Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Teenager in court for Maupay threat.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
A 19-year-old*man in Singapore has been handed a nine-month probation order after sending abusive messages - including death threats - to Brighton forward Neal Maupay.

Derek Ng has become the first person outside the UK to be convicted of sending abusive messages to a Premier League player.

He was arrested earlier this year, after he was tracked down following a joint investigation by the Premier League and authorities in Singapore.

‐--‐---------
Hopefully the process has put him and others doing the same.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
A 19-year-old*man in Singapore has been handed a nine-month probation order after sending abusive messages - including death threats - to Brighton forward Neal Maupay.

Derek Ng has become the first person outside the UK to be convicted of sending abusive messages to a Premier League player.

He was arrested earlier this year, after he was tracked down following a joint investigation by the Premier League and authorities in Singapore.

‐--‐---------
Hopefully the process has put him and others doing the same.

I'm not convinced 9 month probation is going to be much of a deterrent to internet trolls.

Was disappointed; I thought they would have been far tougher in their sentencing. Nothing more than a slap on the wrist really.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
And 40 hours community service and a night time curfew and counselling as well as the probation. I think that’s pretty much a good telling off.
It’s a start against trolls but a hellavulla lot more needs to be done.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm not convinced 9 month probation is going to be much of a deterrent to internet trolls.

Was disappointed; I thought they would have been far tougher in their sentencing. Nothing more than a slap on the wrist really.

The Singaporeans are known for their tough justice. Was even an offence until fairly recently, for men to wear their hair long.

They must be going soft in their old age. :)

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I do think too that Maupay's fellow professionals Leno (angry, accusing finger pointing) and Gendouzi (attempted post-match strangulation) need to bear some responsibility for this - the dim-witted teenager (fan not Gendouzi) probably felt he was justifiably acting on the behalf of his Arsenal heroes, no matter how skewed his logic. Great talent, fame and fortune comes with great responsibility too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here