Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Academy Awards

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
These people are taken the piss out of at most events, he should have been kicked out after choosing to do what he did - that should have been the end of it.

Have a word with him afterwards, he’s actually made it worse - more people will see the comments and it won’t be forgotten.

Good Job Jessie Plemons knew how to react and didn’t slap Amy Schumer after making a joke about his wife earlier in the evening.

Yeeaah... I give it two weeks and it will barely be mentioned anywhere again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Leave off with the it's different crap.
I completely disagree with you.

Given men commit suicide at a far higher rate than women due to mental health which encompasses terrible self esteem much of which is based on their looks etc to say it impacts women differently is a load of crap.
Linking baldness in men and women to different rates of suicide for the many other reasons that people take their lives is preposterous.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I completely disagree with you.

Linking baldness in men and women to different rates of suicide for the many other reasons that people take their lives is preposterous.

Did you not read? It's linked to self esteem which plays a huge part in peoples mental health.

What's preposterous is stating that you know how all men feel about the issue. That its worse for one group than the other is ridiculous.

Who do you think has had a worse time in life dealing with alopecia, Matt Lucas or JPS?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Did you not read? It's linked to self esteem which plays a huge part in peoples mental health.

What's preposterous is stating that you know how all men feel about the issue. That its worse for one group than the other is ridiculous.

Who do you think has had a worse time in life dealing with alopecia, Matt Lucas or JPS?

Found the bald guy...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Chris Rock made a bad joke in poor taste.
2. Will Smith made a bad call by using violence.
3. Will Smith made another bad call by shouting repeated profanities at Chris Rock.
4. Everyone loses in this situation.
5. I hate the Oscars - it is the very worst of America encapsulated in one night.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The joke wasn't that funny tbf. But it wasn't cruel imho and did not reference alopecia. His wife looks lean and muscular with short hair (not Duncan Goodhew like) and would indeed be a good fit for GI Jane 2, therefore not offensive. Will Smith's reaction was embarassing, particularly the shouty aftermath (oh dear) and in retrospect was probably also linked to the previous joke about his wife, by Rock, in 2016. Anyone promoting violence to a comedian who is obviously making a joke and not being serious (however unfunny it is) is an idiot. Anyone whose response to verbals is violence is immature and ego related, only physical violence (or threat of) can justify a physical response. All imho.

edit - I used to quite like Will Smith on tv and in movies but much less so in recent times due to some shit movies and pompous, weird-out press interviews. He seems a bit of a bell end. As for Rock, never found him funny tbh.

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If I was a woman verabally harrassed by some man and my husband was just standing there, listening and clenching his fist in his pocket, I'd think twice if it was worth keeping him... There is also different degrees of violence. I think the slap was fully justified; it is a stern, symbolic gesture that will cause no damage. If Will had punched him on the nose and then stomped him on the head a dozen times, it would be a different story.

So slight slapping is fine. When my wife fails to get my tea on the table by 6 tonight I'll give her a slap, sorry stern symbolic gesture and if she objects I'll show her your post. Utterly ridiculous!:ffsparr:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
1. Chris Rock made a bad joke in poor taste.
2. Will Smith made a bad call by using violence.
3. Will Smith made another bad call by shouting repeated profanities at Chris Rock.
4. Everyone loses in this situation.
5. I hate the Oscars - it is the very worst of America encapsulated in one night.

Yep, bad form all round, and there was no need to use physical violence, whatsoever - just made a bad situation worse.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So slight slapping is fine. When my wife fails to get my tea on the table by 6 tonight I'll give her a slap, sorry stern symbolic gesture and if she objects I'll show her your post. Utterly ridiculous!:ffsparr:

Nah. Slapping women is never fine.

And make your own ****ing tea.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're telling me that self esteem is linked to suicide? Jesus, you should probably write a paper about it.

