Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex uni union opposes falmer

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
reuters said:
the president is a hippy, he admits it. they are going to try and get the uni to oppses it.
i made very argument against them but it didn't help they were unaware of any of the facts.
they are threatening direct action if we start to build on the site, camping on the site to stop builders

Great, a legitamite excuse to attack students

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Hi,

I am actually the Vice-President of the University of Wolverhampton Students' Union. The way these things often work is that a small group of misinformed students can force motions through like this. This is often due to campus myths that get out of control.

I can think of a few examples of these myself. As a side-point, the University of Sussex Students' Union is well know for being a very active Union within NUS.

However, I would like to point out that not all Students' Unions have policies against Falmer, and neither does NUS. The vast majority of the University of Wolverhampton's students enjoy having a stadium (Molineux) 'on campus' and both the Students' Union and the University have had successful partnerships with Wolves in the past.

As soon as the stadium goes up, they will begin to see that the sporting benefits of having these facilities nearby will far outweigh any inconveniences that the stadium might bring.

Oh - and finally the Students' Union is completely seperate from the University, hence they may have differing policies.

Last edited:

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
strings said:
Hi,

I am actually the Vice-President of the University of Wolverhampton Students' Union. The way these things often work is that a small group of misinformed students can force motions through like this. This is often due to campus myths that get out of control.

I can think of a few examples of these myself. As a side-point, USSU is well know for being a very active Union within NUS.

However, I would like to point out that not all Students' Unions have policies against Falmer, and neither does NUS. The vast majority of the University of Wolverhampton's students enjoy having a stadium (Molineux) 'on campus' and both the Students' Union and the University have had successful partnerships with Wolves in the past.

As soon as the stadium goes up, they will begin to see that the sporting benefits of having these facilities nearby will far outweigh any inconveniences that the stadium might bring.

Oh - and finally the Students' Union is completely seperate from the University, hence they may have differing policies.

Shouldnt you be doing your home work, or pissed out your skull on half a strongbow?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Tubby Mondays said:
Shouldnt you be doing your home work, or pissed out your skull on half a strongbow?

Or doing my FULL TIME JOB rather than posting on NSC!

In all honesty, I just wanted to show that not all Students' Unions are so shortsighted.

Also, these things often aren't the fault of the President or the Vice-Presidents, if enough students want to turn up and vote on a mis-informed policy, they will do.

Last edited:

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
strings said:
Hi,

I can think of a few examples of these myself. As a side-point, USSU is well know for being a very active Union within NUS.

sorry never ment to implie that this would be nus policy as a member of varndean college nus i assure u that it wont be our policy.

sussex uni is unfortunetly full of anarchests who will suppoort this.
sussex is also famous for its activity to improve enviromental issues with its 'eco uni' policy

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
strings said:
Or doing my FULL TIME JOB rather than posting on NSC!

In all honesty, I just wanted to show that not all Students' Unions are so shortsighted.

Also, these things often aren't the fault of the President or the Vice-Presidents, if enough students want to turn up and vote on a mis-informed policy, they will do.

You presume Ive got a full time job.

Students misinformed?

Never!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Students unions are like the peoples fornt of Judea they all sit around passing motions and agrreing with each other and patting each othe ron the back about how radical and rebelious they are wihtout ACTUALLY doing anything except smelling a bit.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
:ohmy: i dont like this student slagging. thinking were all filthy slobs. now if you'll excuse me, i have to go finish stuffing baked beans down my housemates pants.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Tubby Mondays said:
You presume Ive got a full time job.

Students misinformed?

Never!

I wasn't assuming you had a full time job - I was pointing out that I have a full time job - which is where I am right now. (sorry - with hindsight, that was very badly worded!)

Anyway. I think my point stands - not all Students' Unions vote these things like this through. As I said, I do think it was a case of a mis-informed 'campus-rumour' getting out of control.

Last edited:

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
strings said:
I wasn't assuming you had a full time job - I was pointing out that I have a full time job - which is where I am right now. (sorry - with hindsight, that was very badly worded!)

Anyway. I think my point stands - not all Students' Unions vote these things like this through. As I said, I do think it was a case of a mis-informed 'campus-rumour' getting out of control.
:thumbsup:

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Surely Uni people will want the stadium so they don't have to delve into there tight pockets for traveling money. (well if the want to watch)

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
strings said:
I wasn't assuming you had a full time job - I was pointing out that I have a full time job - which is where I am right now.

its the president of sussex nus putting forward a motion that the union should oppose the stadium as it passed through the ugm it will go to council, its a very very out of hand rumour if they are planing on stopping the builders

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
In all honesty, most students that live on campus probaly won't care. Last year woulves tried a 'new city - new team' campaign and it really didn't work. Most students will carry on supporting the team from their home town/city.

However, I am sure the Athletics Union will benefit massively from all of the new sporting facilities that they will probaly get to use as a result of the stadium being built.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
reuters said:
they are threatening direct action if we start to build on the site, camping on the site to stop builders

Yay! I'm going to fly home and beat the f*** out of them with a fine selection of cricket and baseball bats and golf clubs. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
reuters said:
its the president of sussex nus putting forward a motion that the union should oppose the stadium as it passed through the ugm it will go to council, its a very very out of hand rumour if they are planing on stopping the builders

Argh!

I'll make sure I have a chat to Sussex's President at NUS conference later this month!

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
strings said:
Argh!

I'll make sure I have a chat to Sussex's President at NUS conference later this month!

i'm in contact with him all the time will continue these arguments. u seem to assume he will get to conference he has to win the vote.

i'll be there tho:wave:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
reuters said:
i'm in contact with him all the time will continue these arguments. u seem to assume he will get to conference he has to win the vote.

i'll be there tho:wave:

I assumed the vote had already happened - it has here.

I will see you in Blackpool then Mr reuters.

:wave:

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
...and I'll have a word with him if he's in tomorrow (if I can *ever* get him on the phone).

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
reuters said:
the president is a hippy, he admits it. they are going to try and get the uni to oppses it.
i made very argument against them but it didn't help they were unaware of any of the facts.

So Sussex Uni students are going to camp on Brighton Uni land - that'll be popular I'm sure!!

My experience of Student Union Exec Committees is that they are basically a minority elected by a minority, and are a political irrelevance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here