Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, didnt think endless shit stirring was allowed either but not stopping you is it. People are a bit happy with the team, the manager and the players and you'll be in every ****ing thread throwing around condescending comments "questioning" if people should really be happy, provoking these kinds of pie throwing competitions. Very tedious. Wins against Brentford and Chelsea, and how many threads have you posted "remember the Wolves game??" in now? Toxic reaction seeking stuff. I think we get it. Lose and it is shit because Brighton lost. Win and it is shit because Brighton lost in the past. I think people got the message with no need for you to scan the forum for opportunities to put some salt in delight.

One of them, maybe.

One of the mentioned individuals will sigh and watch reruns of Eastenders if Brighton go winning and the other one will be going "remember when we didnt win?" in the 100 threads filled with relief and happyness.

Fair enough, these replies will be the last on this subject.. this year.

To be fair to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] I think it is the equivalent of gallows humour, and his not wishing to tempt fate, but it doesn't come across all that clearly. This is why lots of people on NSC find him unfathomable. Other 'negative' posters, however, may be a different story.

On the whole, just enjoy it; the less said the better.

I suspect it may be time to put the Junior thread into the bear pit, now. There comes a point where things can descend into bullying (and I hold my hand up for posting at least one rude comment; perhaps his trolling will be a thing of the past, now).

Happy New Year, Swanny.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But we are relegation fodder! Our spending and budgets are relegation fodder. The fact you view other teams in this league as relegation fodder compared to us is already success. That you’re even contemplating that we’ve underperformed, which is what you’re saying, means you see us as a top 8 team. Huge credit to the manager in producing a team where that is possible.

I think there is an element of fear in admitting things are going well and to enjoy it, a bit like not telling a girlfriend you love her for the fear of rejection. Just let go of the reservations I say, don’t fear the worse when you can enjoy the better.

There's a lot in that.

There's a fair bit of frustration, with the team, with the manager and with the talent he has available to him.

It feels like 'this is it' and yet somehow they collectively manage to under perform and over perform in all the wrong games. :lol:

(When allowed to) 'we' bemoan points left on the pitch, but no team in 'our' league could have lived with Wednesday nights performance.
Yet they can routinely take our points and have been able to do so for 4 and a half seasons.

Just don't tell me I'm watching a near genius when the games 0-0 with no shots on target.

I don't want the ' trophy' club, I just want Mr Bloom to nail it.

If he does I get my dream.
At some point in the future going to an away game, with Jnr, in Europe (don't care about the noddyness of the competition).
But as said, I'm not so sure that future exists for an Everton length of time.
So take the Liverpool/Chelsea away greatness forward, finish comfortably above palace this season and springboard into the next.

This week's Football Weekly discussed the big 3's games as a whole.
The overarching theme was 'whats the point in trying to challenge City'.

Troy Townsend was correctly very positive about us.
Another contributor, not Wilson, then said word to the effect of:-

'If they had a striker there's no reason why Brighton can't be the team who challenges them'.

I did chuckle - it's the hope that kills you.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry, why does he need to, exactly? Have I missed a memo somewhere?

The humerous and not-so-humerous relentless negativity from three posters is sufficient excuse for a robust response, if anyone cares to make one. It is allowed :shrug:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
It is a shame that the name calling between posters gets in the way of an interesting thread.
As has been said, we all want Brighton to do as well as we can. Even at 55 I still dream that one day I will watch my team win the league and cup double. But more realistically, I want my team to do well and be competitive in probably the hardest league in the world.
And I don't think it is an understatement to say that under Potter we have been competitive, given we have beaten Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham etc over the past few years
Is he a great manager yet? Not quite, because as some posters point out, he hasn't yet found an answers to the low block teams with his style of play (maybe buying DeBruyne may help)
Does he make odd selections and substitions? Sometimes.
Could Hebe Brighton's best ever manager, probably

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think anyone thinks we are anything but overachieving this season as a whole but there is always a sense of frustration when we do underachieve in a game because people can see the potential that's there. We're a frustrating team because we are, in general, playing more adventurous football than under CH.

Of course, that gets boiled down to to binary extremes and people forget how good we actually were in some games in CH's first Prem season and others forget how dull it is to watch the ball being passed sideways between the back four whenever the oppo drops deep.

