Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Currently 782 confirmed cases in West Sussex out of a population of nearly 860,000 (I'm amazed at that figure BTW)

My steam powered calculator reckons that is less than 0.1% so perhaps we are all getting a bit hysterical about something that actually seems pretty well under control?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Currently 782 confirmed cases in West Sussex out of a population of nearly 860,000 (I'm amazed at that figure BTW)

My steam powered calculator reckons that is less than 0.1% so perhaps we are all getting a bit hysterical about something that actually seems pretty well under control?

Only 420 confirmed cases in East Sussex, out of a population of 555,000.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The two words under your name seem quite apt.

Also, can’t read the title of the thread? :yawn:

How do the people maintaining the press are conspiring against the government and expousing conspiracy theorists fit in with the good news thread?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yep, feels like an overwhelming tirade of negative news when the reality is, at least, that distancing is working (and mostly being very well observed), infection rates are dropping, hospital admissions are falling quite quickly, the NHS is coping and has clear headroom in it’s capacity....but none of that even gets a mention.

Totally agree, and I’m hearing the Nightingale Hospital has very few beds occupied thankfully.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
84,000 tonnes of PPE has arrived including 400,000 surgical gowns.

f941a4b4d90eefba855792d869d8250d.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, feels like an overwhelming tirade of negative news when the reality is, at least, that distancing is working (and mostly being very well observed), infection rates are dropping, hospital admissions are falling quite quickly, the NHS is coping and has clear headroom in it’s capacity....but none of that even gets a mention.

Hard to understand, we need good news but there seems to be a relentless attempt at reporting just doom and gloom whilst ignoring anything uplifting, other than stories about individuals raising money and clapping for those on the front line.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Our death rate is horrific seems to be getting worse, I always imagine a championship ground with 14,000 gate all dead. That’s an awful lot of bodies. It’s going to get out of control as a nation he acted to slowly and will pay the price.
As grim and as tragic that sounds, in a population of 65m that’s still a very small number !

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Hard to understand, we need good news but there seems to be a relentless attempt at reporting just doom and gloom whilst ignoring anything uplifting, other than stories about individuals raising money and clapping for those on the front line.

Today for example the lead story on Sky is about the Government wasting 5 weeks leading upto this crisis and a whole bunch of people who would have done things differently, hidden halfway down the story was 84,000 tonnes of PPE we have ordered has now arrived including 400,000 surgical gowns, this should be headlines.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I was recently contacted by the RSH informing me that an operation that had been cancelled at the start of the lockdown is now back on again and should be carried out in the next 4 weeks, I spoke to them to confirm this and asked about the conditions in the hospital and was told it is half empty and have not been overrun as the media would have us believe, my niece is a nurse who was moved to the Royal Sussex confirmed this and said they have plenty of PPE but it disappears through staff theft.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Today for example the lead story on Sky is about the Government wasting 5 weeks leading upto this crisis and a whole bunch of people who would have done things differently, hidden halfway down the story was 84,000 tonnes of PPE we have ordered has now arrived including 400,000 surgical gowns, this should be headlines.

It's the 3rd story on their website now. I'd argue the government's poor handling which lead to additional deaths is the bigger story, you wouldn't that's fine. It's not a media conspiracy

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
But the press have covered this?
I've heard about it and I don't search too much. Weren't all the stories about it being built in the first place good news stories?

That’s like saying it’s good news they are building temporary morgs at Sussex University, when the good news would be it wasn’t needed no?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's the 3rd story on their website now. I'd argue the government's poor handling which lead to additional deaths is the bigger story, you wouldn't that's fine. It's not a media conspiracy

I’m the sort of person who fights the fire in front of me and saves the squabbles and hysteria behind the cause for when the fires out !

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I was recently contacted by the RSH informing me that an operation that had been cancelled at the start of the lockdown is now back on again and should be carried out in the next 4 weeks, I spoke to them to confirm this and asked about the conditions in the hospital and was told it is half empty and have not been overrun as the media would have us believe, my niece is a nurse who was moved to the Royal Sussex confirmed this and said they have plenty of PPE but it disappears through staff theft.

My Mum who’s 86 don’t you know is an outpatient of the Orthopaedic dept, she had her quarterly X-ray and consultation canx few weeks ago at start of lockdown, the consultant himself actually rang her in Friday suggesting if she wants she can come in now.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I’m the sort of person who fights the fire in front of me and saves the squabbles and hysteria behind the cause for when the fires out !

Right, but what if the people who are fighting the fire aren't doing it correctly? This could last for years. And the press' job is to report on the news not 'fight the fire'

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Right, but what if the people who are fighting the fire aren't doing it correctly? This could last for years. And the press' job is to report on the news not 'fight the fire'

That's the thing though. The government has fought the fire based on the advice of their experts, whilst other experts have a differing opinion. It is so new to everyone that nobody is really sure of the best and correct way. Undoubtedly things have gone wrong, but like others I think the time for review of this is when it is beaten, which I hope will be soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Finally some proper good news

EV53EsSWkAIviWb.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here