Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Academy Awards

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Nah, what is spoiled is when a healthy person makes jokes on behalf of a sick person, because you are kicking downwards which is what spoiled people do. You are right I would accept someone beating a comedian making a joke directed at a specific person suffering from a disease. In your world it might be perfectly fine to make some "why dont you give the girl some of your food?" to a fat guy with a daughter suffering from anorexia, or doing the "remember Alzheimers day" joke to someone diagnosed with it, or if someone has AIDS you could of course make a joke "didnt you make a song about AIDS? Its really catchy...". Of course you can think that is fair and okay. In my world - and apparently in Wills as well - you are allowd to beat the shit out of the person making any of those jokes.

You don't understand comedy at all.

Maybe it's a Swedish thing?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nah, what is spoiled is when a healthy person makes jokes on behalf of a sick person, because you are kicking downwards which is what spoiled people do. You are right I would accept someone beating a comedian making a joke directed at a specific person suffering from a disease. In your world it might be perfectly fine to make some "why dont you give the girl some of your food?" to a fat guy with a daughter suffering from anorexia, or doing the "remember Alzheimers day" joke to someone diagnosed with it, or if someone has AIDS you could of course make a joke "didnt you make a song about AIDS? Its really catchy...". Of course you can think that is fair and okay. In my world - and apparently in Wills as well - you are allowd to beat the shit out of the person making any of those jokes.

I think this is the crux of why I disagree with you. I hate comedians kicking downwards too, but that definition of kicking downwards is difficult to define.

In this case, if she was so mentally affected by her alopecia, why wasn't she covering it up with a wig or a hat? Or if that made her so self-conscious, simply not in attendance? Loads of women have short hair - it doesn't raise eyebrows. In all honestly, there is absolutely nothing there for the comedian to think he was overstepping the mark with a feeble, unfunny joke about her being in the next GI Jane.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Will Smith has gone up in my estimation. That right hook had to hurt. The 'comedian' was terrible.

Protect your family at all costs. He had every right to defend his wife.

Must missed the bit where Chris rock threatened Smiths wife so he had to defend her by slapping Rock.

People I feel for are the other winners, does anyone even know them after Smiths stupidity and Rock’s crassness?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Could any of you defending Chris Rock saying his joke was perfectly normal mention a previous example where a "comedian" made fun of a specific persons illness at the Academy Awards?

I realise that in here there is a lot of fat bald toothless men who cant see the harm in the joke but for a woman suffering from alopecia it can cause severe mental distress.

Seth MacFarlane mad a joke about Harvey Weinstein victims when presenting an award for an actress category.

He also said a 9 year old girl nominated for an award was 16 years away from being too old for George Clooney.

Now compare that to a joke about someone who looks like they have short hair like GI Jane and which joke sounds the tamest?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think we are suffering from the need to be in 'team' A or B. To blame one and absolve the other for what happened.

Surely, neither come out of this looking great? Possibly with some time for reflection, Both will wonder if they should have behaved differently. Further reflection may also suggest that this incident means very very little in the great scheme of everything.

A bloke made a joke about someone and her illness, it wasn't that bad but she felt embarrassed in front of millions of people. Her husband didn't like that and slapped him. A slap that wasn't that bad and embarrassing for both of them. Then he swore a bit. All over in the blink of an eye but doomed to be discussed ad nauseum on social media for the next few days.

An amusing distraction for an evening. Neither the end of the world nor the heralding of a new era where comedians are going to get attacked for telling a joke people don't like.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bit wet to give a b tch slap rather than a punch.

Looks fully fake to me

If its not then Smith come across as a right bell end

Easily offended Campaign police will be mobilizing as we speak

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Not really sure why so many people including professional comedians are siding with Will Smith. It was unacceptable behaviour from someone who might possibly be going through some sh*t mentally to do that in that situation.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think we are suffering from the need to be in 'team' A or B. To blame one and absolve the other for what happened.

Surely, neither come out of this looking great?

Yeah. This.

The joke was in poor taste.
The reaction to it was over the top.

Couple of days and it'll be cycled out for the next outrage.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What is the most famous comical character from England?

Mr Bean.

Its not me, its you.

Jesus is that true?