That this binary divide exists on NSC is largely down to the appearance on here of his obsessed Swedish stalker and there are people on here who go in harder on Potter than they really mean, precisely to wind up Swansman.

Altogether not much different to the Facebook baiting of the Iranian Jahanbaksh fans who were also only here for one person.

You have reminded me of a line from one of my favourite ever tracks: 'whinging for perfection' :lolol: :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2P0NeW1JlU

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] how about making a New Year's Resolution to ease off on [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]?

I enjoy the contributions from you both.

He really isn't the vehemently anti-Bloom and anti-Potter person you may have in your mind's eye, going by your responses to everything he says. Just a typical football fan, emotionally responding to defeats or long non-winning runs. Posting with irony.

There are a few others who clearly can't stand Potter having the job, shirley they're your natural opponents?

Just a thought, said in good faith.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Just don't tell me I'm watching a near genius

Absolutely, there’s only ONE man who has ever been a genius at this club and that’s DEAN WILKINS.

I was watching some of his best bits on YouTube on Christmas Day (last player to score for the club at Wembley and an unforgettable SEVENTH) and those tanned legs had me frothing at the bunghole.

Mr Bhadebenhams was sitting in the armchair opposite and pointed out that I had forgotten to put my bloomers on. He said my whatnots looked like a freshly opened cheese toastie fresh from the Breville.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely, there’s only ONE man who has ever been a genius at this club and that’s DEAN WILKINS.

I was watching some of his best bits on YouTube on Christmas Day (last player to score for the club at Wembley and an unforgettable SEVENTH) and those tanned legs had me frothing at the bunghole.

Mr Bhadebenhams was sitting in the armchair opposite and pointed out that I had forgotten to put my bloomers on. He said my whatnots looked like a freshly opened cheese toastie fresh from the Breville.

I was just about to write the exact same thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is a shame that the name calling between posters gets in the way of an interesting thread.
As has been said, we all want Brighton to do as well as we can. Even at 55 I still dream that one day I will watch my team win the league and cup double. But more realistically, I want my team to do well and be competitive in probably the hardest league in the world.
And I don't think it is an understatement to say that under Potter we have been competitive, given we have beaten Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham etc over the past few years
Is he a great manager yet? Not quite, because as some posters point out, he hasn't yet found an answers to the low block teams with his style of play (maybe buying DeBruyne may help)
Does he make odd selections and substitions? Sometimes.
Could Hebe Brighton's best ever manager, probably

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Careful, throwing around those kinds of incendiary comments will see you on the recieving end of the wrath of Sweden.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Its the binary argument thats frustrating and not useful.
Potter isn't a "near genius" - he's certainly not demonstrated that with Albion's results and performances. Finishing 15th and 16th with 41 points - even with the talent available to him - is clearly not that.
On other hand - he's hardly underperforming given that he's a young English manager, with a bottom 8 budget and has demonstrated he can be successful - keeping Albion in the division with relative ease, playing attractive football with a young squad
And this season and this calendar year - so far at least - moving Albion closer to that elusive top ten finish.
But of course there are going to be the occasional games this season where the team will disappoint and frustrate (Everton (H) , Villa (A) for example) as well as delight (Liverpool (A), Chelsea (A)) and all the time there's still a concern that the results don't match the performances. (12 games without a win !) .
Sorry if thats too even handed for this thread !!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Potter isn't a "near genius" - he's certainly not demonstrated that with Albion's results and performances. Finishing 15th and 16th with 41 points - even with the talent available to him - is clearly not that.
On other hand - he's hardly underperforming given that he's a young English manager, with a bottom 8 budget and has demonstrated he can be successful - keeping Albion in the division with relative ease, playing attractive football with a young squad
And this season and this calendar year - so far at least - moving Albion closer to that elusive top ten finish.
But of course there are going to be the occasional games this season where the team will disappoint and frustrate (Everton (H) , Villa (A) for example) as well as delight (Liverpool (A), Chelsea (A)) and all the time there's still a concern that the results don't match the performances. (12 games without a win !) .

Reasoned and accurate, my thoughts exactly. Its been a slowly improving trajectory, If it continues 'on budget' for another year or two he will rightly become our most succesful manager in getting us a top 10 finish, maybe even europe.

