Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Sussex v Somerset, LVCC 1, Hove, 4-7 September***

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
WTF?????

I go to a meeting and we are strolling along at 225-2 and forty minutes later all hell seems to have broken out.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yes, poor Malcolm died of cancer some time ago. Think he was barely over 40 when he died. One of the best quickies ever.

Indeed, saw him play at Arundel in Sussex v Hants one year - didn't go for many.
It was bowel cancer that did for him - believe I read somewhere that if he hadn't ignored the signs they may have been able to save him - very sad ....

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Well Murray got a decent score, shame he didn't get to 100.

Player of season Magoffin????

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Indeed, saw him play at Arundel in Sussex v Hants one year - didn't go for many.
It was bowel cancer that did for him - believe I read somewhere that if he hadn't ignored the signs they may have been able to save him - very sad ....

With most bowlers you can seem to compare one era with another e.g Joel Garner and Curtley Ambrose, but with Malcolm Marshall you cannot. I cannot think of a single bowler like him or to compare him to. An out and out quickie that was short and a skiddy sort of action that the ball seemed to gain pace after pitching....any comparisons anyone?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
With most bowlers you can seem to compare one era with another e.g Joel Garner and Curtley Ambrose, but with Malcolm Marshall you cannot. I cannot think of a single bowler like him or to compare him to. An out and out quickie that was short and a skiddy sort of action that the ball seemed to gain pace after pitching....any comparisons anyone?

A bazooka?

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove

Simmo, you are spot on. The best I ever saw in the flesh (and in the same side as the best batter, Viv...).

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Nearest I ever came to was Peter lever who played for lancashire and England in the lat sixties and early severnties. But he was no where near as quick as maco

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

Another thing about MM was that he had a front on bowling action, which is pretty rare too

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
"Goodwin walked off to a standing ovation. If he had to leave Sussex, and he has no wish to, this was not far short of how he might have imagined it: another glorious late summer’s day, a standing ovation from a decent, appreciative crowd and his young sons, Jaydon and Ashton, dashing onto the outfield to greet him as he crossed the boundary rope. His family have even made the trip from Australia to see him off."

This is on Cricinfo at the mo. Thought his departure had already been decided upon.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
"Goodwin walked off to a standing ovation. If he had to leave Sussex, and he has no wish to, this was not far short of how he might have imagined it: another glorious late summer’s day, a standing ovation from a decent, appreciative crowd and his young sons, Jaydon and Ashton, dashing onto the outfield to greet him as he crossed the boundary rope. His family have even made the trip from Australia to see him off."

He is leaving Sussex (I presume he has not been offered a contract for next season).

He has not retired. He is 39, maybe could do a job for a Div 2 Championship side needing a bit of experience for a couple of years.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Only 21 runs scored in last 10 overs, can't really see the point in not declaring if thats all we are going to do.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Warks are now just one wicket away from being crowned county champions.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
and there it is.

Worcestershire 60 & 209 (70.5 ov)
Warwickshire 471/8d

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Somerset 58-0 at tea, it's not quite the plan Sussex would have had.
Let's hope for a few wickets in the final session, maybe give Murray an over as he seems to have that last match magic going on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here