Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

I think it is now 4C 39F here.

Are you low down?- Interesting what difference altitude and shelter makes in local microclimates- last thaw was ineffective if you snow was sheltered from strong sea breeze- eg high walls. "North Face" of Race Hill dropping into Bevendean has been frozen solid for at least a fortnight- no sun, out of coastal breeze. God knows what the heating bill is in those houses tucked right under the downs at Clayton and Fulking etc.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Actually the last few days I have called it spot on.

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
New weather warning for overnight.

Heavy Snow 2100 Mon 20 0300 Tue 21

Outbreaks of snow will continue through the rest of Monday evening and into Tuesday morning giving additional accumulations of 2 to 5 cm quite widely and perhaps as much as 10 to 15 cm over higher ground. Locations towards and along the south coast are likely to see a mixture of rain and sleet.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
New weather warning for overnight.

Heavy Snow 2100 Mon 20 0300 Tue 21

Outbreaks of snow will continue through the rest of Monday evening and into Tuesday morning giving additional accumulations of 2 to 5 cm quite widely and perhaps as much as 10 to 15 cm over higher ground. Locations towards and along the south coast are likely to see a mixture of rain and sleet.

the rain today has a blob of something in the channel below Bournemouth, heading towards us. hope thats not snow...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Snowing lightly again in Longleat. May have to move here for the rest of the winter.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What's perfect temperature for snow Papa? Surely it doesn't have to be zero or.below?

I was asked this earlier today - my reply is here More snow tomorrow? [2010-11 season]

Basically it depends, but if you want to make snow-balls it needs to be just about freezing, otherwise you get the wrong type of snow (powdery). Personally I feel far more comfortable when it's very cold. Back in 1983 and 1991 it snowed in Sussex with air temps of -4C or lower... that was 'safe' snow, no chance of sleet, raint, sneet or any other variant :)

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
been torrential rain in Eastbourne since 4pm, still raining now

I don't rate our chances of snow on the coast tonight... the wind still has a southerly element, even at the surface, so the temp just isn't dropping fast enough. We need a surface wind off the land, to keep the influence of the sea from increasign the temps and dew points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here