Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Sussex v Somerset, LVCC 1, Hove, 4-7 September***

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Ana, Jimmy Anyons other half:drool:

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
Muzzy

He is leaving Sussex (I presume he has not been offered a contract for next season).

He has not retired. He is 39, maybe could do a job for a Div 2 Championship side needing a bit of experience for a couple of years.

Muz did not and does not want to leave so not his decision - the clubs. This is his last game yet one more in season (local derby in Durham to come). He is not allowed by the club to play in that game and they did not want him to play in this game either. Six weeks ago he was coming back next season then Sunday morning told to leave straight away. Why? No way to treat anybody let alone someone who has given so much to GOSBTS.
Very very disappointed with the club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Muz did not and does not want to leave so not his decision - the clubs. This is his last game yet one more in season (local derby in Durham to come). He is not allowed by the club to play in that game and they did not want him to play in this game either. Six weeks ago he was coming back next season then Sunday morning told to leave straight away. Why? No way to treat anybody let alone someone who has given so much to GOSBTS.
Very very disappointed with the club.

If all that is true, I'm sure Murray would be dissappointed, but he's is a professional sportsman, who would accept that he's been rubbish at his job for two years (bar one single freakish innings at the end of last season). He's a passenger in that side now, and the club have been very patient with him, to be fair. Going into this game there was still a chance of the title - I'd be surprised if they were NOT considering leaving him out, given his form.

Would hate for him to finish on bad terms though. Hope its all smoothed over.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
If all that is true, I'm sure Murray would be dissappointed, but he's is a professional sportsman, who would accept that he's been rubbish at his job for two years (bar one single freakish innings at the end of last season). He's a passenger in that side now, and the club have been very patient with him, to be fair. Going into this game there was still a chance of the title - I'd be surprised if they were NOT considering leaving him out, given his form.

Would hate for him to finish on bad terms though. Hope its all smoothed over.

I concur, he has been terrible for two seasons.

Murray has been a great servant for Sussex and will go down as one of the legends in future years when the 2000's are looked back with nostalgia, along with Mushy, Grizzly, RMJ etc. but he has to go at some time.

It has been a nearly season for us. 2 group triumphs in the 2 limited overs comps, but then 2 semi defeats. 2nd in the county championship (hopefully) and the weak link we have had this season is the middle order (our first innings runs in the CC has been dreadful and time and again we have been gotten out of jail by brilliant bowling). Time for a change and with a little tweaking hopefully it will be an even better season next season.

Thanks Murray but you have got barely any runs in the last 2 seasons, it's time to look at other options.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

Murray has been a great servant for Sussex and will go down as one of the legends in future years when the 2000's are looked back with nostalgia, along with Mushy, Grizzly, RMJ etc. but he has to go at some time.

It has been a nearly season for us. 2 group triumphs in the 2 limited overs comps, but then 2 semi defeats. 2nd in the county championship (hopefully) and the weak link we have had this season is the middle order (our first innings runs in the CC has been dreadful and time and again we have been gotten out of jail by brilliant bowling). Time for a change and with a little tweaking hopefully it will be an even better season next season.

Thanks Murray but you have got barely any runs in the last 2 seasons, it's time to look at other options.

Simmo

Are you sure you mean 'a little tweaking'?

We have missed Murray's excellent contribution for nearly two seasons. Yardy is carrying personal problems. Wright whilst wonderful in the limited overs game has hardly been consistent. Gatting is not given a regular run and Brown..well what can I say.

Surely nearer an overhaul than tweaking?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Simmo

Are you sure you mean 'a little tweaking'?

We have missed Murray's excellent contribution for nearly two seasons. Yardy is carrying personal problems. Wright whilst wonderful in the limited overs game has hardly been consistent. Gatting is not given a regular run and Brown..well what can I say.

Surely nearer an overhaul than tweaking?

We have come (hopefully) 2nd in the CC, we have won our two leagues in the limited overs comps and then gone out in the semi's. We are not far away from winning trophies. We don't need a complete overhaul do we?

Don't get me wrong I have loved Muzza for what he has done, but we have needed runs from our middle order this season and they have fallen short and so sadly have we....just. Muzza is 40 in the next few months, Muzza has had 2 terrible seasons, it is the right call.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It does say in the paper today that he still thinks there's a chance of playing some part for us next season.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009

Muz has had a poor year for sure- 2 seasons though is plain wrong. 2011 he topped the averages for Sussex.Check cricinfo. Take out his 274* referred to elsewhere as "freakish" and he would have been second top scorer beyond Joyce so that cannot be jsutified. Sussex have been going through transition for a while and have no settled middle order. The times when 6/7/8 came in and changed the game should ot be forgotten when we won championships.
Les L the batting coach is 76 yrs old - do we not think Muz would make a brilliant coach when he packs up- see Nasher in Argus today what Muz has done for him.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Muz has had a poor year for sure- 2 seasons though is plain wrong. 2011 he topped the averages for Sussex.Check cricinfo. Take out his 274* referred to elsewhere as "freakish" and he would have been second top scorer beyond Joyce so that cannot be jsutified. Sussex have been going through transition for a while and have no settled middle order. The times when 6/7/8 came in and changed the game should ot be forgotten when we won championships.
Les L the batting coach is 76 yrs old - do we not think Muz would make a brilliant coach when he packs up- see Nasher in Argus today what Muz has done for him.

If Muzza was 29, there would be no way he should go, but he is 39 and will be 40 by the time next season starts (Gatting probably only stays because of his youth). Muzza thinks he can play on, Sussex don't. I tend to agree with Sussex (based on this seasons evidence). I, personally think maybe he could do a job at a CC2 side where the bowling is not as good as CC1.

There is no room for sentiment in sport, all players have to go at sometime, great coaches, managers (Alex Ferguson very much comes to mind) let players go at the right time. It is time for Murray to go, he can always come back as coach at any time, when the position becomes available.

Changing the subject ,slightly, it is time for a wicket isn't it????

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
do we not think Muz would make a brilliant coach when he packs up?.

I've no idea whether he would or not, but why do you think that? He's seemed unable to spot or correct the flaws in his own technique over the last 2 seasons, so why do you think he'd be able to do that for others.

Its like all the claims on here that Kuipers would make a brilliant Albion goalkeeping coach. Love the players in question, but really we have no idea whether they are in any way qualified or suited to a coaching role.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There's that wicket!

Magoffin to Barrow, OUT
AWR Barrow c Prior b Magoffin 40 (105m 98b 6x4 0x6) SR: 40.81

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
We need a wicket for sure but this match has seen 1 bring 4.

The way the club have handled it has been really poor and sometime all of that may come out....

Who will be our no 4 next year then. No doubt Sussex have somebody/ies lined up ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here