Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If anyone that watched the Chelsea game can still find anything to complain about with Potter, there's no hope. I'll go the other way and say the guy is little short of a genius. Imagine what he might have done 30-40 years ago when the deck wasn't stacked so heavily in favour of the biggest clubs. In the same way that Clough transformed Derby and Forest, the sky would be the limit for Albion right now. He's turning some average, if promising, players into accomplished Premier League performers - no mean feat in itself - and seems to be able to get the best out of his squad for decent stretches of almost every match. Never mind Tuchel's whining, man for man, Albion should have lost that game by 3 goals. Instead, they played Chelsea off the park for long spells. Brilliant.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I love the way Potter swings from being a millstone to a genius.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I disagree with Junior, but Potter does sometimes make odd decisions and his drought of victories was a worry.

Last night was amazing. Next week we could be awful.

He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very promising boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let it go H. Brighton have been consistently good under Potter, rarely poor. Granted not always picked up results, but I don’t recall us being awful - unless playing well and missing a hatful of chances is ‘awful’ then you could be right. This isn’t just me on a forum, this is the likes of Guardiola, Klopp, even Tuchel last night saying Brighton don’t have any bad games. It’s amazing some of our own fans can’t see what’s he done and is doing.

Perhaps you just put your stake in the ground last season and it’s painful to move it? Seems a shame to always be trying to pick at negatives so you don’t feel you have to move it as far as you should be.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We have the 10th best premier league record this calendar year, above Villa, Wolves, Everton and that lot up the road.

Played 39 W12 D15 L12 F 38 A38 Pts 51

Only City, Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal have lost less games.

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/stats/premier-league-by-season/premier-league-2020-21/premier-league-table-2021/

[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] - record for the calendar year. Neutral goal difference. Only 12 defeats in 39 games. Honestly, where is this awful you talk about? What are you looking for to just let go of this stubborn view Potter might not be the real deal?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] - record for the calendar year. Neutral goal difference. Only 12 defeats in 39 games. Honestly, where is this awful you talk about? What are you looking for to just let go of this stubborn view Potter might not be the real deal?
Tbf, I absolutely love Potter, but some of the games this season have been a chore to sit through. Wolves, Leeds, Newcastle, Villa, Everton etc. There are also times where his subs have seemed to change the game in the oppositions favour, like Villa and Newcastle.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If anyone that watched the Chelsea game can still find anything to complain about with Potter, there's no hope. I'll go the other way and say the guy is little short of a genius. Imagine what he might have done 30-40 years ago when the deck wasn't stacked so heavily in favour of the biggest clubs. In the same way that Clough transformed Derby and Forest, the sky would be the limit for Albion right now. He's turning some average, if promising, players into accomplished Premier League performers - no mean feat in itself - and seems to be able to get the best out of his squad for decent stretches of almost every match. Never mind Tuchel's whining, man for man, Albion should have lost that game by 3 goals. Instead, they played Chelsea off the park for long spells. Brilliant.

Were you saying the same after Wolves and Leeds?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Could be the end for Potter how he hasn't been snatched from us is a mystery, if England could take penalties he would be nailed on for the next national boss:rolleyes:Bloody love the best football in the 50+years of watching the Albion, maybe the best we will ever play?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

All except the last bit!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I don't remember us playing that badly against Leeds ... We created clear cut chances and were really unlucky, hardly potter's fault. On another day that's a comfortable 2-0 win.

Wolves we were decimated by covid and injuries. Hardly potter's fault.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't remember us playing that badly against Leeds ... We created clear cut chances and were really unlucky, hardly potter's fault. On another day that's a comfortable 2-0 win.

Wolves we were decimated by covid and injuries. Hardly potter's fault.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

But NOBODY was writing he was 'little short of a genius'.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
but I don’t recall us being awful - unless playing well and missing a hatful of chances is ‘awful’
Good comment. Thing I hated most about watching us on TV last season was the endless negativity about us from twattish commentators. Totally missing the point about what Graham Potter was achieving with a bottom 6 budget.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tbf, I absolutely love Potter, but some of the games this season have been a chore to sit through. Wolves, Leeds, Newcastle, Villa, Everton etc. There are also times where his subs have seemed to change the game in the oppositions favour, like Villa and Newcastle.

Wolves: wasn't great, but never was going to be given all the absences. We were (slightly) the better side until they scored, but poor second half.
Leeds: I'm tempted to enquire whether you were one that booed on the final whistle. We battered them, and were good ... apart from in front of goal.
Newcastle: that was a mixed bag. We played OK for the first c55 minutes, but didn't show enough to kill them off, that came back to cost us (which it has gone on to do to several of our subsequent opponents).
Villa: we were unadventurous, granted, but Villa were extremely well organised, and made the most of a break which killed the game off.
Everton: they were full strength and right on it, and made us look poor. That happens sometimes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Let it go H. Brighton have been consistently good under Potter, rarely poor. Granted not always picked up results, but I don’t recall us being awful - unless playing well and missing a hatful of chances is ‘awful’ then you could be right. This isn’t just me on a forum, this is the likes of Guardiola, Klopp, even Tuchel last night saying Brighton don’t have any bad games. It’s amazing some of our own fans can’t see what’s he done and is doing.

Perhaps you just put your stake in the ground last season and it’s painful to move it? Seems a shame to always be trying to pick at negatives so you don’t feel you have to move it as far as you should be.

