Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
I was asked this earlier today - my reply is here More snow tomorrow? [2010-11 season]

Basically it depends, but if you want to make snow-balls it needs to be just about freezing, otherwise you get the wrong type of snow (powdery). Personally I feel far more comfortable when it's very cold. Back in 1983 and 1991 it snowed in Sussex with air temps of -4C or lower... that was 'safe' snow, no chance of sleet, raint, sneet or any other variant :)

Thanks Papa. Fingers crossed for some low temperatures then :thumbsup:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Temp just nudged up to 1.3C (+0.1C). Perhaps the rain / sleet is on it's way

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Frustratingly my wife and daughter made it out of gatwick but four hours delayed, missed their connection in Doha where they are now stuck for 30 hours; and will miss an onward connection in Jakarta as well meaning they will arrive over 40 hours later than planned :( f***ing weather. :(

This morning's message from Regards Graeme at the Met Office to the local authorities in the south east:-

Good morning folks,

In this missive I'll try to give an indication of the weather right through the Christmas weekend but I'm sure you're all too well aware that forecasts out as far as 5 days away are often subject to change so please keep monitoring the forecasts as we go forward.

Today should be relatively quiet. With a lot of cloud around there could be occasional snow flurries almost anywhere but no great amounts are expected during Tuesday daytime.

Later today and through tonight though there is an increasing risk of further snow, some of it heavy , in some areas. Current ideas suggest that the Thames Valley area, particularly Oxon, Bucks and Milton Keynes, and counties to the north of London are most at risk. The risk continues into Wednesday morning. We could see 2-5cm generally and a few places could see 10 or more centimetres falling in quite a short space of time. At this stage though confidence in amounts is at best moderate. Watch out for updated advisories and Flash warnings during the next 12-24 hours. A little more snow for southern counties during this period is possible but looks a much lower risk but it will be worth keeping an eye on via the radar images ( Met Office: British Isles: Rainfall radar ). The main area of snow should peter out during Wednesday afternoon.

For the rest of the week and into the weekend we should mostly be restricted to problems with ice and some freezing fog patches. Kent and East Sussex may see some snow showers running across on a brisk northeast wind but this risk should decrease as we go into the weekend. Any thaw of lying snow will be slow during the day with re-freezing overnight.

Looking further ahead into next week, below are our current thoughts for the UK as a whole which might be helpful.

Turning milder, quite possibly with strong winds and heavy rain preceded by some temporary snow. The most likely timing for this transition is in the period 26th – 28th December, though with the risk (30 percent) that the cold conditions will not be displaced. Indications are that the period into the New Year will see a gradual return to settled weather with night time frosts, especially in the north, though not as cold as the current spell.

I plan to be out of the office from the end of today on my Christmas break but I will be available on my mobile if required. We will be aiming to make sure you get appropriate messages should any significant weather appear on the horizon but please remember the duty forecaster is available 24/7 should you need any particular updates.

I wish everybody a happy (and quiet) Christmas but no doubt I'll be in touch before the New Year. The Met Office Christmas e-card is attached!

Regards,

Graeme

Update:-

The young Miss Bracknell finally arrived at Heathrow at 10.17am today (52 hours late). Curiously, the items of luggage that had been left behind at Nairobi (including my Christmas present) have also now arrived at Heathrow.

All is well. At last.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here