Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex - In danger of becoming sterile

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is not a case of it being isolated to BHAFC, it is the way of all new stadium / clubs and is the money making / corporate nature of the need to maximise revenue so it is / would be exactly the same at Palace or anywhere else. It is a football issue. It is just something to accept and live with and the fabulous new stadium makes that more than bearable. I suppose I am making observations on the new football experience in general and that goes from Sky/ players earning £ 200k a week down the line and we are close to being part of that.

sammy g

Having been a regular attender at times, to all the grounds we called home in the last 28 years I have been really impressed by the Amex atmosphere so far. The Posh game and Saturday were the quietest so far. As has been discussed their are reasons for this. I think its right that fans spell it out if the atmosphere starts to fall flat- no one wants an Emirates. But I do struggle when people like the NSK come into criticism or people are moaned at for singing anti-Palace songs. Anyone be it individuals or groups should be applauded and supported not driven out and moaned at. Slippery Seagull has it right. We should be chuffed at how things are going and continue to ensure the the atmosphere continues to be one of the best in the league, not my words but those of Leeds fans after the 3-3.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Eh? Whereabouts in the East are you? There seems to be a decent atmosphere in the North end of the East...

South near the away fans.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I blame the atmosphere on the pies.

Those who have had one are just too satisfied to sing, those who gave up q'ing are simply too hungry, too weak to sing.

Ah, the nail is hit squarely oin the head.
It is indeed the fault of the pies.

after such a fabulous expeience, a man clearly needs a quiet siesta to sleep it off....................................................

oh and the pints don't help either

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes, it does seem a bit DULL down there. If you look down the stand some time, you'll see our end all singing with the rest of the ground. :thumbsup:

I think it is probably duller than any other part of the ground. " The stand of the living dead " it should be renamed.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I am seriously worried that if I let slip out an expletive in the heat of the moment or give the away fans a finger I would be banned. The atmosphere where I am is shocking and there are always quite a few empty seats as well. The West Middle need to have a long hard look at themselves in the mirror as 5 minutes into the second half the whole stand was virtually empty. Also I must have to get up and down from my seat at least 50 times with people wandering in and out of the stands all game. The Amex is a wonderful stadium, BHAFC are a great side, Poyet is a brilliant manager but we need to do something to create an intimidating atmosphere for the opposition at least away from the family area and anyone who knows anything about football knows that, do the people who run the Amex know this ?. I was the only one in the West South after 92 minutes against CPFC as everyone else had left and that is unforgiveable. I cannot see the need to leave the stands nearly 10 minutes before half time but people pay their money and its their choice. No one in my area sings at all.

Bring back terracing...Seemples.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it is probably duller than any other part of the ground. " The stand of the living dead " it should be renamed.
Get a ticket in the family stand (you will need a nipper or people will think you're a kiddy fiddler) and you will find it a very different experience. It is reasonably full and fairly noise.

So if the wrong half of the East stand is the only part of the ground where people sit in silence, I think we're doing pretty well. How did you get your seat selection so wrong? :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Get a ticket in the family stand (you will need a nipper or people will think you're a kiddy fiddler) and you will find it a very different experience. It is reasonably full and fairly noise.

So if the wrong half of the East stand is the only part of the ground where people sit in silence, I think we're doing pretty well. How did you get your seat selection so wrong? :lolol:

My mate is quite a quiet reserved chap who likes to sit at the County Ground on a Sunny day with a pint and light applause occassionally. He will be happy to know he has exactly the same experience at the Amex.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
So you swore at them and then they ignored you????????? Hardly suprising is it?

Oh dear. Yes, I swore in the heat of the moment, it's called passion mate, remember that? Perhaps I should now report myself in case I upset anyone else's sensibilities.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No problems with the atmosphere from my vantage point in the WSU. If you cannot enjoy watching football at the Amex then you really should find something else to do with your time. Honestly I despair of this board at sometimes, I really do.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No problems with the atmosphere from my vantage point in the WSU. If you cannot enjoy watching football at the Amex then you really should find something else to do with your time. Honestly I despair of this board at sometimes, I really do.

