Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Chant From Chesterfield

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Another Berkshire Seagull said:
Worst chant for some time.

Can't believe it caught on, although it did end up ringing around Saltergate (or should I say The Reccreation Ground, Saltergate)

Doubt Krispies started it I assumed it had to be started by someone who had only been to Spurs & West Ham such was is crapness.

Some crap ditty and then foolishly squeezing in "Brighton and Hove Albion" in where it doesn't fit doesn't make a good chant.

In fact if we replace the "Brighton and hove albion" with "Its the pikey song" it goes equally well and is more appropriate.

Come on lads lets make ourselves heard with real chants not crap ones that sound like we're all school children.

Whats the problem with that chant? It got the atmosphere going, was simple so lots of people joined in.

Better than some of the 'wacky' ditties that some groups from here dream up and nobody understands.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Another Berkshire Seagull said:
Worst chant for some time.

Can't believe it caught on, although it did end up ringing around Saltergate (or should I say The Reccreation Ground, Saltergate)

Doubt Krispies started it I assumed it had to be started by someone who had only been to Spurs & West Ham such was is crapness.

Some crap ditty and then foolishly squeezing in "Brighton and Hove Albion" in where it doesn't fit doesn't make a good chant.

In fact if we replace the "Brighton and hove albion" with "Its the pikey song" it goes equally well and is more appropriate.

Come on lads lets make ourselves heard with real chants not crap ones that sound like we're all school children.

someone who has only been to spurs and west ham you reckon decided to make the trip up to chesterfield on the back of 6 straight defeats....doubt it somehow. you're talking crap, it was a quality song....why dont you make up a 'real chant' then we can all sing your song tuesday night.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
it was a simple song where there were no words apart from Brighton & Hove Albion at the end of each rendition (probably the for to get out of the rain part)

it may not be the best but it got the whole crowd singing and getting behind the team, so i have no problem with it

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I can't wait for tuesday, if we can get say 3 or 400 of us in the stand behind the goal all singing then we could create quite an atmosphere. I don't expect there to be more than maybe 4,500 there, they will be dotted around the ground so it will probably be a bit muted, this is where we can really make the difference.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gully said:
I can't wait for tuesday, if we can get say 3 or 400 of us in the stand behind the goal all singing then we could create quite an atmosphere. I don't expect there to be more than maybe 4,500 there, they will be dotted around the ground so it will probably be a bit muted, this is where we can really make the difference.

I'm the same. I was a bit gutted I couldn't go yesterday.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Uncle C said:
So where do you get in the mention for BHA?

All the words were hummed except the 'for to get out the rain'which was sung as 'Brighton & Hove Albion'.

Well that's what I was singing and I thought it created a great atmosphere for the whole match

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The BEST Brighton song when everyone sings it is "We are Brighton, we are Brighton, super Brighton from the south"

When we get on it LARGE its sounds well QUALITY

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I was looking forward to the Bristol game the other week, gutted when it was called off because of the weather, it was windy and wet out here in the west but I didn't think it was that bad. I had managed to bag an early finish just to make sure I made it down there in time, I now have all week off as holiday, so no probs at all...only thing is that there is snow forecast here this week.

We should sing the original words, as written by Patrick S Gilmore, bandmaster of the Union Army during the American Civil War:-

When Johnny comes marching home again,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
We'll give him a hearty welcome then
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The men will cheer and the boys will shout
The ladies they will all turn out
And we'll all feel gay,
When Johnny comes marching home.

Lines 5-7 have a particular Albion resonance that opposing fans will appreciate.

:eek:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
How about trying to change the words to suit ourselves, something like:

When Brighton come marching home again,
hurrah, hurrah,
we'll cheer them at Falmer stadium then,
hurrah, hurrah,
the east will cheer and the west will shout
with sussex pride our hearts sing out,
and we'll all feel xxxxx
when Brighton come marching home.

I am struggling with the bit where the the x's are, could leave the word gay in as a sort of tongue in cheek gesture, but I did manage to get the word pride in.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Good effort gully.

Ive come up with this bit, albeit very quickly

With Sussex pride our hearts sing out
and we'll all want to scream and shout?
when Brighton come marching home

Edit: Reading that again it sounds well gay, or that could be the 'toung in cheek' gay referance you were talking about!

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Lord Bracknell said:
We should sing the original words, as written by Patrick S Gilmore, bandmaster of the Union Army during the American Civil War:-

When Johnny comes marching home again,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
We'll give him a hearty welcome then
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The men will cheer and the boys will shout
The ladies they will all turn out
And we'll all feel gay,
When Johnny comes marching home.

Lines 5-7 have a particular Albion resonance that opposing fans will appreciate.

:eek:

Or we could sing the original, original words.

While goin' the road to sweet Athy, hurroo, hurroo
While goin' the road to sweet Athy, hurroo, hurroo
While goin' the road to sweet Athy
A stick in me hand and a drop in me eye
A doleful damsel I heard cry,
Johnny I hardly knew ye.

With your drums and guns and drums and guns, hurroo, hurroo
With your drums and guns and drums and guns, hurroo, hurroo
With your drums and guns and drums and guns
The enemy nearly slew ye
Oh my darling dear, Ye look so queer
Johnny I hardly knew ye.

There's always Joe Strummer's version:-

When Johnny comes marching home again, hurrah, tala
He's coming by bus or underground, hurrah, tala
The woman's eye will shed a tear
To see his face so beaten in fear
It was just around the corner in the English Civil War

It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala
When that well known face got beaten to bits, hurrah, tala
Your face was blue in the light of the screen
As we watched the speech of an animal scream
The new party army is marching right over our heads

Alright

D

Deleted User X18H

If you lot want to sing go down the Karoke on the Palace Pier:lolol: :lolol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
hove born&bred said:
If you lot want to sing go down the Karoke on the Palace Pier:lolol: :lolol:

waxfrog.jpg

Karoke. :lolol:

butchy said:
someone who has only been to spurs and west ham you reckon decided to make the trip up to chesterfield on the back of 6 straight defeats....doubt it somehow. you're talking crap, it was a quality song....why dont you make up a 'real chant' then we can all sing your song tuesday night.

WE ARE BRIGHTON, WE ARE BRIGHTON, SUPER BRIGHTON FROM THE SAAAAAAAARRRRRFFFFFF!!!!!!

Can't argue with the atmos that the chant created, I just don't like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here