Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks Mark McGhee

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Are you telling me that coupled with the Virgo & Knight money he's had limited resources? do me a favour. He has had more money to spend than Adams, Coppel AND Taylor and that's one of the main reasons he has to go.

Everyone seems to forget the name "ZAMORA". Without that guy we would still be in league 3. So Coppell and Taylor were not really in the same situation as McGhee. I think if we had Zamora last season we would have been in a totally different situation now, no?

Saying that I think the way McGhee handled the last game and his comments were awfully underminding to the supporters who pay there hard earnt cash.

I think sacking McGhee will be a make or break thing, it could go horribly wrong getting rid of him, or "A N other" could be the start of something good? Wheres my crystal ball ??????????

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Good bye MM. Thanks for the memories.

"It was the best of times it was the worst of times"

Best:

Cardiff etc

Worst:

Not making a decent fist of staying in this division. We did not die with our boots on.

Last edited:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
O.k. maybe “forget” is not the right word. But certainly overlooking the huge amount of success that guy brought, not just to the fans but also the managers too.

Coppell has obviously gone on and proved himself, but then all the managers have gone onto bigger (at the moment) clubs.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Personally i would give him the chance until xmas in this division. if we are not in a relative strong and challenging position ,then i would say goodbye ..I think DK is right it is a kneejerk reaction ,and to be fair MM didnt help with his comments about the Stoke game and the manner in which we were beaten.

If we had a better replacement then yes i would feel ok with it but who would be inline for the job ?..In my eyes Danny Wilson looks ok but not exactly setting world alight and in a similar position to us at MK dons albeit a div below us . and even he couldnt keep them up with lack of cash !.. Mcarthy i think wouldnt take the job and any other manager would have to have a while to get up to speed with our current situation .. So in the end MM isnt that bad an option :glare:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
ditchy said:
Personally i would give him the chance until xmas in this division. if we are not in a relative strong and challenging position ,then i would say goodbye ..I think DK is right it is a kneejerk reaction ,and to be fair MM didnt help with his comments about the Stoke game and the manner in which we were beaten.

If we had a better replacement then yes i would feel ok with it but who would be inline for the job ?..In my eyes Danny Wilson looks ok but not exactly setting world alight and in a similar position to us at MK dons albeit a div below us . and even he couldnt keep them up with lack of cash !.. Mcarthy i think wouldnt take the job and any other manager would have to have a while to get up to speed with our current situation .. So in the end MM isnt that bad an option :glare:

What he said, totally agree.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
London Irish said:
It appears the "blame culture" is only heading in one direction. It's one standard for McGhee and one for everyone else. I don't think anyone should go, our financial circumstances post-Goldstone sale are the true underlying cause of our current problems but that's not a sexy enough reason for some and crucially, for Mr Anonymous, the "major investor". We need a feeding frenzy and a public beheading to distract the masses in our time of difficulty - so let the grisly show commence.

LI, I think you've got it spot on. To sack McGhee woudl leave a bitter taste in my mouth. What shocks me is that this mysterious investor wants Mcghee to go Why? Has he been seduced by the blame-shifting and the naivety of some of our supporters?

The real reasons without doubt are that we have no money, few resources and large debts. Once falmer became an issue again all our prospects dimmed. The players tried hard but they weren't good enough. So who's to blame? I cannot see that McGhee could have done much differently. The quote that London Irish has from McGhee on April 17th will make me gag if we sack him because we will have proved that McGhee was also naive to think of our club in this way.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Uncle Spielberg said:
If its true and Mark is walking tomorrow I can't help but feel a bit sorry for the guy. I would have had no complaints if he stayed even though the wheels well and truely came off in the last 3 months all things considered.

After all is said and done.

Thanks Mark McGhee for the promotion
Thanks Mark McGhee for the day out at Cardiff
Thanks Mark Mcghee for a great first season in the championship.

Good luck.

We'll meet again don't know where don't know when but I know we'll meet again one Sunny day.

Though i want him to go now - You have summed up my thoughts - thanks Mcghee - good luck
:clap: :clap: :clap:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We need a feeding frenzy and a public beheading to distract the masses in our time of difficulty - so let the grisly show commence.

Too many folks go to look up theentry for 'manager' in the dictionary, find it, and then, lo and behold, their eyes go wandering off to the definition of 'magician'.

If anything, it's worse at the premiership level, but there's no shortage of magical thinking in League One.

Which would improve BHA more, and faster?

a.) Half a million quid, and my cat Max on the sidelines

b.) Jose Mourinho, assuming ex hypothesi he's paid ten grand a year.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Is the footballing issue the most important issue here? Within reason I don't think it will make too much difference who is the manager next year. We won't get promoted, we'll win a few more, lose a few less, score a few more, concede a few less.

The real issue for me is if "investor X" uses the Mcghee question (to whom Knight seems to have pretty much hitched his wagon) to weaken DK's position to such an extent that Dick says "f*** it" and we lose the man who I feel is most responsible for keeping us alive thus far.

The manager is expendable (though I think MM will make a decent fist of LG 1); the chairman is not.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
thank you mark - just time to go

Yoda

English & European
Why have people been saying in here that the Coca-Cola money is being used for ALL of CKR's wages. It's only being used for PART of it, something like the first year. We still had to BUY him off Bury. About £100,000-£150,000 I've heard batted around.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
All of this is a touch premature don't you think? We only have it on the word of the Argus that he is about to go, nothing else has come from the club yet?

It's interesting though, football clubs seem to go through significant change every now and again, and we remind ourselves that we haven't actually had a change at the very top for 9 years now, which is a fair time for somebody to remain in charge. MM is unquestionably the victim of a power struggle at the top, and not because this mystery investor particularly wants to sack the manager, but to remind DK that one person doesn't run this club, as he promised when he took over.

My concern is that we have a fan at the top right now, would his successor should it come to that be fan too?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Uncle Spielberg said:
Thanks Adam Virgo for the promotion
Thanks Adam Virgo for the day out at Cardiff
Thanks Adam Virgo for a great first season in the championship.

Good luck.

We'll meet again don't know where don't know when but I know we'll meet again one Sunny day.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If McGhee goes I'll certainly thank him for what he's done. He's had some successes in very difficult circumstances, and worked very hard. Cardiff was great.

But I just won't be as bothered as I would have been even six months ago.

I think he's made enough mistakes this season to have undermined some of the confidence in him.

Personally, I would have given him until at least October - but I've followed football for over 30 years, it's a results business, and managers have gone far earlier and for a lot less poor a record than his. And often when that happens, a cloud lifts, and it's a new start for everyone.

It doesn't give me any pleasure to say it, but McGhee has got bogged down with the Falmer thing and used it as an excuse for everything. There were still other aspects of his job he could be in control of, but wasn't.

We all know the financial restrictions, but a good experienced manager with good contacts in the game should have worked the loan system better than he did last season, and it cost us.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
ditchy said:
I think DK is right it is a kneejerk reaction

I just can't see this as any other than a convienient excuse - the disquiet has been building seriously since the surrender to Coventry in the cup, although there were always grumblings before. The consensus against McGhee is the product of MONTHS of incompetence, not a reaction to relegation, which, after all, we've known has been coming for almost as long.

If McGhee had the team and the crowd on-side, then yes, it would appropriate to re-assess after he's had a stab at League One. As that's not the case, however, he's only taking the club in one direction.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The problem I have with a "wait and see" approach to the manager is that because of the transfer window if McGhee starts poorly the season could be a write-off by Christmas, and that's the last thing the club and fans need after the one we've just had.

Look at Forest. If they'd had the balls to sack Megson earlier they'd probably be in automatic promotion now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here