Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Academy Awards

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry but I think there’s still a line which shouldn’t be crossed, even when mocking celebrities, and I’d put genetic disease well and truly over that line. Would it have been acceptable to mock her if she had to use a wheelchair? Or for the colour of her skin? Or her gender? Or are these things fine because she’s a celebrity?
Exactly. Mocking people like George Clooney and Leonardo Dicaprio because they date people much younger than themselves is very different to mocking someone's health issues. I've seen most of Ricky Gervais's ceremony gigs and don't remember the celeb jokes being against someone's health like that (maybe someone with a better memory can quote some).

And comparing a woman's hair loss with a man's hair loss is obtuse.

That's not to say I condone what Will did, it was a stupid reaction.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Well yeh and it takes a few seconds for the brain to properly process things like that

This all comes down it. "Is it it ok to hit someone for insulting your wife? The answer I suspect is changing over time with fewer people year on year who would say yes

Bollocks - no-one would insult my Wife in front of me unless they wanted a faceful of fist.

And I haven't punched anyone for many years, even given severe provocation to do so from various twats.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Several people have already made that point on this thread and I've already said I took the point when Swansman made it.
I hadn't read the entire thread, so I quoted your post when I saw it. And I can't see what Swanny says. I'd never used the ignore function before, but receiving abuse via pm was a step too far.

I didn't find it funny, it was lame, but I also feel that "cruel" is a big exaggeration.
A female friend of mine has alopecia and she finds it extremely distressing. I (like most people) know plenty of men who have hair loss, and none of the ones I've known have appeared to find it so upsetting. Maybe that's why it seemed cruel to me.

I do understand why Smith took exception to it but what I really can't accept is that he punched the comedian for saying it. That is a terrible way to deal with the problem.
I agree.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I did it because I dont find him funny. The same reason I label gangsta-mumble-rappers "musicians" because I dont consider what they do as music. It has no relation to what any of those three people think... you might think they're world famous but other than 15 minutes of fame for Farage no one outside the UK sphere gives a **** about them or would be influenced by any of them.

You may be unsurprised to know that I don't think that those people are world famous. You might also be unsurprised that British people on an English football forum are going to use parochial references. It's hardly worth commenting on, especially in such an aggressive way.

The inverted commas thing is an annoying ad hominem that I felt was beneath your argument and I mentioned it because, although I didn't agree with what you were saying, I have respect for the way you are arguing it. The "comedian" or "musician" thing is a cheap shot that doesn't stand up. To me it smacks of pulling rank. It says 'You might call yourself a comedian, but I'll be the judge of that', when in reality your judgement doesn't matter at all. Nobody finds all comedians funny and nobody likes all music. Those who get to write it on their passport have enough people willing to pay them to do it, so that they don't have to do another job and I respect them for that whether I like their art or not. Whatever any one individual may think of them, doesn't change that reality.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Exactly. Mocking people like George Clooney and Leonardo Dicaprio because they date people much younger than themselves is very different to mocking someone's health issues. I've seen most of Ricky Gervais's ceremony gigs and don't remember the celeb jokes being against someone's health like that (maybe someone with a better memory can quote some).

And comparing a woman's hair loss with a man's hair loss is obtuse.

That's not to say I condone what Will did, it was a stupid reaction.

The very same show they made fun of another celebrities alopecia. So mocking balding people had already been done that same night.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was clearly a slap, not a punch.

Yeah, I think that's what threw me last night - the hit and reaction was a slap, but my mind was expecting a punch and it didn't match up in my tired brain.

I'm generally in the 'they're both wrong' camp, but I struggle with Chris Rock even making the joke.He wrote produced and hosted this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazokEvX63I

He should have been fully aware of the sensitivities around black women's hair, even before factoring any health issues.

Still don't think it justified Smith slapping him and claiming love made him do it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I didn't find it funny, it was lame, but I also feel that "cruel" is a big exaggeration. I do understand why Smith took exception to it but what I really can't accept is that he punched the comedian for saying it. That is a terrible way to deal with the problem.

And that is the correct response in a nutshell. Amazing how wise sages of NSC take it off in all other directions. And the ridiculous line of how violence is justified if someone verbally insults your wife. Of course we'd all be annoyed but where could violence take you. The other person gives you a pasting and your wife berates you for going all Knight in shining armour. You are prosected and get a criminal record for assault. Even worse your one punch ends in death as they land badly and suffer a traumatic brain injury. It's then jail time as you couldn't walk away.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And that is the correct response in a nutshell. Amazing how wise sages of NSC take it off in all other directions. And the ridiculous line of how violence is justified if someone verbally insults your wife. Of course we'd all be annoyed but where could violence take you. The other person gives you a pasting and your wife berates you for going all Knight in shining armour. You are prosected and get a criminal record for assault. Even worse your one punch ends in death as they land badly and suffer a traumatic brain injury. It's then jail time as you couldn't walk away.

Have seen so many fights started by women bickering or starting shit up where it ends up with some stupid bloke stepping in and getting involved only to get the shit kicked out of him because of her actions and his being a simp to her dumb shit. Such a common thing when you work in industries where night life is involved.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You may be unsurprised to know that I don't think that those people are world famous. You might also be unsurprised that British people on an English football forum are going to use parochial references. It's hardly worth commenting on, especially in such an aggressive way.

The inverted commas thing is an annoying ad hominem that I felt was beneath your argument and I mentioned it because, although I didn't agree with what you were saying, I have respect for the way you are arguing it. The "comedian" or "musician" thing is a cheap shot that doesn't stand up. To me it smacks of pulling rank. It says 'You might call yourself a comedian, but I'll be the judge of that', when in reality your judgement doesn't matter at all. Nobody finds all comedians funny and nobody likes all music. Those who get to write it on their passport have enough people willing to pay them to do it, so that they don't have to do another job and I respect them for that whether I like their art or not. Whatever any one individual may think of them, doesn't change that reality.

Fair enough, I agree it is a cheap shot, though I struggle to see how I could be accused of "pulling rank" (if I understand the definitions of the expression correctly) on someone who hosted the Academy Awards just hours ago...

Dont share your thing about respecting people just for being successful but that might be a cultural thing (Law of Jante vs a tradition of strong hierarchy) but each to their own.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Have seen so many fights started by women bickering or starting shit up where it ends up with some stupid bloke stepping in and getting involved only to get the shit kicked out of him because of her actions and his being a simp to her dumb shit. Such a common thing when you work in industries where night life is involved.

And you wonder why [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] suggested you were giving off incel vibes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

If I was a woman verabally harrassed by some man and my husband was just standing there, listening and clenching his fist in his pocket, I'd think twice if it was worth keeping him... There is also different degrees of violence. I think the slap was fully justified; it is a stern, symbolic gesture that will cause no damage. If Will had punched him on the nose and then stomped him on the head a dozen times, it would be a different story.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And you wonder why [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] suggested you were giving off incel vibes.

The only thing I wonder is do you still live with your mum and never go out?

Who the hell hasn't seen women starting shit and then stupid men ending up the ones in hospital because of it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was thinking only yesterday that the news today would be dominated by chronically dull coverage of the mutual backslapping at the Oscar award ceremony.

I didn't realise the slapping wouldn't be on the back [emoji38]ol:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Another female celebrity's alopecia? Or are you being obtuse?

Leave off with the it's different crap.

Given men commit suicide at a far higher rate than women due to mental health which encompasses terrible self esteem much of which is based on their looks etc to say it impacts women differently is a load of crap.

The only difference is men are supposed to hide their true feelings about it and they do tend to end up learning to live with it and joke about it.

Which given what she's said in interviews so has JPS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here