurate either. :ohmy:

Still a great movie & great performance by Sheen.

Yeah, I thought that was strangely mis-leading. there he is on holiday before starting at the Albion, and talking to Peter Taylor about the Charity Shield being a month away. When in reality he was with us for nearly a whole season.

That just made Cloughie seem far more untrustworthy than seemed fair.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'll never forget seeing a CLough interview where he said one of his biggest regrets was letting Mike Bamber down. Off all the chairman he worked for, Bamber was the only football man, whose motavation was the team, and not the cash, and he said if he didn't leave Brighton for Leeds, he probably would sill have been here today (this was said after Forest were winning eveything).

Just think, it could have been us winning the European Cup instead of Forest. Instead we got Bill f***ing Cunthead.

So there's another reason to f***ing hate Leeds

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'll never forget seeing a CLough interview where he said one of his biggest regrets was letting Mike Bamber down. Off all the chairman he worked for, Bamber was the only football man, whose motavation was the team, and not the cash, and he said if he didn't leave Brighton for Leeds, he probably would sill have been here today (this was said after Forest were winning eveything).

Really? That surprises me - They never moved from Derby and everything I ever heard or read suggested that he never wanted to leave the area, (never wanted to leave the club, but that's another story)

Not saying it's not true, just very surprising.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Really? That surprises me - They never moved from Derby and everything I ever heard or read suggested that he never wanted to leave the area, (never wanted to leave the club, but that's another story)

Not saying it's not true, just very surprising.

In point of fact I have heard him being interviewed about us and he said without hesitation that he let us down, he's said in print as well. A bit late but he did acknowledge this.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
In point of fact I have heard him being interviewed about us and he said without hesitation that he let us down, he's said in print as well. A bit late but he did acknowledge this.

Yeah, he has kind words for Mike Bramber in his auto biog. I don't get any impression that he regretted leaving though.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'm sure it was in an interview with someone like PArkinson.

He said the only chairman he let down was Bamber, and of he hadn't left Brighton for Leeds, he would probably still be there today (during his Forest days)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here