Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The 6Z GFS supports this general evolution..

I cannot begin to tell you how much this has irritated me. Yesterday someone in the office said exactly the same thing and after having a quick squizz at NSC for this thread and not seeing it announced he was talking total bollocks.

You've let yourself down here papa, you've let NSC down and most important, you've let me down.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I cannot begin to tell you how much this has irritated me. Yesterday someone in the office said exactly the same thing and after having a quick squizz at NSC for this thread and not seeing it announced he was talking total bollocks.

You've let yourself down here papa, you've let NSC down and most important, you've let me down.

Haha I've just made the announcement to the office that it WILL snow again next week from Sunday.

People are laughing at me, that are doubting me. I just said "my source" suggests otherwise. This better go well.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I only tell it as it is... I've been mentioning the chance of this cold spell on twitter for a few days now, but I only bring it here when it's a little more likely; I don't want to get a Spielbergian reputation for scaremongering.

It is as it is... I don't MAKE the weather.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Haha I've just made the announcement to the office that it WILL snow again next week from Sunday.

People are laughing at me, that are doubting me. I just said "my source" suggests otherwise. This better go well.

Don't be specific - it will snow - just leave yourself some Piers Corbyn style wriggle room on the exact location and timing.

I only tell it as it is... I've been mentioning the chance of this cold spell on twitter for a few days now, but I only bring it here when it's a little more likely; I don't want to get a Spielbergian reputation for scaremongering.

It is as it is... I don't MAKE the weather.

I think you do, it is IMPOSSIBLE to be as accurate as you are unless you have some hand in it.

BOOOOOOO.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Dear Winter,

Please piss off.

Regards,

Djmiles

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
Re: The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

I have turned off the heating for the winter, might have to stick it back on or just go to the nice warm pub in the evening instead.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ah, see I went for the 'From Sunday'. Very much like the "There will be an additional time of AT LEAST 3 minutes".

Good work... being too specific, even if you really want to is a dangerous game. Often the data is not precise enough to be that specific, so it exposes you to looking like a right arse when the specific weather doesn't arrive exactly on time in the exact place. I guess the rule is to match your precision to that of the forecast data.

Yoda

English & European
Re: The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

Fir once, not happy. We're putting on the Worthing 20 Sunday.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Fir once, not happy. We're putting on the Worthing 20 Sunday.

Try and get it all done in the morning?

There's still time for the exact timing of the front to change - it may end up a Sunday evening thing...

Edit: Or maybe not...

6Z GFS brings it earlier.. .

GFS 6Z - Sunday am.JPG

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
Try and get it all done in the morning?

There's still time for the exact timing of the front to change - it may end up a Sunday evening thing...

10:00 start for the runners (with those of us setting up from about 07:00). It all depends on the last runners though for how long it takes, some could take 6 hours+

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
10:00 start for the runners (with those of us setting up from about 07:00). It all depends on the last runners though for how long it takes, some could take 6 hours+

hhmm.... chilly

GFS 6Z - Sunday am.JPG

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
:clap: yay more snow...

As sunny and springy as it feels now i can believe we could see snow. As only a few days before our last brace of snow was sunny and springy too.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
:clap: yay more snow...

As sunny and springy as it feels now i can believe we could see snow. As only a few days before our last brace of snow was sunny and springy too.

Sunday April 6th 2008 - it had been about 16C on the Friday and at 8am it was 5C in Worthing - by 9am it was 0C and snowing.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Today's 2 GFS runs have firmed up details.

Early next week (possibly as early as late Sunday) were likely to see rain turning to sleet/snow (esp north of our region), as very cold air starts to be drawn in from the East...

The very cold air quickly covers us (850hpa temps of between -10 and -15C by Monday), with high snow percentages through Monday into Tuesday... although actual precipitation amounts aren't massive at this range.

Let me be clear, although we're into March, with the strong NE feed, and very cold uppers, we could see some very vigorous shower development, both off the North Sea and (with the stronger sun) over land via convection (as long as we get some sunshine).

This sort of setup can deliver warm sunshine (out of the wind) one minute and heavy snow showers the next. Settling snow will probably be temporary in the whole, if the sun comes out, but were we to get a more organised band of snow (i.e. no sunshine) it will settle.

I'd say Monday to Tuesday will both be close to ice days, especially inland to the NE of our region.

GFS Worthing Ens 06-03-13 06Z.JPG

It will probably slowly warm up from there, although there is some model support (ECM) for a longer cold spell...

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Today's 2 GFS runs have firmed up details.

Early next week (possibly as early as late Sunday) were likely to see rain turning to sleet/snow (esp north of our region), as very cold air starts to be drawn in from the East...

The very cold air quickly covers us (850hpa temps of between -10 and -15C by Monday), with high snow percentages through Monday into Tuesday... although actual precipitation amounts aren't massive at this range.

Let me be clear, although we're into March, with the strong NE feed, and very cold uppers, we could see some very vigorous shower development, both off the North Sea and (with the stronger sun) over land via convection (as long as we get some sunshine).

This sort of setup can deliver warm sunshine (out of the wind) one minute and heavy snow showers the next. Settling snow will probably be temporary in the whole, if the sun comes out, but were we to get a more organised band of snow (i.e. no sunshine) it will settle.

I'd say Monday to Tuesday will both be close to ice days, especially inland to the NE of our region.

View attachment 40092

It will probably slowly warm up from there, although there is some model support (ECM) for a longer cold spell...

so no snow Sunday now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here