Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not just you, I would have thoroughly enjoyed the Chelsea game even without our by now customary late equaliser. And quite a few other games where we haven't won as well.

Me too….

A loss would have been disappointing, but I really enjoyed the performance….

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The opinion from a glass half full fan.

A glass half empty would retort with why 'very good'?

You appear to have missed out 'good' - ok, good, very good.
What's wrong with good?

Those lucky enough to be leaving Anfield and Stamford Bridge would have seen the performance of a team with a very good manager.

But some of us poor saps blocked off the 3 (?) months in between.

I most definitely didn't see a team and manager safely over the side of the line that separates ok with anything.

The part of the reason this thread is here is because we weren't very good.
Very good sides and managers don't repeatedly make the likes of Norwich and Newcastle look ok.

If course they do, happens all the time, Newcastle had ManUtd on the rack, Villa went on to win 4 in a row, Leicester get spanked at City, then beat Liverpool. I don’t define Brighton as very good and expect they’ll be no average results, my expectations have been exceeded with only 4 defeats so far. I just fear that you maybe looking for a level that doesn’t exist, for any team, as there is always more you can want. For what we have, we are a very good side. Outside of Brighton I doubt there are many that would disagree.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I may be talking out of turn, but I don't really think that any right minded Brighton fan really thinks that Potter is a "genius", in the same way I think it's only the Leeds United Twitteraty that believe Bielsa to be "The Messiah"...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I thought the Leeds game was a decent game of football where we simply failed to score. Wolves we came up against as defensive side I’ve seen, they’re league position tells you they are a good side. I guess I’m in this weird cult of enjoying a game of football regardless of the result. An oddball if you like.:D

I don’t know how you manage to do that for our games. I love to see a good performance (and have said so on here) but as a supporter the most important thing is the 3 points. How did you manage when we were shit every week for about 25 years ? I don’t remember many good performances apart from those title winning seasons in L1 and L2. Peterborough and Charlton away under Gus were pretty special but mostly it wasn’t really a feast of entertainment in those decades.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don’t know how you manage to do that for our games. I love to see a good performance (and have said so on here) but as a supporter the most important thing is the 3 points. How did you manage when we were shit every week for about 25 years ? I don’t remember many good performances apart from those title winning seasons in L1 and L2. Peterborough and Charlton away under Gus were pretty special but mostly it wasn’t really a feast of entertainment in those decades.

Exactly!!! Hence I’m amazed that a decent set of performances in the top tier are treated with such disdain. I’m delighted with top half at the halfway stage - exactly in reference to what you’ve said, how couldn’t you be!? :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If course they do, happens all the time, Newcastle had ManUtd on the rack, Villa went on to win 4 in a row, Leicester get spanked at City, then beat Liverpool. I don’t define Brighton as very good and expect they’ll be no average results, my expectations have been exceeded with only 4 defeats so far. I just fear that you maybe looking for a level that doesn’t exist, for any team, as there is always more you can want. For what we have, we are a very good side. Outside of Brighton I doubt there are many that would disagree.

But they are all one offs (kinda).

I'm saying to you very good managers don't routinely get their trousers pulled down by teams in trouble of relegation.
Nor do they have their entire playbook shot down in flames as soon as the opposition decide to block their way to a draw - or more likely 'play for the draw but capitalise on the mistake'.

Mr Potter is a good manager.
Hopefully Mr Potter will become very good.
Ideally with the Albion - never once voted out, unlikely to ever do so.

But I find it tough to proclaim him something close to genius when Everton, palace, Bumley and Villa are on the horizon.

The last two look like they may well be games when this thread is bounced again, only this time by the dark side.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Exactly!!! Hence I’m amazed that a decent set of performances in the top tier are treated with such disdain. I’m delighted with top half at the halfway stage - exactly in reference to what you’ve said, how couldn’t you be!? :shrug:

As am I. I never really understood the angst about all the draws. Last season’s losses were a lot more upsetting.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nowhere near as odd as the disciples from The Cult of Potter.

[MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION] nails it back a couple of pages.

Why after one superb team performance does he have to be a little short of genius?

Walking out of Villa Park I wasn't thinking 'you know what, genius in the making'.

If those that are so quick to hyperbole GPott reined it in a tiny bit, we can all laugh at the Juniors of this place.
Instead we get nonsense like that which then just feeds the likes of Junior and parts of the Scotchland wing, the next time the team plays as shite as they did v Southampton.

There's also the "Cult of Moaning" to which people like you and THPP belongs. Its a pleasure for you when Brighton are as shit as you are, deep inside - where you'd never been able to look because you'd have sorted your issues at this point by now - you dont want success for the club.

Potter amplifies this. White, middle aged, English man who is accomplishing something. It must be truly infuriating. So similar to you, yet so very different.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
There's also the "Cult of Moaning" to which people like you and THPP belongs. Its a pleasure for you when Brighton are as shit as you are, deep inside - where you'd never been able to look because you'd have sorted your issues at this point by now - you dont want success for the club.

Potter amplifies this. White, middle aged, English man who is accomplishing something. It must be truly infuriating. So similar to you, yet so very different.

Ouch!!! And a Happy New Year to you too...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ouch!!! And a Happy New Year to you too...

I have no idea why this poster constantly singles me out.

I have hundreds of unrequited 'quotes' from him.
He follows me around like some love struck tweenie.
Then throws me under the bus with THPP because I have to audacity to say:-

'calling Potter nearly a genius is a bit much'.

I didn't think that kind of shit was allowed under the new guidelines.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Turn it down Swanny, it's new year's for god's sake. No need to this personal attack.

