Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Lets keep this thread on track please , plenty of other threads to voice opinions.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Maybe, but it was ill timed, ill advised, open to (deliberate) mis interpretation and something that must have been in his thoughts.

Which groups of people did he think footballers be ahead of?
I agree that it was open to misinterpretation, especially in days like these when there are large groups of people who have a serious ambition to be offended. Such as perhaps yourself? Does Dyche's comment really deserve the epithet you gave him, or was it just that being prejudiced against Sean Dyche you decided to believe the worst based on very incomplete evidence?

The point is that no priority list has yet been given of the under 50's. He accepted that the current priority list comes fisrt, but once the vlunerable have all been vaccinated, plus the key workers among the under-50 group if they aren't covered already, then for financial reasons it would make sense to do footballers early in the next set.

Of course, for many people that is too complicated and "Sean Dyche wants to kill your granny" is about as much as they can take from it. Don't be one of them!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Good news, my 89 year old Mum had her Pfizer jab today in Caterham. Six nurses doing a jab every five minutes fantastic effort.

Also well done to the local volunteers who have been marshalling the old folk in sub zero temperatures.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Good news, my 89 year old Mum had her Pfizer jab today in Caterham. Six nurses doing a jab every five minutes fantastic effort.

Also well done to the local volunteers who have been marshalling the old folk in sub zero temperatures.

Is that 12 jabs an hour each - ie 72 in total?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Is that 12 jabs an hour each - ie 72 in total?
From what my Mum said, yes. They opened at 8am and I think they close at 8pm, I presume subject to the number of vaccines on site. A great effort all round and with more and more centres opening every week they are rapidly getting through the old folk up here in East Surrey.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds like tomorrow’s UK vaccinated figure is going to be surprisingly decent.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Are jabs being given at weekends at the moment, and are the figures updating to cover that, or will they jump on the days after weekends like the others?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

For all the flak our nation has, quite rightly, taken for its handling of the pandemic, I think it’s important to take a step back and take stock of the things, mostly those not directly over seen by number 10, that we’ve got brilliantly right.

We’ve led the way in terms of scientific discovery, developed an effective and highly accessible vaccine and appear to be doing rather well in terms of getting vaccines to the people.

These should be reminders that we are still a force to be reckoned with, and a force for good at that.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

It's a double-edged sword I guess, but in terms of us emerging from the grips of the pandemic I'd imagine so. As others on here have rightly pointed out, there are no guarantees that anyone infected early last year would still have immunity now, but the absence of many (or even any) symptomatic reinfections would suggest the outlook is probably good on that front.

You'd also imagine that there's a relatively small interesct between those who have had the virus and those being fast-tracked for vaccination. On that basis, if we hit our target of 15 million people vaccinated over the next six weeks, then by that point we could well be approaching 30 million people with a good level of immunity.

Though of course there is always going to be a lag between symptomatic cases and those requiring hospital care, I think it's right to be very optimistic that this point will signal the beginning of the end, with a swift tapering off serious cases and gradual but pacy removal of restrictions. There's light at the end of this very long tunnel.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some of the mega regional vaccination centres are opening today, with more to follow. Seems as though even without them we’re already doing something like 200,000 per day already so the 2m+ per week targeted is well within reach.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Some of the mega regional vaccination centres are opening today, with more to follow. Seems as though even without them we’re already doing something like 200,000 per day already so the 2m+ per week targeted is well within reach.

I think the 2 things that stuck out on the various reports about the mass vaccination centres this morning was the capability of doing a jab every 15 seconds and that there are "dozens" of them planned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here