Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Dammed United.Tonight at 9.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
see above he was not poor he was very good and started the BHAFC revolution. Also the film ends just BEFORE they take over at Brighton.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
what bloody stadium did they use for Derby, doubt it was that bad in reality ...

Oh, it was. The Baseball Ground was renowned for the state of its pitch - even in the 70s when mud-baths were common,

Also the film ends just BEFORE they take over at Brighton.

Er...no, it doesn't. It ends before he's about to take over at Forest. As other people have pointed out, the film takes liberties with real life by making out he didn't take the job at Brighton.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
what bloody stadium did they use for Derby, doubt it was that bad in reality

Saltergate - It wasn't that bad at all, certainly not in 1973, to be fair the 'main' stand did very much resemble the old one at the BBG. Though I really enjoyed, the blend of fact and fiction is a tad odd and can lead the viewer to believe it was all true.... We actually had a week off before the European Cup semi final but still lost. We wuz robbed.

see above he was not poor he was very good and started the BHAFC revolution. Also the film ends just BEFORE they take over at Brighton.

We won only 12 of 32 games, we finished 19th and he lasted one season. That's not exactly mid-table and it's not "very good" either. His (less than) one year in charge can only have very limited claims to starting the Albion revolution too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't you think it's a bit shit that all people watching this will think that he never managed Brighton?

im not losing sleep over it, but the blantant ommission removing a year of his life immediately before move to Leeds, made me wonder how accurate the rest of the story was.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
THE SYRUPS:

What amazed me was that they went to so much trouble with a lot of the retro-authenticity in that film, but gave the players wigs that looked as though they came from a joke shop on Brighton, sorry Scarborough, seafront. Bremner (or whoever the short ginger one was) had the worst of the lot and when they had the three Derby boys lined up outside Elland Rd after they signed it looked like a comedy sketch from CBBC so bad were the syrups.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Really? Is my mind playing tricks on me? I remember us getting stuffed by Bristol Rovers and Walton & Hersham when he was Manager, and i'm sure he was with us BEFORE Dirty Leeds? I know he turned things around, but they would have had to mention those two games.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
We won only 12 of 32 games, we finished 19th and he lasted one season. That's not exactly mid-table and it's not "very good" either. His (less than) one year in charge can only have very limited claims to starting the Albion revolution too.

Agreed, that was mainly down to Peter Taylor (mk1). To me, if anything, the two programs about Cloughie last knight showed how important Peter Taylor was in the success that Clough had, and how fragile he was on his own.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Clough was the start of the BHAFC 70's revolution so the people who said he was shit are very much mistaken. He shook the team up and got them into a fighting force bar the 2 big home defeats everyone goes on about. He got us from the relegation zone to mid table. Taylor was the brains and he got us Ward. I was there for Clough's first match in November 1973 when our average home gate of 5000 rose to 16000 that day.
Indeed. It wasn't so much what Clough himself did at Brighton (as looking at the bald results he was actually one of our worse managers) but what his appoihtment represented. In a word: ambition. For the first time we thought "Blimey, we've got a chairman who isn't happy for us just to be a run-of-the-mill third division team, this guy (Bamber) wants to see how far he can take us."

It was quite an intoxicating time. Gates almost tripled and never really went back down again until the end of the 'Glory Years'. And of course Taylor stayed and laid the foundations that Mulllery built on.

In our history the term 'BC' means 'Before Clough'. Everything changed when he arrived.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really? Is my mind playing tricks on me? I remember us getting stuffed by Bristol Rovers and Walton & Hersham when he was Manager, and i'm sure he was with us BEFORE Dirty Leeds? I know he turned things around, but they would have had to mention those two games.

:facepalm:

Yoda

English & European
Saltergate - It wasn't that bad at all, certainly not in 1973, to be fair the 'main' stand did very much resemble the old one at the BBG. Though I really enjoyed, the blend of fact and fiction is a tad odd and can lead the viewer to believe it was all true.... We actually had a week off before the European Cup semi final but still lost. We wuz robbed.

Shame they couldn't CGI that new(ish) big East Stand at Elland Road out though. That did make me laugh when you could see it from the "tunnel". :lolol:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Shame they couldn't CGI that new(ish) big East Stand at Elland Road out though. That did make me laugh when you could see it from the "tunnel". :lolol:

Ha, it was strange - They also messed up by having players in the kit with old Ram badge pictured in front of the club entrance with the new one. very pedantic I know but I'm just surprised how shoddy it was at times.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Even though Clough may not have achieved a great deal directly in his stay at the Albion he certainly did two things.

He generated a huge amount of publicity and put the club in the public eye where it had never been before.

And he bought in Peter Taylor who certainly did achieve a lot, even if he eventually resigned for what he saw as failure.

Arguably Clough was the start of the roller coaster that is Brighton and Hove Albion. Up till his arrival we were a normal boring club.

And I can't believe that there are some of our fans who don't know he was manager here.

Are there?

God, I feel old!

my thoughts exactly
and having watched both the film and documentary last night and could'nt help but draw a little analogy with Gus ....likes things done his way and does not suffer fools gladly lets hope Gus has a little of Cloughies success and what great foresight Mike Bamber had too

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
my thoughts exactly
and having watched both the film and documentary last night and could'nt help but draw a little analogy with Gus ....likes things done his way and does not suffer fools gladly lets hope Gus has a little of Cloughies success and what great foresight Mike Bamber had too

Clough had taken an unfashionable club out of the second division, won the Title and had a team in the semi-finals of the European Cup.

It is Poyet's first job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here