. . . and the most famous Swedish comical character?

giphy.gif

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think this is the crux of why I disagree with you. I hate comedians kicking downwards too, but that definition of kicking downwards is difficult to define.

In this case, if she was so mentally affected by her alopecia, why wasn't she covering it up with a wig or a hat? Or if that made her so self-conscious, simply not in attendance? Loads of women have short hair - it doesn't raise eyebrows. In all honestly, there is absolutely nothing there for the comedian to think he was overstepping the mark with a feeble, unfunny joke about her being in the next GI Jane.

Because it might not have a positive mental effect? If I had some disorder affecting my physical appearence and it was causing me psychological problems, I'd definitely not do some very obvious cover-up.

Lets pretend you are a bit vain and worry about what people say about your physical appearence. You are going bald, you've even mentioned that it feels a bit shit. The next day you turn up in a wig. Would you worry less about what people say about you?

The "simply not in attendance" is not necessarily great either, starting to hide from people is not a great development. And you shouldnt need to, because you shouldnt need to worry about people making fun of your illness, since empathic people dont do that.

Yes, loads of women have short hair because they choose to. It doesnt mean you should make fun out of someone suffering from alopecia. Lots of women are thin, because they choose to. It doesnt mean you should make fun out of someone suffering from anorexia. And so on.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Could any of you defending Chris Rock saying his joke was perfectly normal mention a previous example where a "comedian" made fun of a specific persons illness at the Academy Awards?

I realise that in here there is a lot of fat bald toothless men who cant see the harm in the joke but for a woman suffering from alopecia it can cause severe mental distress.

I'm not defending the joke. As with all comedy, that is a matter for whoever wrote it and whoever delivered it I am simply saying that the reaction to the joke was unacceptable. By all means respond. Don't respond with violence.

Your analogies in your other post choose examples of violence that you would be happy to defend, but if the principle that you can respond to jokes with violence is accepted, then everybody will have their own red lines. For you, this may be jokes about somebody's family illness, for others it could easily be a slight on their religious beliefs. Its obvious a completely different scale, but boiled down, its the same argument at the base of the Satanic Verses or Danish cartoons controversies. i.e. You offended me with words, therefore I was justified in responding with violence. The only civilised response to this is 'No you weren't', regardless of how much you might want to cheer on someone standing up for his family.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't think he should have said but I don't think he should have got on stage in front of the viewing world and punched him over it.

At least Chris Roll didn't press charges.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not defending the joke. As with all comedy, that is a matter for whoever wrote it and whoever delivered it I am simply saying that the reaction to the joke was unacceptable. By all means respond. Don't respond with violence.

Your analogies in your other post choose examples of violence that you would be happy to defend, but if the principle that you can respond to jokes with violence is accepted, then everybody will have their own red lines. For you, this may be jokes about somebody's family illness, for others it could easily be a slight on their religious beliefs. Its obvious a completely different scale, but boiled down, its the same argument at the base of the Satanic Verses or Danish cartoons controversies. i.e. You offended me with words, therefore I was justified in responding with violence. The only civilised response to this is 'No you weren't', regardless of how much you might want to cheer on someone standing up for his family.

Yeah and everyone already have their red lines. Thats how it is. You can make any normal person really angry if you play the right strings.

Are you saying there should be no red line? Are you saying you'd be perfectly fine with Mel Gibson standing there doing Holocaust jokes in front of Hollywood where several people are descendents of Jews who may or may not have survived the Holocaust? Would it be perfectly fine if someone strolled in and threw some suicide jokes directed at Robin Williams wife and kids? Or indeed to make jokes about some particular persons illness?

Is it "civlised" to go slap any of those "comedians"? No, probably not. Is it right? Yes. Because if you make people furious when you make a joke on behalf of a vulnerable situation, there's consequences.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The 50-year-old actress, activist and Red Table Talk host, who suffers from autoimmune disorder alopecia (which attacks hair follicles resulting in bald spots and hair loss), shared a candid video showing off one of the bare scalp patches that she's simply embracing.

"Now at this point, I can only laugh," Pinkett Smith said as she ran her finger across a bald line patch along the center of her scalp.

Apparently not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s a shame Ricky Gervais doesn’t present the Oscars; I’d love to see him get a pasting off a few celebs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here