Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Teenager in court for Maupay threat.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not a big fan of it meself to be honest. But the sooner ****s realise that vilely abusing and, in some cases, issuing death threats to decent people and their families comes with heavy personal consequences, the sooner it might stop

It's not stopped it thus far. It will always be a reactionary response, although social media companies are getting better.

You don't change society to change people, you change people to change society.

The best start would be for footballers etc just to not use social media at all and relegate everything to an NSC bear pit scenario. Allow the dregs of society to wallow and fight in their own cesspit.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He’s well and truly innit, in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This is why the boycott of social media isn’t going to work. The PL is international. Abuse is therefore international. If players think they can stop every robot and teenage from every country and culture around the world, many of whom are backward to say the least, from sending abuse electronically...it’s never going to happen. Just switch off. Or ignore. Simple and effective. You cannot control people’s idiocy.

I believe the idea behind the boycott of social media by sport is to get the social media platforms themselves to do something to restrict the racist abuse sent to players, etc. Either to introduce algorithms to detect and cancel those accounts that post abuse, or to have some form of sign up that would mean you have to supply verifiable identification when you sign up.
It would be a good thing if you had to take responsibility for anything you post online. It would also cancel out the bots that are a scourge on twitter.
I don’t know if the same thing can happen on Instagram and Facebook as I don’t do them.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Have always vaguely wondered how to pronounce Ng on account of the complete absence of vowels. Cmon NSC that sees all, knows all, do your duty here. Is it NIG? ING? Or something fairly unlikely that is neither of those?

Pronounced "Ing".
Massively common surname.

Out of curiosity, I searched my work Skype contacts for staff with the surname, "We found too many results to show them all. Please refine your search."

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It’s a bit more than that! It’s called the Rattan and it’s horrific. Barbaric and cruel, no place in 21st century civilised societies.

It was said tongue-in-cheek. I didn't mean the 10 year jail sentence with one year knocked off for each time he attended the Emirates either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pronounced "Ing".
Massively common surname.

Out of curiosity, I searched my work Skype contacts for staff with the surname, "We found too many results to show them all. Please refine your search."

Chinese colleagues in Vancouver, you say? ???

I was sent a graduation class photo from my old department at the uni there some years ago and every single student was enthic Chinese. Mostly with parents from Hong Kong (using a 'western' first name and two Chinese middle names). It is the same there still, I wonder?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Chinese colleagues in Vancouver, you say? ???

I was sent a graduation class photo from my old department at the uni there some years ago and every single student was enthic Chinese. Mostly with parents from Hong Kong (using a 'western' first name and two Chinese middle names). It is the same there still, I wonder?

Haha, who would have thought!

All of my Asian friends and colleagues here were born in Canada and mostly were given Western first names (or second names, used as first names) at birth.
One of my friends over here was 1 out of the 4 white guys in his year at high school, that was down in Surrey, BC (predominantly South Asian population).

Which Uni did you go to/work at? UBC/SFU?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's not stopped it thus far. It will always be a reactionary response, although social media companies are getting better.

You don't change society to change people, you change people to change society.

The best start would be for footballers etc just to not use social media at all and relegate everything to an NSC bear pit scenario. Allow the dregs of society to wallow and fight in their own cesspit.

One word with which I disagree. Letting people 'join teams' in there own echo chamber is what has always happened. Having them identified and dealt with is surely better than letting them get on with it in the privacy of their own internet space.

I really don't know how to do the 'dealing with' though. The older I get the less I feel that 'we should do something, anything' is the best plan. Something with a planned path to success, with in-built contingency in a continuous learning environment would be ideal, but I realise that life isn't like that. Sadly.

I expect to see a sudden change in social media in the next few months, though, with a change to the eternal chants of 'we cannot identify the user and if we could we are contractually obliged to not tell the cops' bolleaux. Perhaps if all of you nice people who use twitter (or whatever it is) stop using it, not just footballers, then the 'publishers' may act to save their income. Just a thought.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Haha, who would have thought!

All of my Asian friends and colleagues here were born in Canada and mostly were given Western first names (or second names, used as first names) at birth.
One of my friends over here was 1 out of the 4 white guys in his year at high school, that was down in Surrey, BC (predominantly South Asian population).

Which Uni did you go to/work at? UBC/SFU?

