Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] T20 World Cup 2022 in Australia

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Do they need to get as close as that??

Listening on TMS this morning, they suggested that Australia needed to win this by around 50 runs, just to get their NRR up to England's as it stands.

And obviously, by definition, ANY England win tomorrow improves the NRR to some extent.
My understanding was its Australias run rate minus Afghanistans run rate. Australia got 168 = +8.44 so if Afghanistan get 145 = 7.25 it would be an Australia win with a NRR of +1.19 which just edges them above us?

Happy to do be told otherwise though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BBC website seems to support what you are saying ..117 or less
That's pretty much the score mentioned on the Sky commentary. I thought they'd said 112 or maybe 116 as I wasn't paying sufficient interest, but it was certainly in the 11x ballpark.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
My understanding was its Australias run rate minus Afghanistans run rate. Australia got 168 = +8.44 so if Afghanistan get 145 = 7.25 it would be an Australia win with a NRR of +1.19 which just edges them above us?

Happy to do be told otherwise though.
Thing is Australia need to do more than just "edge ahead". They need to get far enough ahead to put pressure on England to not just win, but win with a solid buffer. It's also more complicated than you present it. They work out the NRR by looking at how many runs a team has scored, how many scored against them, and how many balls were available to be faced. So not quite as simple as saying "in game 1, NRR was -1, in game 2 it was +0.5, so now it's -0.5" - rain delays etc come into the calculations as well.

As it stands, I don't think they're going to manage to do that and will have to instead rely on England not winning.

Edit: Cricinfo are reporting the key number being 106. if Afghanistan get more than that, Australia will need England to lose.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As an aside, what a mess the weather has made of this tournament.

I don't think the ICC and cricket in general does anywhere near a good enough job of mitigating the weather. The matches abandoned and reliance on Duckworth Lewis in slippery conditions is absolutely ridiculous. If they had any brains about them the ICC would be looking at baseball and seeing how washouts are coped with - MLB teams play 162 games in 6 months and then post season after that whereas cricket just lets a bit of rain ruin its major tournaments. Pathetic in 2022.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

I don't think the ICC and cricket in general does anywhere near a good enough job of mitigating the weather. The matches abandoned and reliance on Duckworth Lewis in slippery conditions is absolutely ridiculous. If they had any brains about them the ICC would be looking at baseball and seeing how washouts are coped with - MLB teams play 162 games in 6 months and then post season after that whereas cricket just lets a bit of rain ruin its major tournaments. Pathetic in 2022.
At least for the semi's they have reserve days in case of rain. Any match interrupted by rain can be picked up and completed the next day, so we should hopefully get the full 20 overs per side for the semis and the final.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Thing is Australia need to do more than just "edge ahead". They need to get far enough ahead to put pressure on England to not just win, but win with a solid buffer. It's also more complicated than you present it. They work out the NRR by looking at how many runs a team has scored, how many scored against them, and how many balls were available to be faced. So not quite as simple as saying "in game 1, NRR was -1, in game 2 it was +0.5, so now it's -0.5" - rain delays etc come into the calculations as well.

As it stands, I don't think they're going to manage to do that and will have to instead rely on England not winning.

Edit: Cricinfo are reporting the key number being 106. if Afghanistan get more than that, Australia will need England to lose.
Fair enough! It’s cricket, why would it be simple?

Let’s not rule out an outright Afghanistan win here anyway.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Fair enough! It’s cricket, why would it be simple?

Let’s not rule out an outright Afghanistan win here anyway.
They're batting really well, definitely in with a shout of an upset win that sends England straight through.

Aussies are simply not on-song with T20 at the moment.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Agreed.

Two of Afghanistan's (five) games have been complete washouts. That can't be right for the highest level of competition.

I've also been disappointed with the crowds. I know the Adelaide Oval is big - c50k I think - but if this were in England on a Friday night the ground would be jam-packed and absolutely rocking. The Indian, Pakistan and Bangladesh fans have brought the colour and atmosphere, whilst the Aussies are, presumably, watching at home.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If Australia lose, then England would have to be absolutely battered by Sri Lanka.

Afghanistan collapsing now through - lost 3 wickets in 4 balls.
No, a Sri Lanka win takes them to 6 points with us on 5. NRR wouldn't come into it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
No, a Sri Lanka win takes them to 6 points with us on 5. NRR wouldn't come into it.
Ah yeah, missed that!

Anyway - we're now into England win (or the game gets washed out) and they go through territory (barring some very complicated permutations)

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Ah yeah, missed that!

Anyway - we're now into England win (or the game gets washed out) and they go through territory (barring some very complicated permutations)
If the England game gets washed out then Australia will be above us with a point more (I think, assuming Australia win this game).

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If the England game gets washed out then Australia will be above us with a point more (I think, assuming Australia win this game).
FFS, I'm having a 'mare today. Was still thinking in terms of if Aus were to lose. Still a possibility that Rashid Khan could nick it - 17 needed from 4 balls.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Australia win. England win tomorrow, and they go through. Sri Lanka win or a wash out, and Australia go through (where they'll get wiped out by whoever they face I suspect).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
🤞

weather.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here