Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks Mark McGhee

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
London Irish said:
Knight did indeed say that a year ago but recent stories suggest McGhee never saw a cent of that money. That's why Knight has fought McGhee's corner so hard - he realised that the relegation could only be a collective responsibility of management, board members and investors - collective responsibility - "we" - was how he mapped out the process of our relegation in his programme notes for the Stoke game!

... so... McGhee goes, but he and they all go too...?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
supaseagull said:
As part of the agreement of winning the CC comp, we had to spend the £250k BEFORE transfer deadline day August 2005. If we did not spend it before then, we would lose the money...I do not have the foggiest where you have got the three years from:nono:

In LI's defence, I'm pretty sure he's correct there. The money had "to be spent" , but was available for wages as well as a transfer fee. If not, a bit of a crap prize don't you think.

I'm sure he's spot on.

Oct 25, 2003
supaseagull said:
LIMITED RESOURCES????

Turienzo cost us £250k
We got a further £250k from Coca Cola
£1mil for Virgo

Are you telling me that coupled with the Virgo & Knight money he's had limited resources? do me a favour. He has had more money to spend than Adams, Coppel AND Taylor and that's one of the main reasons he has to go.

for a start, to be pedantic, everyone has limited resources, if we didn't it'd be like some kind of weird form of communism...anyway...

1) turienzo didn't cost £250k....he cost a "six figure sum" probably somewhere inbetween £100k and £150k

2) yes, we got £250k from coca cola, but that had to stretch over transfer fee and wages, so didn't really go that far

3) £1.5m for virgo, and that was needed to keep the club alive, i doubt mcghee saw a penny

4) adams managed us in the THIRD division and briefly the SECOND division, giving him the transfer budget of a div 1 club would be stupid....he spent a fair bit more than most in that league, hence we won it

5) taylor was only here for half a season.....in that time he actually signed NO-ONE on a full time basis....a loan here and there, a short term here and there...again, he was in the SECOND DIVISION

6) coppell was with us simply to keep us up.....his signings consisted mainly of free transfers in div 1 (rodger, blackwell, beasent) and loans (ingimarsson, sidwell)...he was given the funds to bid for sidwell, so he was hardly stuck for a penny...once relegated he sold zamora for the same fee as virgo, do you think that was available too? coppell signed knight(£50k?)....but was here for f*** all time, his signings were mainly short term ones...mcghee seems to want to build for the future, which naturally costs more DON'T IT

so really, he HAS had limited resources HASN'T HE

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2003
supaseagull said:
As part of the agreement of winning the CC comp, we had to spend the £250k BEFORE transfer deadline day August 2005. If we did not spend it before then, we would lose the money...I do not have the foggiest where you have got the three years from:nono:

As for the rest of the money, he still has had considerably more to spend then many a manager...ironically, since when Barry Lloyd was in charge and bought Mark Farrington :lolol:

the £250 has to pay for CKR for 3 years...including transfer fee and wages

read properly yeah?

SussexSpur said:
And Wednesday got very, very fortunate with somehow getting the Liverpool keeper on loan...

Not just that, but Tudgay the player who McGhee has been tracking for well over a year and Dean Burton - these latter two players ripped us apart at Withdean and were the real difference between the sides, as Sturrock admitted afterwards. He had the funds to get these players in the window, the board did not provide them for McGhee to get these players or similar quality.

Yet the board are now scapegoating McGhee for their collective failures. Nice dodge if you can get Albion fans to swallow it, and they seem off to a good start :nono:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
Not just that, but Tudgay the player who McGhee has been tracking for well over a year and Dean Burton - these latter two players ripped us apart at Withdean and were the real difference between the sides, as Sturrock admitted afterwards. He had the funds to get these players in the window, the board did not provide them for McGhee to get these players or similar quality.
So you're calling McGhee a liar? ???

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:

Yet the board are now scapegoating McGhee for their collective failures. Nice dodge if you can get Albion fans to swallow it, and they seem off to a good start :nono:

And never once have I heard MM say anything against the chairman or the board for the lack of backing.
In fact he always stated that they were working hard to find him the funds. These never appeared. so much for loyalty!!

Oct 25, 2003
knights line is always "the funds are in place"

these funds, i'd imagine, are in place, but are WAY short of what is needed to run a div 1 club...the lack of signings are basically because, anyone within our budget is............crap?

SussexSpur said:
... so... McGhee goes, but he and they all go too...?

It appears the "blame culture" is only heading in one direction. It's one standard for McGhee and one for everyone else. I don't think anyone should go, our financial circumstances post-Goldstone sale are the true underlying cause of our current problems but that's not a sexy enough reason for some and crucially, for Mr Anonymous, the "major investor". We need a feeding frenzy and a public beheading to distract the masses in our time of difficulty - so let the grisly show commence.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If this board now come up with the money to pay up his contract instead of investing it in players to keep us up, then they should be ashamed of themselves.

Oct 25, 2003
they will basically need to pay for a years wages.....i doubt he's on THAT much that the sum needed to pay him off would've made a big differance to our season

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
tommy boy said:
they will basically need to pay for a years wages.....i doubt he's on THAT much that the sum needed to pay him off would've made a big differance to our season

I am sure it would have been enough for a couple of good loan signings for the last couple of months of the season, that could have kept us in the division.

Last edited:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
If McGhee does have to be sacked and paid off, whither the Albion appeal of what, two years ago, soliciting donations from all who could...?
Making signings, goddammit, seem hard enough for Brighton's difficult circumstances and resources... obviously, if the board has no utter confidence at all in their employed manager, then they should find a way to move on, but for all the obvious, understandable anti-McGhee movements, Brighton probably have to tread more cannily and carefully than many other slapdash clubs...
Then appoint a Hinshelwood-esque figure, or someone like Graydon or Atkins or Rosenior who's accustomed to this, or similar, level, this pay but currently unemployed, and wanting to hitch on...
Good luck with whatever...

Actually, I think Clive Allen is primed to follow the Calderwood example after doing a sterling job with our reserve team, and would probably do a top job with a League One or League Two team... (just would rather keep him here for the time being...)

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Uncle Spielberg said:
If its true and Mark is walking tomorrow I can't help but feel a bit sorry for the guy. I would have had no complaints if he stayed even though the wheels well and truely came off in the last 3 months all things considered.

After all is said and done.

Thanks Mark McGhee for the promotion
Thanks Mark McGhee for the day out at Cardiff
Thanks Mark Mcghee for a great first season in the championship.

Good luck.

We'll meet again don't know where don't know when but I know we'll meet again one Sunny day.

Sanctimonious crap!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its time to stand and be counted

McGhee in

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Uncle Spielberg said:
Its time to stand and be counted

McGhee in

Thats one then.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Out- Lack of wins, lack of tactical nous, and lack of motivation.

Ok, so he did well with blooding young talent- but the talent has to be recommended to him by the youth and coaching set up- something he rightly had nothing to do with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here