No change there, then, by the sounds of it. Canada had a great rule for Hong Kong hopefuls when the lease from China was running out - create jobs (can't recall how many) for locals and you can get citizenships. I never encountered racism of any type when I lived in Vancouver. There again, I never set foot in the boonies (boondocks - do they still use that term?) :wink:

I was at UBC between 82 and 86, doing my PhD. Four years of pure heaven :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
No change there, then, by the sounds of it. Canada had a great rule for Hong Kong hopefuls when the lease from China was running out - create jobs (can't recall how many) for locals and you can get citizenships. I never encountered racism of any type when I lived in Vancouver. There again, I never set foot in the boonies (boondocks - do they still use that term?) :wink:

I was at UBC between 82 and 86, doing my PhD. Four years of pure heaven :thumbsup:

Unfortunately this year (and last year) has seen record levels of anti-Asian discrimination. I personally have only encountered it once when an old white guy was uninvitedly complaining about immigrants in Canada, to me, an immigrant. Lovely irony.
There's also interesting (to me anyway?) issues/protests/rallies and sometimes violence between pro-China/CCP groups and HK/Chinese pro-democracy groups, almost all taking place in Vancouver and Richmond.

But all being said, I do believe Canada is one of the most Utopian melting pot societies in the world, but it'll never be perfect.

---

I absolutely love UBC and the surrounding area. I spent my first 3 years here in Kitsilano, riding my bike past Spanish Banks, through Point Grey and into the UBC grounds, so so peaceful and green.
Wreck beach is a great little beach too, did you ever go down there in the summers? A long long staircase down to it if you remember.

Did you see much else of BC whilst you were here, perhaps out to the Okanagan area?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unfortunately this year (and last year) has seen record levels of anti-Asian discrimination. I personally have only encountered it once when an old white guy was uninvitedly complaining about immigrants in Canada, to me, an immigrant. Lovely irony.
There's also interesting (to me anyway?) issues/protests/rallies and sometimes violence between pro-China/CCP groups and HK/Chinese pro-democracy groups, almost all taking place in Vancouver and Richmond.

But all being said, I do believe Canada is one of the most Utopian melting pot societies in the world, but it'll never be perfect.

---

I absolutely love UBC and the surrounding area. I spent my first 3 years here in Kitsilano, riding my bike past Spanish Banks, through Point Grey and into the UBC grounds, so so peaceful and green.
Wreck beach is a great little beach too, did you ever go down there in the summers? A long long staircase down to it if you remember.

Did you see much else of BC whilst you were here, perhaps out to the Okanagan area?

Yes, nowhere is perfect, but Vancouver had, and one imagines has, vast amounts of good stuff. It was the divorce capital of the world when I was there, though which, paradoxically seemed to be a product of wealth and opportunity - people would divorce over lifestyle issues like his ball games and her gym time meant 'we just drifted apart'. Still....people, eh? :lolol: Just boo the racists. BOO!

------

I lived in Kitsilano too. West 15th, West 16th and (the best) Waterloo. The conker trees were amazing. Canadian kids didn't play conkers and every autumn I found the conker covered streets to be like Narnia :lolol:

The other year I when I spent a week working there I stayed up on campus (Ponderosa commons) and of course went down to Wreck beach :wink: It was rather chilly though at the time. My favourite beach there is Third Beach (Stanley Park). A bit of sand, warm water and not covered in mountains of weed (as was Jericho and Locarno last time I was there). Our next family holiday, should Mrs T not have killed and eaten me before then, will be Vancouver.

My son (now 35) was born there and is a citizen (and prefers it here in Kent - FFS!).

Happy days, and more to come I hope. May you enjoy it for as long as you can :thumbsup:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Ng? What is he, an element?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does it really matter what his ethnic background is or whether he has anglicised first names.

Describing him as a teenager is seemingly trying to portray him as just a youngster. He's 19, may have been 17 or 18 when he sent the message. There's kids that age committing murder on the streets of London. Did Maupay know he was in Singapore or could he have been a student in London who might carry out his threat.

He gets what he deserves.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We probably all said or did regrettable things as a teenager if I was the player involved an apology would be enough. Saying that if it was a 40 plus idiot throw him in the slammer for year.

Erm. Did we all threaten to kill someone’s family? Even as a teenager, would never have crossed my mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here