What's preposterous is stating that you know how all men feel about the issue.
I didn't say I know how every single man feels about it. I said I know a lot men who are going bald, and I stated that non of them appear to have serious issues about it. It's very common for men to go bald, and while we'd prefer not to, we don't particularly stand out if we do, and we're among many who go bald. Conversely, it's rare for a woman to go bald and is huge issue for them.

That its worse for one group than the other is ridiculous.
You're the only person I've seen trying to link the two groups as if they're the same.

I don't claim to know how those individuals deal with it. I imagine that it's been worse for Matt than it has been for most men who go bald later in life.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Two predictions:

Chris Rock will play some part in next year's ceremony (host, presenter, introducing a performance etc) and will come on stage with comedy bodyguards.

and/or

Chris Rock and Will Smith will co-present an award next year with awkward patter (and criticisms for forcing a show of unity and references to victims of domestic abuse pretending everything is ok to placate the abuser).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Two predictions:

Chris Rock will play some part in next year's ceremony (host, presenter, introducing a performance etc) and will come on stage with comedy bodyguards.

and/or

Chris Rock and Will Smith will co-present an award next year with awkward patter (and criticisms for forcing a show of unity and references to victims of domestic abuse pretending everything is ok to placate the abuser).

I defo see Chris and Will doing something together... a skit or something. Both of them probably has more than enough charisma to escape awkwardness.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
If I was a woman verabally harrassed by some man and my husband was just standing there, listening and clenching his fist in his pocket, I'd think twice if it was worth keeping him... There is also different degrees of violence. I think the slap was fully justified; it is a stern, symbolic gesture that will cause no damage. If Will had punched him on the nose and then stomped him on the head a dozen times, it would be a different story.

If I was a woman being verbally harassed, I'd feel quite proud that my husband was able to keep control of his base instincts, and not treat me like the 'little woman' in need of protection from an (admittedly) ill-chosen joke.
In fact, I'd like to think that as said woman, I'd be capable of defending myself to such a thing, and shame Chris Rock into making an apology, rather then rely on my husband to do it on my behalf, in a physical manner.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If I was a woman being verbally harassed, I'd feel quite proud that my husband was able to keep control of his base instincts, and not treat me like the 'little woman' in need of protection from an (admittedly) ill-chosen joke.
In fact, I'd like to think that as said woman, I'd be capable of defending myself to such a thing, and shame Chris Rock into making an apology, rather then rely on my husband to do it on my behalf, in a physical manner.

Not unreasonable. My take wasnt unreasonable either, I think...

I'm leaning towards the theory that different women have different personalities and opinions.

SAC

May 21, 2014
So you think it's ok to just sit there and suck it up while some jackass takes a cheap shot at the mother of your kids?

Said it further up the thread, for me it was a Zidane World Cup moment or a Cantona Selhurst moment, and my admiration for Will Smith has gone through the roof as a result

All three of these instances are wrong but only two were punished
Zidane got a red card, possibly costing him and France a World Cup, a fine and a ban
Cantona got a long ban and community service.
Smith seems to have got away with it.

If you go around assaulting people, there should be consequences.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Not unreasonable. My take wasnt unreasonable either, I think...

I'm leaning towards the theory that different women have different personalities and opinions.

I'm sure they do, but WS's wife is hardly a shrinking violet and is surely more than capable of voicing a few scathing words in CR's direction.
Would you really want your husband to act violently, on your behalf, in response to a poor joke?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm sure they do, but WS's wife is hardly a shrinking violet and is surely more than capable of voicing a few scathing words in CR's direction.
Would you really want your husband to act violently, on your behalf, in response to a poor joke?

I dont know her :shrug:

Would I really want that... hmm. It depends on who I was. If I was the kind of woman who wants that, then yes. If I was the kind of woman who doesnt want that, then no. [If I felt really bad about the subject of the "poor joke" - lets say I've spent a lot of days crying about this condition, maybe was even suffering from depression because of it, requiring therapy etc., then yes I might find it quite romantic and chivalrous if he fought for me. But again... depends on the personality and preferences of the woman; I dont know Jada so I dont know how she feels about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here