The difficult thing for those of us who've been around a few centuries is The payola chess league is very different to 70's-90's before football was properly invented, we're used to wins, losses, and goals, regularly. So you can't really compare him with Mullery as the obvious example.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Nah, that's an excellent and reasoned post and about where I am. It's fair to say I wasn't at the end of 2020 so clearly Potter is improving just as much as his squad.

Apologies for going in hard on you the other day BTW and have a Happy New Year.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] how about making a New Year's Resolution to ease off on [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]?

I enjoy the contributions from you both.

He really isn't the vehemently anti-Bloom and anti-Potter person you may have in your mind's eye, going by your responses to everything he says. Just a typical football fan, emotionally responding to defeats or long non-winning runs. Posting with irony.

There are a few others who clearly can't stand Potter having the job, shirley they're your natural opponents?

Just a thought, said in good faith.

I can make a resolution to ignore him, so yes. Did it for a month and dont know why I stopped.

He'll be fine and so will I. We will both just have to accept that we will never get married and reproduce together. Sometimes its just like that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think he is a bit of a genius, or maybe a maverick, or maybe a bit of both. English football has been plagued by pragmatism at the highest level, Allerdyce, Dyche, Bruce, Hughes, Pardew, Pulis, Warnock, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, they don’t like it up ‘em. I’m not saying he’s a genius in a sense he can produce miracles, I mean in a sense he’s taken an okay team at this level and has them playing the sort of football played by the last few champions. Most look at Guardiola and think you can only do that with a Barca, Bayern or City, or Klopp at Liverpool, but Potter is doing it with a side of limited talent compared to those contemporaries. It hasn’t yielded hallowed ground, but he has yielded a Brighton side that attacks and looks to win every game it competes in. Of course it doesn’t always come off, and sometimes it doesn’t end well, but the flexibility of tactics, it’s progressive football not slave to traditional formations, but more fluid, a sense of transitions constantly through the team as a game unfolds.

He’s not unique of course, but it’s a very adventurous approach with a team typically eat marked to be in a relegation scrap. I really enjoy watching us play, the dynamics involved, I like everyone wish we scored a few more goals, but that seems to be be coming a bit more.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think he is a bit of a genius, or maybe a maverick, or maybe a bit of both. English football has been plagued by pragmatism at the highest level, Allerdyce, Dyche, Bruce, Hughes, Pardew, Pulis, Warnock, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, they don’t like it up ‘em. I’m not saying he’s a genius in a sense he can produce miracles, I mean in a sense he’s taken an okay team at this level and has them playing the sort of football played by the last few champions. Most look at Guardiola and think you can only do that with a Barca, Bayern or City, or Klopp at Liverpool, but Potter is doing it with a side of limited talent compared to those contemporaries. It hasn’t yielded hallowed ground, but he has yielded a Brighton side that attacks and looks to win every game it competes in. Of course it doesn’t always come off, and sometimes it doesn’t end well, but the flexibility of tactics, it’s progressive football not slave to traditional formations, but more fluid, a sense of transitions constantly through the team as a game unfolds.

He’s not unique of course, but it’s a very adventurous approach with a team typically eat marked to be in a relegation scrap. I really enjoy watching us play, the dynamics involved, I like everyone wish we scored a few more goals, but that seems to be be coming a bit more.

The three biggest compliments I have for Potter are:

1. He’s brave, in getting a team on our resources attempting to play the beautiful game. In a division where many opponents have an emphasis on pace, power and height.

2. He improves players with great man-management and coaching. That’s not a given, many other managers rely on spending. Doubt there’ll be many ex-players in GP’s career who’ll slag him off.

3. He learnt on the job to be tactically adaptable. I think rigidity was initially his biggest weakness. Personally I was relieved when he showed he was prepared to go more direct, to vary from the passing around the back.

It’ll be a rocky road and my like will still whinge to let off steam when we play shite. (Without wishing life away) 2022/23 should be even more interesting if TB manages to reinforce us up front.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I think he’s our best ever manager, but you knew that didn’t you? :smile:

I have never enjoyed the football we play as much as I do now. Poyet and CH and Mullery had us playing great football, but at a lower level

We are overachieving big time imo. Sort out beating strugglers who stick everyone behind the ball and the sky is the limit.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Spencer still eating humble pie

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
:bounce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here