Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
not much in Horsham now

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Been a few light showers in Worthing all afternoon but way too small and light to settle.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Been a few light showers in Worthing all afternoon but way too small and light to settle.

The streamer that's coming inland from the Thames is evaporating before it gets as far as Worthing, hence snow in Horsham and Crawley, but not here

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Papa, I have a question for you if I may. Although the temperature at altitude is low enough to create snow, and we have an easterly air flow, the actual surface temperatures are not that low. We are forecast for 4C tomorrow. What are the conditions that have to occur to give us really cold weather - e.g. below freezing by day?
If I remember rightly we had a record -13c in Hove one night in 1981/82, and daytime temperatures were very cold.

Yoda

English & European
Re: The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

The streamer that's coming inland from the Thames is evaporating before it gets as far as Worthing, hence snow in Horsham and Crawley, but not here

Without having looked lately, are the winds due to pick up at all? That seems to be the only chance we have of getting any decent snow in Worthing.

Yoda

English & European
Re: The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

Papa, I have a question for you if I may. Although the temperature at altitude is low enough to create snow, and we have an easterly air flow, the actual surface temperatures are not that low. We are forecast for 4C tomorrow. What are the conditions that have to occur to give us really cold weather - e.g. below freezing by day?
If I remember rightly we had a record -13c in Hove one night in 1981/82, and daytime temperatures were very cold.

All comes down to a combination of temperature at altitude, thickness levels of warmer air and how low the dew point is. Papa will be able to explain better though.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Snowing quite steadily for a while now in Willingdon. Not flumping but settling on cars.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Just seen the forecast for the next 5 days from the met office website.... cold, grey and a bitter north east wind all sodding week.

Any of you experts see an end to this shit weather.....surely we must see some signs of it warming up a bit soon....i was wearing shorts at work at the end of feb last year !!!!!!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Just seen the forecast for the next 5 days from the met office website.... cold, grey and a bitter north east wind all sodding week.

Any of you experts see an end to this shit weather.....surely we must see some signs of it warming up a bit soon....i was wearing shorts at work at the end of feb last year !!!!!!

Looking like staying cold for the next 10 days, with the possibility of it warming up slightly but I ignore forecasts past 7-10 days anyway.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I'll be hoping for some of the warmer stuff..first lawn to be cut week tomorrow

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We're going to get a bit of a shock next week.

This warm interlude isn't going to last.

Exhibit 1: high level temps drop off a cliff on Sunday - snow percentage suddenly spike

GFS Worthing Ens 05-03-13 00Z.JPG

Exhibit 2: According to the GFS Op run, snow is pushing down the country on Sunday morning

01 - Sunday am.JPG

Exhibit 3: By mid Sunday there's widespread snow here... not very heavy.

02 - Sunday Noon.JPG

This would mark the start of a 3-5 day cold spell, with snow possible at times down here. There is the chance of some very cold upper temps (-12 to -13C).

All to play for... if you like cold weather and snow.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
P.S. The other models, UKMO & ECM both support a similar evolution to this...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We're going to get a bit of a shock next week.

This warm interlude isn't going to last.

Exhibit 1: high level temps drop off a cliff on Sunday - snow percentage suddenly spike

View attachment 40052

Exhibit 2: According to the GFS Op run, snow is pushing down the country on Sunday morning

View attachment 40053

Exhibit 3: By mid Sunday there's widespread snow here... not very heavy.

View attachment 40054

This would mark the start of a 3-5 day cold spell, with snow possible at times down here. There is the chance of some very cold upper temps (-12 to -13C).

All to play for... if you like cold weather and snow.

This is a VERY exciting development

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here