I said 'next week we could be awful'. I don't think we have been or will be - I we offering an olive branch to the catastrophizers.

Perhpaps that was unwise. ****em. I'm with [MENTION=12634]Return of the Rev[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
For me, the thing that has changed this season is the resilience of the side.
Last season we were down the bottom of the table for points lost from winning positions and not great for points gained from losing positions.
This season we have come back to win one game when being behind and drawn 5 more, including Chelsea and Liverpool (from 2 down).
And when going ahead we have only dropped points against one team, Newcastle.
Potter gets us playing good football, and we keep going for 90+ minutes every game. If we can just turn one or two more draws into wins, we are a top 8 side

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Actually finished the calendar year in 9th, with only 6 Premier League winners and West Ham and Tottenham above us, but yep, sack the manager and the board while you're at it!

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/stats/premier-league-by-season/premier-league-2020-21/premier-league-table-2021/

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I thought we created more clear cut chances at home to Newcastle & Leeds than we’ve scored recently. I enjoyed the Leeds game, okay we didn’t finish but thought we played well. Anyway, point is I’m not saying the manager is infallible, and he is reliant on players performing, but I’m 100% certain he is the real deal for this football club at present.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
For me, the thing that has changed this season is the resilience of the side.
Last season we were down the bottom of the table for points lost from winning positions and not great for points gained from losing positions.
This season we have come back to win one game when being behind and drawn 5 more, including Chelsea and Liverpool (from 2 down).
And when going ahead we have only dropped points against one team, Newcastle.
Potter gets us playing good football, and we keep going for 90+ minutes every game. If we can just turn one or two more draws into wins, we are a top 8 side

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

This! all over.

I can't be arsed to find it now, but during one of the countless " We need a striker" threads from last season, I made the following point:
What's the point of scoring more, when we consistently concede shortly after scoring and dropped the most points from winning positions in the league?

Many took this to be a dig at the defence (which it wasn't).
My point was that I thought Potter would focus on improving game management and mental strength rather than bitching on about striking options.

My guess is that he has done exactly that.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I thought the Leeds game was a decent game of football where we simply failed to score. Wolves we came up against as defensive side I’ve seen, they’re league position tells you they are a good side. I guess I’m in this weird cult of enjoying a game of football regardless of the result. An oddball if you like.:D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought the Leeds game was a decent game of football where we simply failed to score. Wolves we came up against as defensive side I’ve seen, they’re league position tells you they are a good side. I guess I’m in this weird cult of enjoying a game of football regardless of the result. An oddball if you like.:D

Nowhere near as odd as the disciples from The Cult of Potter.

[MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION] nails it back a couple of pages.

Why after one superb team performance does he have to be a little short of genius?

Walking out of Villa Park I wasn't thinking 'you know what, genius in the making'.

If those that are so quick to hyperbole GPott reined it in a tiny bit, we can all laugh at the Juniors of this place.
Instead we get nonsense like that which then just feeds the likes of Junior and parts of the Scotchland wing, the next time the team plays as shite as they did v Southampton.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nowhere near as odd as the disciples from The Cult of Potter.

[MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION] nails it back a couple of pages.

Why after one superb team performance does he have to be a little short of genius?

Walking out of Villa Park I wasn't thinking 'you know what, genius in the making'.

If those that are so quick to hyperbole GPott reined it in a tiny bit, we can all laugh at the Juniors of this place.
Instead we get nonsense like that which then just feeds the likes of Junior and parts of the Scotchland wing, the next time the team plays as shite as they did v Southampton.

Well, we’re never not going to have highs and lows in a top flight season, so I don’t think we’ll ever have a manager that doesn’t have sticky periods or results so Potter’s worth can’t be defined by a below par performance or a very good one, but overall on what we’re seeing. Other than the act of scoring plenty of goals, I’d say we’re safely over the side of the line that separates ok with very good. The comparison is what teams around can do, and I don’t see many outside the top 6 playing as well as we do - so as much as needing to reign it in, there’s certainly plenty of room for more people to be more excited about how good their team actually is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, we’re never not going to have highs and lows in a top flight season, so I don’t think we’ll ever have a manager that doesn’t have sticky periods or results so Potter’s worth can’t be defined by a below par performance or a very good one, but overall on what we’re seeing. Other than the act of scoring plenty of goals, I’d say we’re safely over the side of the line that separates ok with very good. The comparison is what teams around can do, and I don’t see many outside the top 6 playing as well as we do - so as much as needing to reign it in, there’s certainly plenty of room for more people to be more excited about how good their team actually is.

The opinion from a glass half full fan.

A glass half empty would retort with why 'very good'?

You appear to have missed out 'good' - ok, good, very good.
What's wrong with good?

Those lucky enough to be leaving Anfield and Stamford Bridge would have seen the performance of a team with a very good manager.

But some of us poor saps blocked off the 3 (?) months in between.

I most definitely didn't see a team and manager safely over the side of the line that separates ok with anything.

The part of the reason this thread is here is because we weren't very good.
Very good sides and managers don't repeatedly make the likes of Norwich and Newcastle look ok.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I guess I’m in this weird cult of enjoying a game of football regardless of the result. An oddball if you like.:D

Not just you, I would have thoroughly enjoyed the Chelsea game even without our by now customary late equaliser. And quite a few other games where we haven't won as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here