Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Academy Awards

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
But he didn't mock her medical condition, he joked that she looks like GI Jane (lean, muscular, buzz cut). Which she does. And not a derogatory comparison.

You are an idiot, of course it was mocking her appearance (seeing as her lean, muscular, buzz cut was due to a medical condition and NOT due to her playing a film role).

Unlike some of the dickheads on here I would have done the same if my Wife had been ridiculed in front of millions of people for being ill...

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
You are an idiot, of course it was mocking her appearance (seeing as her lean, muscular, buzz cut being was due to a medical condition and NOT due to her playing a film role).

Unlike some of the dickheads on here I would have done the same if my Wife had been ridiculed in front of millions of people for being ill...

Blimey, take a Chill Pill man. You disagree, well done.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Or maybe, just maybe, as the ceremony has completely lost all relevance and most importantly it's audience, the whole escapade was staged from the start.

Everything about it looked staged.

Although, if it was genuinely real, then maybe it does show that Will Smith is a good actor afterall. :shrug:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
You are an idiot, of course it was mocking her appearance (seeing as her lean, muscular, buzz cut was due to a medical condition and NOT due to her playing a film role).

You've obviously not seen much of Jada have you? Prior to any health condition she has always had that lean athletic look.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Or maybe, just maybe, as the ceremony has completely lost all relevance and most importantly it's audience, the whole escapade was staged from the start.

I dont know... While possible, I feel that it would cause a lot of legal issues regarding the fighting and swearing and broadcasting of that internationally if it was planned by whoever is in charge by this crap.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
My 'stance' is that people should not be mocked for their (clearly apparent) medical issues and I wouldn't put up with any shit from those that did it to my Wife either.

Which is your choice, but I wouldn't call you a dickhead for feeling that way - that's all I'm saying.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

What if the person mocking your wife was an angry Mike Tyson. Would you still have the courage to have a go or maybe find a different solution to your problem

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Several people have already made that point on this thread and I've already said I took the point when Swansman made it.

I didn't find it funny, it was lame, but I also feel that "cruel" is a big exaggeration. I do understand why Smith took exception to it but what I really can't accept is that he punched the comedian for saying it. That is a terrible way to deal with the problem.

WS will know at this point that absolutely the best reaction would have been for them both to just walk out. CR would have looked and felt a proper prick, when the Best Actor award was announced, and the big night had a WS shaped hole in it, thanks to him.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
What if the person mocking your wife was an angry Mike Tyson. Would you still have the courage to have a go or maybe find a different solution to your problem

Yes, that's a good question but going back to my Rugby Playing Years you never thought how big they were so under the circumstances would certainly give him a go.

There is a certain 1930's appeasement feel to some of the answers on this thread...

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Yes, that's a good question but going back to my Rugby Playing Years you never thought how big they were so under the circumstances would certainly give him a go.

There is a certain 1930's appeasement feel to some of the answers on this thread...

No, some of the answers are just disagreeing that your way is necessarily the right way - certainly not nowadays, anyway.
And I still don't think you're a dickhead. :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

No-one is a dickhead for believing Smith was a tool for slapping a comedian, and you going all purple-faced about it doesn't change that fact.

Dec 29, 2011
Could any of you defending Chris Rock saying his joke was perfectly normal mention a previous example where a "comedian" made fun of a specific persons illness at the Academy Awards?

I realise that in here there is a lot of fat bald toothless men who cant see the harm in the joke but for a woman suffering from alopecia it can cause severe mental distress.

About 1 in 3 posts on this forum are now your gibberish. If you're still planning on visiting Portslade, why not have a rethink of that idea? We've already got enough ****ing idiots in this country, we don't need one more.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
When I was about five, I was taught “sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”

Smith should count himself very lucky not to be arrested and both men need to grow up, apologise to each other, the organisers and most of all, the Award winners who had the limelight stolen.

Awards organisers should also reconsider what the Host is there to do. Once upon a time Hosts ensured everyone had a good time rather than mock or insult guests. About time went back to being about the winners not the ‘comedic’ presenter trying to get ever risqué like Gervais, Rock etc and make the evening about them.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
So having skimmed this thread the only thing I'm sure about is Tyron Biggings is going bald and he's very sensitive about it

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
My 'stance' is that people should not be mocked for their (clearly apparent) medical issues and I wouldn't put up with any shit from those that did it to my Wife either.

Which is fine, however if by not putting up with you mean you’d also physically attack someone for making a poor joke then you’re in the wrong. If you mean make a complaint, ask for an apology etc then I 100% agree.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
No-one is a dickhead for believing Smith was a tool for slapping a comedian, and you going all purple-faced about it doesn't change that fact.

You insult my Wife in front of me and don't think I am not going to deck you?

I wouldn't be purple faced, I would calmly step forward and do it and then walk away. :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You insult my Wife in front of me and don't think I am not going to deck you?

I wouldn't be purple faced, I would calmly step forward and do it and then walk away. :thumbsup:
I wouldn't needlessly insult your wife in the first place because I'm not an unfunny comedian. On the other hand, if you did that to somebody else who did insult your wife I wouldn't be lying for you to cover your arse when the police got involved on charges of ABH. I'd think you were a moron who is getting what he deserves. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here