There's nothing wrong with having a healthy debate to see if there are any ideas to improve the atmosphere and ultimately the support for the team, nothing wrong at all. No point in thinking you are a better supporter because you just worship at the altar of BHAFC without ever questioning anything. Perceived loyalty can end up harming the club like people who slagged off people who were not happy with Slade's 3 wins in 16 games , this sort of blind and misguided loyalty to the cause would have meant 4th division football and no Poyet.

I don't want the Amex to become a Wanky Man Utd type experience So I am for all for having an opinion as paying £ 545 am just as entitled to do so as you or are the club going to start banning people for having an opinion ?, quite possibly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There's nothing wrong with having a healthy debate to see if there are any ideas to improve the atmosphere and ultimately the support for the team, nothing wrong at all. No point in thinking you are a better supporter because you just worship at the altar of BHAFC without ever questioning anything. Perceived loyalty can end up harming the club like people who slag off people who were not happy with Slade's 3 wins in 16 , this sort of blind and misguided loyalty to the cause would have meant 4th division football and no Poyet.

I don't want the Amex to become a Wanky Man Utd type experience So I am for all for having an opinion as paying £ 545 am just as entitled to do so as you or are the club going to start banning people for having an opinion ?, quite possibly.

WTF?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Very intelligent Alan. We all know you would never say anything out of line re BHAFC , fair enough but try and offer something or don't bother posting, thanks mate.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Something needs to be done. The atmosphere is in danger of becoming sterile. This was shockingly noticeable at the CPFC game when our fans went AWOL for the most important game of the season.

Leeds sang us off the park for most of the game and Hull City outsang us for 80% of the game.
The WALL of noise noticeable in the early games is sadly lacking now. Why is this ?. Has the novelty worn off already ?.

I am all for a family friendly environment but the experiece imo is in danger of becoming like a day out at Alton Towers and with respect Mums and Dads with their 5 year olds will not create an intimidating atmosphere for the away teams to face and whether we like it or not, this will add to our chances of winning games.

The exodus with 6 minutes to go before half time was shocking and embarrassing. Unless you are desperate for a p*ss there is no excuse for this. The team need you there , supporting them and you cannot do that from trap 2 or in the queue for a Steak and Ale Pie.

The seat behind me has become like pass the parcel with a variety of newbies coming along. Don't get me wrong we need the newbies and they should be welcomed with open arms but we also must not forget that we need the die hards and the people who show passion and vocal support to drive the team on. I am the only one who stands up and vents at the ref and opposition in my area , the rest sit down, applauding occassion or like the bloke behind me slagging off Liam Bridcutt all game to which I " had a word ".

The worry is, any display of passion will be studied by the CTV gang looking to ban people. All good and well for genuine offences but we are in danger of becoming too fluffy and friendly and I need some genuine passion from the fans.

Thank God for the Northstanders who try and create some noise and passion even though we only have about 2 songs as the West stand appears to be going AWOL now.

What is to be done ?.

Sorry Gareth but from WSU North end I barely heard Hull at all and although i agree Sats atmo was poor, i certainly heard BHA more than Hull. De[pends where u r in the ground for sure. Leeds were by far the loudest away fans this season and def outsung us from 10 mins - 45 mins. After and before that we (rightly) outsang them - and the Leeds fans on here after the game agreed.

Was everyone too pissed on Sat as it was an obscure KO time?!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I reckon I still have a hangover from the CPFC game as the conduct of our " fans " from 80 minutes onwards was an utter disgrace and embarrassment and that will take some living down and this game made me really question what our fan base is now made up of. I would think 5000-8000 diehards, 5000 occassionals, 5000 + - newbies. It will be interesting to see what the renewals are like when the novelty has worn off and the " Voyeurs " lose interest. It will take a good decade to bring back a packed stadium of BHAFC nutters who would never dream of leaving their seat before the whistle has blown for half time / full time. Until then I will have to put up with uninformed idiots like the person behind me and bite my tongue or try and get seats with the " real fans " in the North next season. Thanks for the debate I am off.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think a lot of fans get bored with the same old AAAAAAALLLBBBBIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNN ...... AAAAALLLBBBIIIIOOOOOOOOONNN chant 20 times a game.

New songs, and use up all the old ones we have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here