Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Academy Awards

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
While I totally get how Will Smith felt last night, he should have let Jada Pinkett Smith walk up on stage and slap Chris Rock if that's what she wanted to do. Real danger of reinforcing the whole alpha-male defends poor weak woman image there. Hindsight's a wonderful thing though.

Hopefully it herald then end of the weak humour perpetuated by MCs like Ricky Gervais when they just take pot shots at people in order to gain laughs.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just watched the whole thing through.

It’s just all weird, he makes the joke - Will is laughing, looks over and sees his wife frowning and he walks on stage to slap rock.

He should have been kicked out as anyone who isn’t a celeb would be.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

It’s just all weird, he makes the joke - Will is laughing, looks over and sees his wife frowning and he walks on stage to slap rock.

All I could think of at the time was it's like Will was Richard Bucket and JPS was Hyacinth.

Richard is laughing at something then he turns to see Hyacinths face and all of a sudden he's marching off to embarrass himself to keep her happy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Clearly Will Smith was caught in an existential crisis from a standing start. How to react? Took him a couple of seconds to process. Then he did the right thing

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Clearly Will Smith was caught in an existential crisis from a standing start. How to react? Took him a couple of seconds to process. Then he did the right thing

So it’s now acceptable to walk on stage and slap someone?

I think Rock has handled it well, not pressing charges and laughing it off.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Fair enough, I agree it is a cheap shot, though I struggle to see how I could be accused of "pulling rank" (if I understand the definitions of the expression correctly) on someone who hosted the Academy Awards just hours ago...

Dont share your thing about respecting people just for being successful but that might be a cultural thing (Law of Jante vs a tradition of strong hierarchy) but each to their own.

Not respect for success, respect for artistic endeavour. There are songs and artists, TV programmes and films that I'd consider to be utter rubbish, but that I have heard or read others saying have moved them, got them through difficult times or even saved them. Whatever my personal judgement of the art, I can't diminish their responses and I have respect for the ability to do that for other people.

If you can get it in Sweden, I'd recommend listening to some of the BBC Radio 4 series 'Soul Music': https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008mj7p/episodes/player?page=3. It was the programme on what I'd consider to be Toto's crappy old song 'Africa' (incidentally one of my wife's favourite songs) that made me realise that all art, whether I appreciate it or not, is worthy of respect as it fills the lives of the people who are affected by it with things that everyday reality cannot provide.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So it’s now acceptable to walk on stage and slap someone?

I think Rock has handled it well, not pressing charges and laughing it off.

So you think it's ok to just sit there and suck it up while some jackass takes a cheap shot at the mother of your kids?

Said it further up the thread, for me it was a Zidane World Cup moment or a Cantona Selhurst moment, and my admiration for Will Smith has gone through the roof as a result

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So you think it's ok to just sit there and suck it up while some jackass takes a cheap shot at the mother of your kids?

Said it further up the thread, for me it was a Zidane World Cup moment or a Cantona Selhurst moment, and my admiration for Will Smith has gone through the roof as a result

As you dont seem to be interested in joining my Graham Potter Cult, may I interest you in my Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Religion?

My 15 year old self spoke at some length about it here (episode 10):

http://www.jazzyjefffreshprince.com/will-smith-podcast/

"We talk to an insane Will Smith fan from Sweden who wants to start his own Will Smith Religion. We take no responsibility
for the views expressed by this raving lunatic. Our normal Will Smith podcast will be back next episode. "

I think we have room for one more in The Temple.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The flip side is - Eric Dier went into the crowd to try and get someone who had been abusing him and his family after a match and got a 4 match ban and £40k fine!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

The mother of his kids banged one of his kids best friends.

Something the shows hosts had already alluded to in a joke they made.

So it wasn't the joke about the mother of his kids being a bit of a ho bag that got him swinging, its was the hair joke that got him riled up.

Most guys would be more offended by someone insinuating that your wife sleeps around than by her short hair cut. Not Will boy!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

These people are taken the piss out of at most events, he should have been kicked out after choosing to do what he did - that should have been the end of it.

Have a word with him afterwards, he’s actually made it worse - more people will see the comments and it won’t be forgotten.

Good Job Jessie Plemons knew how to react and didn’t slap Amy Schumer after making a joke about his wife earlier in the evening.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I seriously can't decide which is worse: your GP fetish or your FP fetish :nono:

Well we all have our journey... I went from "...insane Will Smith fan from Sweden who wants to start his own Will Smith Religion" to Hunter S. Thompson over to Ted Kaczynski and then the natural step to Graham Potter. Development. I bet you have a line of old heroes as well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well we all have our journey... I went from "...insane Will Smith fan from Sweden who wants to start his own Will Smith Religion" to Hunter S. Thompson over to Ted Kaczynski and then the natural step to Graham Potter. Development. I bet you have a line of old heroes as well.

Only Hunter S Thompson, Mark E Smith and Keith Haring. Oh, and Jimmy Bone of Partick Thistle FC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here