The Dammed United.Tonight at 9.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
excellent film

" they are not like us, bloody southerners"

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Perhaps an argument could be formed that football hooliganism came into being after fans witnessed the thuggery on the field of Leeds players, and decided to copy it on the terraces...

Perhaps there might be sociological perspectives on how it started ???

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't you think it's a bit shit that all people watching this will think that he never managed Brighton?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've heard a lot of people say it was completely the opposite, but I wouldn't know, I wasn't there.

Have you thought about counselling?

Armchair Loyalist

Jul 26, 2004
Did anybody watch the cloughie documentary after the film?

My god what a man, who is still sorely missed in this great game of ours.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
iM surpriseD yoU havenT fixtureD anyonE yeT notterS aS thiS threaD iS similaR tO wheN iT camE ouT aT thE cinemA.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its not a film about Brighton. Its a film about Clough.

Like it or not, we are but a tiny scab on that mans phenomal footballing life.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Did you travel up to walton for the first game? I thought we had lost 1-0 rotten view,got back to the burrel to find we had drawn! i think they had a goal disallowed,got turfed off the kiosk roof before seeing it disallowed!

Yes I did, I was young and impressionable then !

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Started reading my book but the film won out - suprisingly good and great cinematography/use of colour as well. Anyone know which ground was used for the old Baseball Ground? I'm guessing some current rugby league ground, although it looked a bit too modern to be any of those ;)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Clough was the start of the BHAFC 70's revolution so the people who said he was shit are very much mistaken. He shook the team up and got them into a fighting force bar the 2 big home defeats everyone goes on about. He got us from the relegation zone to mid table. Taylor was the brains and he got us Ward. I was there for Clough's first match in November 1973 when our average home gate of 5000 rose to 16000 that day.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Billy Bremner and Jonny Giles are *****

I think they could have done better with the actors that played Bremner and Giles: 'Bremner' was far too fat to be a sportsman and 'Giles' was about twice the size of the real one. Giles sued over his portrayal in the original book and won an apology from David Peace.

It was an entertaining film and Michael Sheen is, as always, brilliant in it (I'm wetting myself at the thought of his Hamlet next year) but it's not a patch on the book. The older I get, the more it seems apparent that the adage you can't make a good film out of a good book is absolutely true.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
I was looking forward to seeing it after all they hype - but am probably the only one who thought it was total crap, everything about it was just bad, couldn't they find some players who at least looked like professionals, the Leeds lot looked like comedy actors or Sunday leaguers (compare the footage of the real Leeds players to the film characters). Sheen totally overacted as Clough, what bloody stadium did they use for Derby, doubt it was that bad in reality, it was just boring, turned over after 30 mins, why are football films requiring any real 'props' always so bad and cheap looking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here