The extremes of this discussion are getting out of hand. We all want the best for potter and Brighton and this decisive shit doesn't help anyone. Focus on the shit that binds us, not that that divides us.

Peace brothers and a happy new year to all. (It's late over here and I am a bit drunk).

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I have a lot of time for your posts, when you use your football knowledge to win the argument.

Neither Stat nor THPP want Brighton to be shit, Both are Brighton through and through.

Most football fans fall into two camps - Glass half empty and Glass Half full.
We either look to our club as something to moan about, or something to provide some hope.
It has relatively little to do with how well the manager is doing or whether we identify with him or not.

For some reason THPP has decided that Trolling and fishing are the way forward for him, more fool all of us for biting.
But Stat is not in the same category at all.

He makes his points well and relatively objectively.
The fact that you don't get his humour ( you aren't the only one) and take it at face value, reflects badly on you, not him.

In regards to Potter, I suspect if you asked him to rate himself, his response would be more in line with Stat's viewpoint than yours.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But they are all one offs (kinda).

I'm saying to you very good managers don't routinely get their trousers pulled down by teams in trouble of relegation.
Nor do they have their entire playbook shot down in flames as soon as the opposition decide to block their way to a draw - or more likely 'play for the draw but capitalise on the mistake'.

Mr Potter is a good manager.
Hopefully Mr Potter will become very good.
Ideally with the Albion - never once voted out, unlikely to ever do so.

But I find it tough to proclaim him something close to genius when Everton, palace, Bumley and Villa are on the horizon.

The last two look like they may well be games when this thread is bounced again, only this time by the dark side.

But we are relegation fodder! Our spending and budgets are relegation fodder. The fact you view other teams in this league as relegation fodder compared to us is already success. That you’re even contemplating that we’ve underperformed, which is what you’re saying, means you see us as a top 8 team. Huge credit to the manager in producing a team where that is possible.

I think there is an element of fear in admitting things are going well and to enjoy it, a bit like not telling a girlfriend you love her for the fear of rejection. Just let go of the reservations I say, don’t fear the worse when you can enjoy the better.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Ah I see the non-Brighton fan is back to lecture us actual Brighton fans how we should be supporting our club.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But we are relegation fodder! Our spending and budgets are relegation fodder. The fact you view other teams in this league as relegation fodder compared to us is already success. That you’re even contemplating that we’ve underperformed, which is what you’re saying, means you see us as a top 8 team. Huge credit to the manager in producing a team where that is possible.

I think there is an element of fear in admitting things are going well and to enjoy it, a bit like not telling a girlfriend you love her for the fear of rejection. Just let go of the reservations I say, don’t fear the worse when you can enjoy the better.

I don't think anyone thinks we are anything but overachieving this season as a whole but there is always a sense of frustration when we do underachieve in a game because people can see the potential that's there. We're a frustrating team because we are, in general, playing more adventurous football than under CH.

Of course, that gets boiled down to to binary extremes and people forget how good we actually were in some games in CH's first Prem season and others forget how dull it is to watch the ball being passed sideways between the back four whenever the oppo drops deep.

That this binary divide exists on NSC is largely down to the appearance on here of his obsessed Swedish stalker and there are people on here who go in harder on Potter than they really mean, precisely to wind up Swansman.

Altogether not much different to the Facebook baiting of the Iranian Jahanbaksh fans who were also only here for one person.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I have no idea why this poster constantly singles me out.

I have hundreds of unrequited 'quotes' from him.
He follows me around like some love struck tweenie.
Then throws me under the bus with THPP because I have to audacity to say:-

'calling Potter nearly a genius is a bit much'.

I didn't think that kind of shit was allowed under the new guidelines.

Yeah, didnt think endless shit stirring was allowed either but not stopping you is it. People are a bit happy with the team, the manager and the players and you'll be in every ****ing thread throwing around condescending comments "questioning" if people should really be happy, provoking these kinds of pie throwing competitions. Very tedious. Wins against Brentford and Chelsea, and how many threads have you posted "remember the Wolves game??" in now? Toxic reaction seeking stuff. I think we get it. Lose and it is shit because Brighton lost. Win and it is shit because Brighton lost in the past. I think people got the message with no need for you to scan the forum for opportunities to put some salt in delight.

I have a lot of time for your posts, when you use your football knowledge to win the argument.

Neither Stat nor THPP want Brighton to be shit, Both are Brighton through and through.

Most football fans fall into two camps - Glass half empty and Glass Half full.
We either look to our club as something to moan about, or something to provide some hope.
It has relatively little to do with how well the manager is doing or whether we identify with him or not.

For some reason THPP has decided that Trolling and fishing are the way forward for him, more fool all of us for biting.
But Stat is not in the same category at all.

He makes his points well and relatively objectively.
The fact that you don't get his humour ( you aren't the only one) and take it at face value, reflects badly on you, not him.

In regards to Potter, I suspect if you asked him to rate himself, his response would be more in line with Stat's viewpoint than yours.

One of them, maybe.

How do you justify that when the complaints are about not winning?

One of the mentioned individuals will sigh and watch reruns of Eastenders if Brighton go winning and the other one will be going "remember when we didnt win?" in the 100 threads filled with relief and happyness.

Turn it down Swanny, it's new year's for god's sake. No need to this personal attack.

The extremes of this discussion are getting out of hand. We all want the best for potter and Brighton and this decisive shit doesn't help anyone. Focus on the shit that binds us, not that that divides us.

Peace brothers and a happy new year to all. (It's late over here and I am a bit drunk).

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Fair enough, these replies will be the last on this subject.. this year.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here