Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the 2 things that stuck out on the various reports about the mass vaccination centres this morning was the capability of doing a jab every 15 seconds and that there are "dozens" of them planned.

Yup - 7 starting today but my understanding is somewhere between 40-50 are planned across the UK.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I just tried it again based on the 2 million a week target as a 47 year old and it had first jab mid may at the latest and programme completed in 1.05 years. Cheered me up even if it is an optimistic take

It’s pretty much nonsense - Hancock has already stated that the aim is to do all over 18s by the Autumn. We’ll do way better than the calculator predicts [emoji16]

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
It’s pretty much nonsense - Hancock has already stated that the aim is to do all over 18s by the Autumn. We’ll do way better than the calculator predicts [emoji16]

Could even be by mid-August if things continue as planned (ie. 2m per week).

Just in time for the new football season. :clap2:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

It is, but still nice to see it going pretty well. Reality is if this is going to become an annual jab then it needs to take.well under a year to cover everyone and there is no reason providing supply lines work well that we can't be almost there come august

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is, but still nice to see it going pretty well. Reality is if this is going to become an annual jab then it needs to take.well under a year to cover everyone and there is no reason providing supply lines work well that we can't be almost there come august

I think the hope - especially with improving treatments - is that it may join the flu as being annual for over-50s, but probably not for everyone. That's my initial, limited understanding anyway.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think the hope - especially with improving treatments - is that it may join the flu as being annual for over-50s, but probably not for everyone. That's my initial, limited understanding anyway.

I still have the feeling that once the 9 groups are done it might be a "if you want it" situation this will spread out any booster jabs in future years.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

The prof I listened to on the radio yesterday said they still have no idea how long the immunity will last - anything from a year to a lifetime - though I guess this will depend on how much the virus mutates as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The prof I listened to on the radio yesterday said they still have no idea how long the immunity will last - anything from a year to a lifetime - though I guess this will depend on how much the virus mutates as well.

So many unknowns - hopefully it turns out to be similar to a closely-related virus, MERS - for which people are still showing T Cell immunity some 17 years later.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Having spoken to a volunteer at The Westway Centre who are doing the vaccines in Caterham, yesterday (Sunday) six nurses completed 600 jabs. With more and more centres opening in East Surrey they are rapidly getting through the community.
Light at the end of the tunnel, personally I'm more positive it would just be nice to have a clearer picture of when I'm due for the jab, working customer facing I'm bathing in sanitizer and my hands aren't as soft as they were........

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Yup - 7 starting today but my understanding is somewhere between 40-50 are planned across the UK.

Using the lower figure of 40 that is enough capacity for 115,000 jabs a day in those centres alone. Unless my maths is wrong, which is likely.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
2.4m jabs in UK so far, apparently.

Would suggest we are now hitting at least 150,000 or so a day.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
2.4m jabs in UK so far, apparently.

Would suggest we are now hitting at least 150,000 or so a day.

That is indeed good news. May seem small in relation to population but gradually the most susceptible are being vaccinated !! Keep jabbing!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here