Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Today for example the lead story on Sky is about the Government wasting 5 weeks leading upto this crisis and a whole bunch of people who would have done things differently, hidden halfway down the story was 84,000 tonnes of PPE we have ordered has now arrived including 400,000 surgical gowns, this should be headlines.

Great news about those 400,000 gowns. In 3 days time, The NHS will need more though.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That's the thing though. The government has fought the fire based on the advice of their experts, whilst other experts have a differing opinion. It is so new to everyone that nobody is really sure of the best and correct way. Undoubtedly things have gone wrong, but like others I think the time for review of this is when it is beaten, which I hope will be soon.

That's precisely the point though, they didn't, they ignored them. Johnson was being advised to raise the threat level and act far sooner than he did. When he should have been acting to severely limit contact between people, he was still farting around joking about it. Or going on holiday. Or not attending Cobra meetings.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m the sort of person who fights the fire in front of me and saves the squabbles and hysteria behind the cause for when the fires out !

We could be fighting this fire for another 6 months, a year, maybe 2. Exactly when in your mind is it permissible to scrutinise government and leadership decisions? Surely knowing mistakes have been made prevents them being repeated? How does anyone lead, whether a head teacher at a school, Fire station commander, police or whatever else you care to mention without oversight and scrutiny? In school governance it’s called the ‘critical friend’. I find it baffling people think the country can be led, especially at a time of crisis without any scrutiny.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Do you lot not realise there is currently a world shortage of PPE. Where do yo all think this will magically appear from. Maybe it will reignite some of our closed manufacturing base and stop our over reliance of importing such items

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So you do believe the media then? The same media responsible for blowing Remain Corbyn and the Labour Party into oblivion?

I don't read Sky News for their opinion no. But that's not the point I'm making, I'm saying that a bigger story for them and me is that the government have acted poorly and made it worse rather than we have enough PPE for the next few days.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
There is. That's why things like planning and understanding risks is so important

This French supplier said that the U.K. put the first order in for more PPE. But he didn't fulfil it as it was requisitioned. This has been spun as the U.K. screwing up and not ordering enough PPE.

A7145E03-3800-4C66-973C-B564B937AABB.png

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't read Sky News for their opinion no. But that's not the point I'm making, I'm saying that a bigger story for them and me is that the government have acted poorly and made it worse rather than we have enough PPE for the next few days.

If you were really honest with yourself I would imagine for you any many other government haters that however they handle this awful situation would register as poor in your eyes.

Anyway good luck to you trawling through the gutter press and occasionally looking at Sky Bad News for tails of misery to underpin your hatred for the government, I’ll leave this conversation as it is meant to be GOOD NEWS thread.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
This French supplier said that the U.K. put the first order in for more PPE. But he didn't fulfil it as it was requisitioned. This has been spun as the U.K. screwing up and not ordering enough PPE.

View attachment 122436

When was the order? How big was it? is this reliable? Etc. You're basing media bias on your without asking any questions first

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This is supposed to be the good news thread :nono:

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
If you were really honest with yourself I would imagine for you any many other government haters that however they handle this awful situation would register as poor in your eyes.

Anyway good luck to you trawling through the gutter press and occasionally looking at Sky Bad News for tails of misery to underpin your hatred for the government, I’ll leave this conversation as it is meant to be GOOD NEWS thread.

It is. I only started because I didn't understand how conspiracy theories fell under that heading. I would like nothing more than to think the government were capable of dealing with this crisis. I eagerly anticipate any evidence of this.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They could have had 10 million delivered and you’d have found a negative.

I can accept there's a lack of it globally, but yes, personally I fail to see positives in regards to PPE and the continuing lack of it when over 50 staff in The NHS have died, let alone what it's like for care homes or shops.

I see above you've now mentioned the media, Corbyn, the Labour party and Brexit, so I regret responding to you at all, in fact I apologise to anyone reading this and I'll leave you to have your fun. All the best.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
When was the order? How big was it? is this reliable? Etc. You're basing media bias on your without asking any questions first

I was talking about political bias rather than specifically media bias.

They didn’t give a date for the order but it said it was before the international scramble for PPE. They supply the NHS, so it would’ve been a bulk order, obviously.

Reliable? It was the head of the company who makes PPE. Believe it if you like.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oi you lot. Come on. Coronavirus Good News Thread. :thumbsup:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Do you lot not realise there is currently a world shortage of PPE. Where do yo all think this will magically appear from. Maybe it will reignite some of our closed manufacturing base and stop our over reliance of importing such items
No magic required !

Just common sense :

[tweet]1251606111200907266[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here