Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Been jabbed with Astra Zeneca within the last half hour. Thanks Sarah Gilbert and others who worked day and night on this, thanks Oxford for being a world leading research centre and thanks to all the wonderful NHS workers for their incredible efforts! I am so proud of the positive role scientists and the NHS have played in the fight against this horrible disease.

Last edited:

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Seen a couple of articles saying the experts are saying a third wave is inevitable this autumn, how come if the vaccinations roll out continues to be a success? Variants?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Daily numbers :

Infections - 5,294, rolling 7 day down 1.9% (tests 1.57m, up 42%)
Deaths - 110, rolling 7 day down 32.8%
Admissions - 464, rolling 7 day down 25.1%
Vaccs - 1st 386k & 2nd 53k, cumulative 24.8m & 1.67m
In hospital - 7,281

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Seen a couple of articles saying the experts are saying a third wave is inevitable this autumn, how come if the vaccinations roll out continues to be a success? Variants?

We simply don’t know how long the vaccines will be effective or what variants might crop up.

Flu jabs are annually, so there is some justification for caution and a reality check for anyone thinking it’s simply back to normal time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Daily numbers :

Infections - 5,294, rolling 7 day down 1.9% (tests 1.57m, up 42%)
Deaths - 110, rolling 7 day down 32.8%
Admissions - 464, rolling 7 day down 25.1%
Vaccs - 1st 386k & 2nd 53k, cumulative 24.8m & 1.67m
In hospital - 7,281

I was one of those 386k

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We simply don’t know how long the vaccines will be effective or what variants might crop up.

Flu jabs are annually, so there is some justification for caution and a reality check for anyone thinking it’s simply back to normal time.

................but on the positive side, most reading on the subject I've done seems to point to an expectation that whilst there might be a third wave of infections, there is a high likelihood there won't be a repeat of the deaths and serious illnesses, there are plans already being developed for further vaccinations if required and the scientists are working on tweaks to the vaccines to deal with variants as they arise.

D

Deleted member 2719

Been jabbed with Astra Zeneca within the last half hour. Thanks Sarah Gilbert and others who worked day and night on this, thanks Oxford for being a world leading research centre and thanks to all the wonderful NHS workers for their incredible efforts! I am so proud of the positive role scientists and the NHS have played in the fight against this horrible disease.

Excellent tribute, but don't forget Boris for having the balls and nous for deciding not to go with the EU program and putting in all those preorders, so when the supplier can not deliver others can.

There are so many that can attribute some portion to this mega-successful vaccination program and long may it continue.:clap2::clap2:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Excellent tribute, but don't forget Boris for having the balls and nous for deciding not to go with the EU program and putting in all those preorders, so when the supplier can not deliver others can.

There are so many that can attribute some portion to this mega-successful vaccination program and long may it continue.:clap2::clap2:

I am glad the government got that decision right. Other things may be contestable but that wouldn't be suitable discussion for the GNT!

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
................but on the positive side, most reading on the subject I've done seems to point to an expectation that whilst there might be a third wave of infections, there is a high likelihood there won't be a repeat of the deaths and serious illnesses, there are plans already being developed for further vaccinations if required and the scientists are working on tweaks to the vaccines to deal with variants as they arise.

I wasn’t for a second suggesting it’s going to happen or even likely to, simply that caution is probably wise at this stage.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I dont think future waves is the right choice of words.

Most scientists etc, talk about Covid as being a further wintry respiratory illness. Much, in the same way we dont call flu a wave, its described as the flu season..

People will still die from covid, same as people die from flu. The difference in future years, vaccines will keep deaths to an acceptable level, albeit very sad for families involved.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Incredible figures, some other councils have 20 times these numbers

I assume that in overall terms there was good adherence to restrictions across SE England over the last two months? The figures for Sussex and Kent due to ‘the Kent variant’ in January were horrendous.

Now it’s the polar opposite, with many Sussex LA’s having amongst the lowest metrics of the 315 English LA’s.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Now official - all over 50s can book their vaccination.

[TWEET]1372076694383824897[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here