Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks Mark McGhee

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why don't Android and Kev piss orf and leave this thread to people with something to say about McGhee - rather than about each other.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Uncle Spielberg said:
If its true and Mark is walking tomorrow I can't help but feel a bit sorry for the guy. I would have had no complaints if he stayed even though the wheels well and truely came off in the last 3 months all things considered.

After all is said and done.

Thanks Mark McGhee for the promotion
Thanks Mark McGhee for the day out at Cardiff
Thanks Mark Mcghee for a great first season in the championship.

Good luck.

We'll meet again don't know where don't know when but I know we'll meet again one Sunny day.

Very well said US. MM has ( if he goes ) left us with some fantastic memories. I would like to add to the list The Palace result, All our points against Leeds and a great day out at White Hart Lane.

If you go then I think you have been harshly dealt with and I hope you have every success in the future.:thumbsup:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
If he goes, he goes with a clear conscience. I don't tkink that anyone would have achieved more with such limited resources at his disposal.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think it is rich that (seemingly) half the club's board want to get rid of him when they failed to provide him funds to build a squad.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
e77 said:
I think it is rich that (seemingly) half the club's board want to get rid of him when they failed to provide him funds to build a squad.

Totally agree. We have been under unbelievable constraints these last 2 or 3 years. More so than ever before.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
maidstoneseagull said:
I don't think the job he has had to do on such limited resources can be underestimated. I think he should be here next season.

LIMITED RESOURCES????

Turienzo cost us £250k
We got a further £250k from Coca Cola
£1mil for Virgo

Are you telling me that coupled with the Virgo & Knight money he's had limited resources? do me a favour. He has had more money to spend than Adams, Coppel AND Taylor and that's one of the main reasons he has to go.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
supaseagull said:
LIMITED RESOURCES????

Turienzo cost us £250k
£1mil for Virgo

Are you telling me that coupled with the Virgo & Knight money he's had limited resources? do me a favour. He has had more money to spend than Adams, Coppel AND Taylor and that's one of the main reasons he has to go.

I don't remember him having any of the Virgo money to spend?
or Harding, Currie, Cullip and only a small percentage of Knights.
If he had it what did he spend it on?

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So who has said he'll walk without a pay off?

If that's the case he should have gone in the first week of January.

If the Board don't have to pay him off what's there to discuss?

His record, results wise, this season is awful, and the football played some of the worst I can remember.

There will be loads of applicants, most of which will see us as a short to medium term stepping stone - but after the season of dross we've just had I don't care - I just want somebody to come along and put a bit of pride and spirt back into our team.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
Well, someone at the club is clearly telling porkies then. Knight definately said that when Virgs was sold, MM would get a considerable portion of the money to spend on playing side....I think that he was even quoted on SCR as saying this....can anyone confirm?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
supaseagull said:
Well, someone at the club is clearly telling porkies then. Knight definately said that when Virgs was sold, MM would get a considerable portion of the money to spend on playing side....I think that he was even quoted on SCR as saying this....can anyone confirm?

He got Turienzo and the two French lads in who i seriously doubt cost more than £500k between them, probably more like £200-£300k (CKR being funded by Coke, obviously).

Henderson cost about 25p in January.

supaseagull said:
LIMITED RESOURCES????

Turienzo cost us £250k
£1mil for Virgo

El Turi did not cost us £250k - it is a totally unconfirmed six-figure fee variously estimated at between £100k and £150k.

The £250k from Coca-Cola was a total OVER THREE YEARS! If you do the sums you'll realise that CKR can't be on more than £1k a week, which shows the pitiful part of the transfer market we have to deal in - and you're boasting about that as McGhee's resources :nono:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
What, respectively, have Brighton, Crewe, Millwall and Sheffield Wednesday spent last season?

Not that that's all of it, of course, but just curious for any guesstimates... You obviously have had precious little pittance to play with, of course. And Wednesday got very, very fortunate with somehow getting the Liverpool keeper on loan...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anyway, my point is that a lot of people on here claim the buck stops with MM and he has made mistakes but a lot of people working at the club need to have a good long look at themselves and think if they could have done more this season.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
London Irish said:
El

The £250k from Coca-Cola was a total OVER THREE YEARS! If you do the sums you'll realise that CKR can't be on more than £1k a week, which shows the pitiful part of the transfer market we have to deal in - and you're boasting about that as McGhee's resources :nono:

As part of the agreement of winning the CC comp, we had to spend the £250k BEFORE transfer deadline day August 2005. If we did not spend it before then, we would lose the money...I do not have the foggiest where you have got the three years from:nono:

As for the rest of the money, he still has had considerably more to spend then many a manager...ironically, since when Barry Lloyd was in charge and bought Mark Farrington :lolol:

supaseagull said:

Knight did indeed say that a year ago but recent stories suggest McGhee never saw a cent of that money. That's why Knight has fought McGhee's corner so hard - he realised that the relegation could only be a collective responsibility of management, board members and investors - collective responsibility - "we" - was how he mapped out the process of our relegation in his programme notes for the Stoke game!

Now, however, Knight is being railroaded into changing his stance because of the impasse created by the "major investor" and other board figures.

Knight now has a simple choice, destroy the future unity of the board and potentially compromise his own position, or shaft McGhee.

At the end of the day, he must choose the unity of the board - but what a bitter taste this will leave!

Look at his progamme notes on Sunday, all the reasons diligently listed explaining the reasons why we did not have the players to beat relegation, injuries, unavailability of signings, distractions of the Falmer battle - none getting near pointing the finger at McGhee.

Now it looks like Knight will be forced to perform this week some grisly pantomine by those now really pulling the strings at the club and say, "actually it was none of those things, it was all the manager's fault so we're sacking him".

That is going to create a fairly sizable gap of credibility for our board.

It would be nice if those of us in this thread who want McGhee to survive could pass on such views to the "major investor", wouldn't it?

For some reason this hero won't come out of the shadows and tell us who he is though - even though he probably under the delusion he is acting on behalf of Albion fans.

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Past history shows that DK can easily forget what a manager has done for the club in difficult circumstances.
The treatment of Steve Grit still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here