Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
A massive boost to the anti-vax mob I’m afraid.

I’m hopeful that many AstraZeneca vaccines will now be redeployed to the UK.

As far as I can tell, much ado about nothing. Some people who had the vaccine went onto have blood clots, but apparently at a rate lower than would typically be expected amongst the general population anyway.

9684c7ad3e7330da363eb83271a66bae.jpg

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
UK vaccination programme to go into overdrive this week

UK experts say there will be a big increase in the number of people being offered Covid vaccinations in the coming days.

The number of shots given is expected to top 4 million this week, nearly double what has been achieved per week recently, NHS sources say.

It should mean all over 50s will have been given at least one dose by the end of the month.

That would put the NHS rollout two weeks ahead of schedule.

The increase has been made possible by a large shipment of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine from the Serum Institute in India, which has arrived and passed safety checks.

So far more than 24 million people have already received a first dose of Covid vaccine in the UK.

Vaccination teams are now working their way through the priority list of people in their 50s and younger adults with disability.

Once this are completed it will mean all nine of the priority groups in the first phase of the programme will have received a dose.

There are just over 30 million people in these groups, which also include frontline health workers.

Prof Anthony Harnden, deputy chairman of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, said the vaccination programme was proving to be "tremendously successful".

"Those first nine priority groups included 99% of all hospitalisations and deaths, certainly in wave one of the pandemic, so we're feeling very optimistic.

"We're seeing a very sharp reduction in the deaths and hospitalisations throughout the country."

The UK reported 5,089 new cases of Covid on Monday, with a further 64 new deaths within 28 days of positive coronavirus test.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56407251

Two weeks ahead of schedule at this stage, and going like the clappers at 4m doses per week is huge news.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As far as I can tell, much ado about nothing. Some people who had the vaccine went onto have blood clots, but apparently at a rate lower than would typically be expected amongst the general population anyway.

View attachment 134928

https://twitter.com/jopo_dr/status/1371435904506720256?s=21

I would like to take a moment to discuss, fairly, the AstraZeneca clot news tornado. Firstly, it is safe. Venous thromboembolism has a background rate in population of 120 in 100,000 (0.12%) age 50, 50 in 100,000 age 25. Pregnancy 60 in 100,000. The AZ reports say that their rate of incidence is 30 in 5 million ... 0.0006%. So whilst it is a contract of vaccine study that they have to investigate any significant clinical events after receiving vaccine, important to differentiate whether causal.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

View attachment 134928

This article I think puts all the AstraZeneca myths to bed. Several professors and the WHO have no concerns, even the European Medicines Agency suggests continued use.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56360646

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My brother has been contacted for his jab - 39 years old, no known underlying conditions (possibly something minor and liver-related from years ago).

They choose Midfield Generals as priority :thumbsup: (You can pass this message on ;) )

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
On a side note - a load of us have booked a friends mums villa in south of France for end of August - I’ve not kept up with travel restrictions / predictions or France but anyone got an opinion on likelihood of us going? Won’t hold you too it!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On a side note - a load of us have booked a friends mums villa in south of France for end of August - I’ve not kept up with travel restrictions / predictions or France but anyone got an opinion on likelihood of us going? Won’t hold you too it!

unless Europe has some economic death wish they'll be allowing tourists throughout the summer. you'll probably be vaccinated by then anyway and free to pass any restrictions going to returning.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Subject to review the International travel restrictions are supposed to be lifted no earlier than May 17th....

Anyone's guess though whether France will be letting people in.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Good news is that of all my side of the family, ranging from 85 (Auntie) to 30 (NHS staff) will have been jabbed by Tuesday 23rd. A little annoyed that I will be the last one, when by no means the youngest! This sudden extra surge has meant that my brother-in-law in the 50-55 age bracket has been invited for a jab in the period between me (55-60) booking mine through the national system, and actually going to get it. Still - good all round!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
unless Europe has some economic death wish they'll be allowing tourists throughout the summer. you'll probably be vaccinated by then anyway and free to pass any restrictions going to returning.

Any idea what recipient nations such as France will do about unvaccinated under 16’s?

Imho Greece, Turkey and Cyprus, for example, will remove almost all obstacles. Wanting and needing tourist income.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Any idea what recipient nations such as France will do about unvaccinated under 16’s?

Imho Greece, Turkey and Cyprus, for example, will remove almost all obstacles. Wanting and needing tourist income.

Going to Cyprus next year for a wedding - but need France this year like you wouldn’t believe. Yes, first world problems I know - just need a chuffing holiday!!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Going to Cyprus next year for a wedding - but need France this year like you wouldn’t believe. Yes, first world problems I know - just need a chuffing holiday!!!

Hi. I’m of the same thinking. I’ve fully supported restrictions to beat the pandemic, but holidays are important for me. We managed to get to Italy last August, in a brief window before the second wave.

I’m hoping we can get to the US and Austria this year, so I keep any eye on when we’ll be allowed in without quarantine.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1371756621043482628[/TWEET]

See you later Covid, you prick.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

I have some friends in Cyprus and go most years but didn't make it last year. Last year you could go but had to have a negative test within 3 days of flying out and register the test results on a Cypriot Govt portal. Under 12's were exempt from this. I'm hearing from friends that having the vaccine will let you in this year no questions, but if you haven't had both when you travel then a negative test within 3 days of travel will suffice. Again under 12's can just go. It means kids 12-18 who won't get a vaccine will need to have a test. If it's like last year it can't be the quick swab test but the full test.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here