Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
2nd highest batting and 2nd lowest bowling points in the division says it all. Why would any young kid want to be a bowler these days when the wickets are so batter friendly?

We've also had an England bowler missing all season (and two others missing most of the season). Our main spinner has also been out all season and we've had several other young bowlers missing through injury.

There's a lot of work to do on our bowlers but we've not had much luck this year

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We've also had an England bowler missing all season (and two others missing most of the season). Our main spinner has also been out all season and we've had several other young bowlers missing through injury.

There's a lot of work to do on our bowlers but we've not had much luck this year

Not disagreeing but I do wonder where playing for Sussex in Div 2 CC comes in the priority list for Archer, Robbo and Garton for this year, next year ……..

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Not disagreeing but I do wonder where playing for Sussex in Div 2 CC comes in the priority list for Archer, Robbo and Garton for this year, next year ……..

Archer and Robbo both have to prove their fitness after missing a lot of cricket in the last year or so. Probably much less pressure to do that here than with a move to a 'big' County. If it all goes well (and I hope it does) then realistically they would end up back in the England squad and we wouldn't be paying them anyway. Garton is more interesting in the sense that he also needs to prove his fitness but may be more likely to think he needs to go somewhere else to raise his profile.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Archer and Robbo both have to prove their fitness after missing a lot of cricket in the last year or so. Probably much less pressure to do that here than with a move to a 'big' County. If it all goes well (and I hope it does) then realistically they would end up back in the England squad and we wouldn't be paying them anyway. Garton is more interesting in the sense that he also needs to prove his fitness but may be more likely to think he needs to go somewhere else to raise his profile.

I agree about Garton maybe wanting a change of scene. There’s a fast bowling vacancy at Warwicks.
It wouldn’t surprise me if any of Robinson, Garton or Archer filled it.
The logic of staying at Sussex as they need to regain fitness, makes sense but sadly for us if often doesn’t work like that. They tend to leave us.
As for Robinson , he has a big old job getting back in the England team.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Have we been unlucky for last few years as well

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Have we been unlucky for last few years as well

Our bowling has been generally OK over the previous few years pre covid. That’s almost entirely down to one player, but the point stands.
Our batting has been worse. Progress has been made on this, this season albeit on road wickets against some modest attacks.
I’m feeling optimistic about next season. IF a fired up Robinson was back, and we recruited another quick, we would be up there.

Last edited:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Squad announced for the Notts game. Robinson included! Even with 5 other injuries to bowlers the side looks significantly better.

Finn rested, Atkins and Crocombe still have their shoulder niggles so miss out alongside longer absentees Archer, Carson and Garton.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Even with Robbo, this is going to be a one-sided contest. We're not only missing Haines, we're missing Alsop too.

There's a lot resting on Pujara for this game - get him out cheaply and this could be over in two days.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Even with Robbo, this is going to be a one-sided contest. We're not only missing Haines, we're missing Alsop too.

There's a lot resting on Pujara for this game - get him out cheaply and this could be over in two days.

That's an unreasonably pessimistic forecast. Sure we'll miss those batsmen, but having Robbo back, if he is fit, is a huge bonus. I think we'll make a game of it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's an unreasonably pessimistic forecast. Sure we'll miss those batsmen, but having Robbo back, if he is fit, is a huge bonus. I think we'll make a game of it.

We're going to have a tail that starts at 6 - that's a lot of pressure on a top 5 (four of whom are under 22, one of them only 17). A fit Robbo won't make much difference if we don't make the runs

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
We're going to have a tail that starts at 6 - that's a lot of pressure on a top 5 (four of whom are under 22, one of them only 17). A fit Robbo won't make much difference if we don't make the runs

A bit unfair. Ibrahim, Lenham and Karvelas have all shown they can handle a bat. Let's see.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Finn rested again - did we only give him half a contract?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Notts chugging along at 5 an over ... after Sussex put them in :facepalm:

Interestingly, Pujara is captain although Robbo is official VC. What's that about?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ibrahim is at 5, I wasn't counting him - there's a difference in being able to handle a bat and make serious runs

Dan Ibrahim is not playing, according to the BBC?

Ali Orr
Tom Clark
Fynn Hudson-Prentice
Cheteshwar Pujara(c)
Oli Carter(wk)
James Coles
Aristides Karvelas
Archie Lenham
Ollie Robinson
Brad Currie
Sean Hunt

thedonkeycentrehalf